Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Deflated  (Read 2617 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Deflated
« on: October 26, 2020, 11:01:44 AM »
I know I should be thrilled that we managed to reach the final.

I realise our turnaround under Lee has been utterly breathtaking.

I'm fully aware that Covid had a massive impact on our team.

I get that no-one really expected us to beat Exeter and we pushed them to the line.

I can see that one dodgy reffing decision could have made us Champions.

I know that our team is really young and only going to get better.

They are all huge positives, and I should be really pleased and excited.

But I'm not.

I'm still gutted.  Completely deflated.  I watched that game with no expectations, but the longer it went on the more I began to believe we could genuinely do it.  It could have gone either way and we could have easily lifted that trophy.  So when one dodgy decision and a miss throw snatched it away it felt more unfair than ever.

Maybe it is because that season went on for such a long time, maybe it's just because life is so much tougher for everyone right now, maybe it is just that I finally believed we could for the first time in over a decade.  But I am so much more disappointed than I was in 2017.

Anyone else feeling the same?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Deflated
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:11 AM »
Hi VV,

I feel the exact same. I really felt that Exeter were there for the taking and unfortunately we couldn't grasp it with both hands. With the turnaround we've had, and how good we are looking now, I'm really hoping that this isn't our last final for another few seasons.

I also sadly find myself somewhat bitter about Exeter winning, which is a shame considering they have had such a meteoric rise. But, hey, I'm sure I'm the odd one out on this.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
I get what you mean... I honestly thought we'd have the fairy tale season Exeter had when we last met in the final. I thought we'd seek revenge after losing it last time. I thought we'd spoil the party. I thought everything was trying to stop us but we'd do it.

But we didn't. I was unbelievably disappointed, but that was a problem with myself and childish attitude of never seeing my team(s) win any trophies.

It's sport, so the only thing you can do is try again next season. Plus for us we had half a season to be as good as Exeter, and we are there abouts close. Here's hoping with squad certainty, learning from mistakes and developing a young squad we can improve and beat them next time. I think we're where Exeter were when they got to their first final.

Plus the amount of incredible performances to rewatch is countless. Incredibly proud of the boys.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »
Simply - yup!
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 12:00:32 PM »
I am emotionally lacking. Finding it hard to whip up some enthusiasm.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 12:30:55 PM »
I'm completely the opposite.

Couldn't be more happy - end of an amazing season, culminating in the training ground getting approval.

Yes we lost a match that we shouldn't have been able to win, what with the weather conditions, the lack of preparation and the missing players, but  the display the team put-on has left me in a really happy mood.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 12:58:55 PM »
I'm completely the opposite.

Couldn't be more happy - end of an amazing season, culminating in the training ground getting approval.

Yes we lost a match that we shouldn't have been able to win, what with the weather conditions, the lack of preparation and the missing players, but  the display the team put-on has left me in a really happy mood.
I'm with you Roger. There have been many occasions over the last couple of years when I've felt exasperated by the team's frustrating ability to lose concentration at vital moments. I started this season thinking we'd do well to avoid relegation, then Dai left. What has happened since has been extraordinary. The team spirit that has risen from the ashes has been completely uplifting. The enthusiasm of the younger players has been a huge factor in this. Lee Blackett and the team have done something amazing. Even in that deluge on Sat we actually managed to come within a whisker of beating the Exeter machine in their favourite conditions. Our backs have looked threatening for years, now our forwards are working as a unit at long last.

The future is dazzling as far as I'm concerned.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
A few other posters on the Final Match thread summed it up nicely - It's the hope that kills you.  I'm not sure anyone (or many people) genuinely expected us to be so close with 5 mins to go, albeit we might of all been hoping to be! To be so close and for it to have been such tight margins gave enough hope that we could do it that not doing it was utterly deflating.

I'm over it now and much more excited for what's to come for next season, a short 'off-season' probably suits us and allows us to continue on our roll, as opposed to a team like Tigers that has a lot more work to do. Immensely proud of the whole Team for turning around the season in the way they did.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »
I am feeling a mixture of emotions.

I'm still gutted about the result. I really thought we would win.

I'm a bit angry that none of our more experienced players questioned whether going for the tail of a line out in those conditions was the best idea.

I'm proud of the team. Up until Saracens's relegation was confirmed I genuinely feared we were facing the drop. Even when I left work to drive up for the Saracens game in February I took the view that there was nothing to play for. To get as far as we did was remarkable.

Most of all I'm excited. 2008 felt like the end of an era. 2017 felt like a one off. This time it feels like the start of a dynasty and that the final probably came a tad too soon. I cannot wait to see what this squad can do over the next few years.

They will learn from the last 5 minutes.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »
I'm a bit angry that none of our more experienced players questioned whether going for the tail of a line out in those conditions was the best idea.

Pretty sure it looked like experienced players making the call - Launch, Rowlands and Gaskell! Goodey suggested that the 3-pointer wasn't a banker.

With hindsight, a tap and go probably would have been the best option!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »

Either of our lineout plots from 2007  Heineken Cup final may have worked. Something unexpected. It was the long throw when our lineout was misfiring that was the issue.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 01:59:52 PM »
This  group of players and  their support staff  have taken the Club from bottom but one and near oblivion to three points from the top of the Premiership.  That is an incredible achievement.  I am full of admiration  and pride  for them.  The futurei is black and gold,  and the brightest it has  been for very many years.  Thank you all, gentlemen and ladies.  Thank  you.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
I'm deflated. I'm hugely proud of the lads and hope I can come and see them soon - but even though we've beaten up the EAs, been on fantasy form since after xmas, and have seen just what's possible, I still want to win every game, especially a final

I'm still a little gutted for '17's loss.....tbh and whilst I have nothing against the vast majority of Exeter fans, I'm getting pissed with the few who don't think we ought to be disappointed that we could play our best fit side......it's not an excuse  - it's an observation that we'd have liked to have started Brad, Kieron and Si and have Wonder Kid on the bench - especially when Exeter's advantage was focused through the pack....

I know we'll be back, and will improve and we have every chance of repeating the effort....but damn it!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 02:26:34 PM »

Pretty sure it looked like experienced players making the call - Launch, Rowlands and Gaskell! Goodey suggested that the 3-pointer wasn't a banker.

VV I'm kind of with you but only to a point. I'm not in the 'Just happy to be there camp'. We grafted, won our games and deserved to be there, no matter how unexpected it was, the two things aren't the same. We didn't win a raffle to get there and may not get there again for a while.

I haven't posted before now because of how pissed off I am. I can't wrap my head around how a captain of 68 England caps comes to the conclusion that in pissing rain and wind, against a team that has stolen our lineout all day, with pressure on a 2nd/3rd pick hooker...the best option is a lineout, not any line out, a long line out.
Its such a bad option it almost isn't even an option..I can't fathom it.
Whilst I can't prove it because I can't predict the future, that for me was a game loser and lost points aside, it drained the team of any remaining energy and we got pushed the length of the field. It's been said elsewhere so it's nothing new, getting it my chest I guess.
So deflated yes, but not as deflated as I am dumbfounded, disappointed and annoyed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:28:56 PM by Hymenoptera »

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 02:37:10 PM »
My feelings are pretty irrelevant really when compared to the blood, sweat and tears the players have put themselves through this season only to lose the final in those last few minutes. They are the one's that must really be deflated even though we all know they did themselves and the club proud.