Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Joe Launchbury, Dan Robson, Jacob Umaga and Jack Willis.  (Read 5546 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Launchbury, Dan Robson, Jacob Umaga and Jack Willis.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 07:31:35 PM »
I honestly couldn't choose between Umaga Smith and Simmonds. All are quality and I'd be happy with any getting a call up. I obviously have a slight preference because as Umaga gets experience in the international camp he improves further.

I think Umaga was picked due to similar playing style to Ford and how he gets used. I.e. Ford Farrell axis is similar to Umaga Gopperth axis. I could be wrong, but that's my hunch.

It's also incredible how England suddenly have 3 quality young fly halves available behind Ford and Farrell. It was originally just Smith, then Simmonds and then Umaga came along.

hopwood

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 07:38:59 PM »
In fact, Jacob has been picked to bring something different to the team, as England’s style evolves.

Eddie talking about Jacob.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54696130

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 08:31:30 PM »
I'd add that Jacob brings an understanding of Southern Hemisphere rugby that none of the others do.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hopwood

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 10:38:00 PM »
Eddie, Jacob and Sushi....

With George Ford set to miss Saturday's game in Rome through injury and Umaga a test rookie, Furbank could find himself on the bench offering cover at fullback and for captain Owen Farrell.
Furbank, who has only dabbled at flyhalf, had a less than stellar introduction to the test scene in England's defeat by France in their opening Six Nations game in February, though he looked more comfortable in his second game against Scotland.
"I believe he can be a very good 10, maybe that’s going to be a position that we consider him strongly for in the future," Jones said of the 24-year-old.
"I've always had this feeling and speaking to (Northampton coach) Chris Boyd has reinforced that he has got the ability to play 10. He has done that for Northampton at the end of games when Dan Biggar has done one of those giant leaps in the air and ended the wrong way so he is an exciting prospect there.
"He's got a calm demeanour, good catch and pass skills, a solid kicking game and he's a strong defender so he has all the attributes. Whether it happens during the autumn we are not sure but certainly in terms of preparation we will be pushing him in that direction."
Umaga, who scored a brilliant individual try for Wasps in Saturday's Premiership final defeat by Exeter, has also impressed Jones.
"I like the way he attacks the line and he reads the game well," the Australian said of the 22-year-old with a rich international pedigree. "You need a player who’s very instinctive - you can’t coach them to do it, they just do it."
Jones again drew on his Japanese heritage to speculate on how Umaga might come to follow All Black uncle Tana and his Samoan international father Mike into the international arena.
"Tens are like sushi chefs," he said. "It's a lifetime ambition and it generally takes you about 10 years before you can start making sushi.
"He is at the start of the apprenticeship and he might graduate very quickly and be able to make sushi at the corner stall and then he might be able to make sushi at a five-star restaurant. The development of the player is something no one knows.
"Dan Carter was at his best at 35 but the game is changing. When Mark Ella played he had probably 15 metres between him and the defence line. Now when the 10 has the ball he has literally three metres before someone is going to bang him.
"The ability to make decisions quickly is extraordinarily difficult. With those young guys I think you have got to be patient, you have got to allow them to come through. You have to identify those who have that instinctiveness about them and then try to bring them through."

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 10:43:10 PM »
Simmons and Smith have reached their peak.

Jacob has more potential IMO.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 08:24:32 AM »
so is Jones impying it'll be 10 years before Jacob starts?

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
If Eddie is considering Furbank in any position he seriously has a screew loose. Daly  is far and away a better fullback, so that's saying something. He's also been complete garbage for Saints at the end of season.

Must be a media wind-up.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
If Eddie is considering Furbank in any position he seriously has a screew loose. Daly  is far and away a better fullback, so that's saying something. He's also been complete garbage for Saints at the end of season.

Must be a media wind-up.

Furbank has really been poor since the restart but so have Northampton. To consider him at 10 however is more Eddie craziness.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
Malins is towering above Furbank in both positions..EJ is a clown

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
  + 1

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 05:39:39 PM »
Malins is a class act. He has impressed in all the Eng Age group sides.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
Malins has played well all season and seemlessly slipped into the Bristol side.

Furbank's confidence is shot and he needs to get a dozen good games under his belt for Saints before bothering the selectors again. But he will probably be a starter for Eddie now. :'(

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
If England need to win and score lots of points then EJ needs to pick a team that is best suited to do that. Italy will compete but don't have the fire power to trouble England so he should be able to throw in some inexperienced guys too and see how they perform with established players on the bench. I'd go with:

Malins, May, Slade, Lawrence, Thorley, Umaga, Robson, Obano, Dunn, West, Itoje, Launchbury, Willis, Underwood, Curry. Bench George, Genge/M Vunipola, Sinkler, J Hill/Ewels, Earl, Youngs, Farrell, Watson.

But of course we know he won't!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 06:54:56 PM »

Malins is a fantastic player, for me the one estate agent I always enjoyed watching, despite myself.
Furbank.......really?
Eddie determines that the criteria for selection has nothing to do with how you play, just how Edddie sees it in his crystal ball.

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »
Found this article by BT sport really interesting to show why EJ may have selected Umaga over Simmons down to how Wasps play off the 9 /10 /12 axis compared to Exeter. https://www.bt.com/sport/rugby-union/premiership-rugby/stats-behind-exeter-wasps-journey-to-premiership-final

Sry on phone if the link doesn't appear properly.