Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EA Thug on Atkinson  (Read 1679 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
EA Thug on Atkinson
« on: October 30, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »
Owen Farrell finally addresses his infamous eight-week-old red card

England out-half Owen Farrell has expressed his remorse for the dangerous tackle on Charlie Atkinson that left the Wasps teenager unconscious during a Gallagher Premiership match last month at Saracens.  

Farrell will make his first appearance since his high challenge on Atkinson on September 5 when he leads England in Saturday’s Guinness Six Nations clash with Italy.

The 29-year-old fly-half was shown a red card and banned for five matches, forcing him to miss the knockout phase of Saracens’ Champions Cup campaign which began with a quarter-final win over Leinster and ended in agonising semi-final defeat at Racing 92.

Speaking to media for the first time since his early September sending-off and subsequent ban, Farrell said: “No-one wants to be involved in an incident like. Not for it to end up the way it did – a player getting injured and myself getting sent off.

“There was no real intent to do that. That was never what I was trying to do, but at the same time that is what happened and you have a good look at yourself when that happens.

“In terms of technique, yeah, I want to get better. More than anything I’m excited to play,” he continued after England coach Eddie Jones gave him a vote of confidence to continue as captain and earn his 84th Test cap for his country in Rome.   

“I have been working on everything, not just tackling technique, which I would work on anyway. The main thing is I can’t wait to get out on the field and get playing.

“I am doing everything I can to make sure I am in the best place I possibly can be for Italy. I am in a position now where I can’t wait to play and I am looking forward to it.

Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: EA Thug on Atkinson
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 05:43:35 PM »
me, me, me, me, me ....

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »
"There was no real intent to do that"

You either have intent or you don't. I would normally give people the benefit of the doubt when using language like that, but as he has form with that sort of tackle ....

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
I guess all eyes will be on him tomorrow to see if his tackle technique has altered

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 06:17:04 PM »
It won't.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »
Half expected "he's an exciting player" or some sort of acknowledge of Atkinson more than a punching bag, nah ofcourse it's just him talking about himself.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »
The intention was clearly to hurt Atkinson with the tackle. That is not the same as harm, but by small margins of error one becomes the other.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 07:33:57 PM »
Some very passive language used there.

He wasn't involved in an incident like that  he caused an incident like that.

He talks like it was something he got caught up in and couldn't control. As opposed to deliberately blindsiding a teenager and causing him a traumatic brain injury.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »
a) it's not his first offence - c.f. on Robson and Watson amongst many
b) He came in from over 10m away with a clear sighting of the player he was going to "tackle" so it was never anything like a reaction tackle
c) His intent is clear from that he never even considered coming in low enough to make a legal tackle over the long period he had to make a decision

If as a player you regularly can't/won't control your tackling technique, especially when you have time to make a clear decision, then perhaps you ought not to be playing at all - especially not England captain.

It was a cheap shot he was 100% responsible for and for him to talk about himself just made clear the sort of person he is.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 11:47:46 AM »
The England captain is very unlikable.
Just like his head coach.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
He's really owning it isn't he. Basically says I want to play again. His arrogance somehow won't let him say anything that isn't immediately qualified.