Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injury Updates from BB  (Read 3253 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Injury Updates from BB
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:40:12 PM »
Seemed to be walking around ok at end of game. Better safe than sorry.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »
Unavailable Wasps players for the Gloucester game:

Malakai Fekitoa (shoulder, groin),
Ryan Mills (foot),
Marcus Watson (groin),
Sione Vailanu (ankle),
Rob Miller (knee),
Jacob Umaga (head),
Brad Shields (ankle). J
oe Launchbury, Dan Robson, Jack Willis (all England),
Will Rowlands (Wales) and Matteo Minozzi (Italy) are away on international duty.

So OK for props & locks from Sunday, back rows Alfie, YY and TW, 9s Sam and Ben, 10?? Big question mark - is Charlie fit? If so I would start him. Rest of the backs as last week.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 05:20:55 PM »
Sopoaga showed moments of being a suitable 10, but I'm not sure.... Reckon we'd start Sopoaga with Atkinson on the bench. But given Lima's our only suitable Fullback, perhaps start Atkinson at fly half, or Gopperth. But then 12 would be weekened... Hmmmm

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 05:29:19 PM »
Atkinson 10, Lima 15, Jimmy 12.

Put Booj and Paulo on the bench to cover wing and centre, Lima to cover 10 and Jimmy to cover 15.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 05:40:49 PM »
Atkinson 10, Lima 15, Jimmy 12.

Put Booj and Paulo on the bench to cover wing and centre, Lima to cover 10 and Jimmy to cover 15.

Yeahhhh I think that could work.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
Be very surprised if they think Atkinson is ready to start at 10...More likely Lima.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 09:25:12 PM »
Be very surprised if they think Atkinson is ready to start at 10...More likely Lima.

So Gopperth to Fullback and Le Bourgeois to 12? That could also work.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 06:15:08 AM »
I like watching Booj charging round the park, but is he really a 12 as the game is played now?

I think we'd have to make quite a few changes to our style as he doesn't come across as having the vision and distribution skills expected of a modern day 12.

Happy to be corrected by those who've seen more of him, especially at games where you get a much better perspective than on TV.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 07:48:30 AM »

I believe that he's meant to be a distributing 12, who has lots of experience at 10 and 15.
However, that experience is mostly at championship level.

We signed him when he was 28 (I believe) off the back of his best season. I wonder how many players can up their game to a new level in their late 20's.

He seems not to have the pace of a lot of modern centres, and I feel that he's generally a solid option (and I mean that with no disrespect)

The problem is that once he joined, he quickly became first choice due to long term injuries to other centres.
I don't feel he's a first choice inside centre for a top 4 side.
However I feel that if he'd fulfilled the role of 3rd choice who gets occasional opportunities in his first year or 2 to shine when called upon, then he would be seen in a more favourable light

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »

The problem is that once he joined, he quickly became first choice due to long term injuries to other centres.
I don't feel he's a first choice inside centre for a top 4 side.
However I feel that if he'd fulfilled the role of 3rd choice who gets occasional opportunities in his first year or 2 to shine when called upon, then he would be seen in a more favourable light

This 100%. He had to step up and be first choice when you'd have wanted him to have a season where he transitioned. Not that it will matter to him....but I always gave him a lot of leeway for this and for turning up and getting stuck in when we really needed centres.

FWIW, I though post lockdown especially, he's looked relaxed and for example, did not look out of place playing vs Sarries away, against basically a Euro last 4 team within a Wasps team short of first choices.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
Jimmy at 10; MLB and JDJ (or Odogwu) centre; Lima FB.

Think Lima has to stay at FB due to a shortage of other options.  Moving Jimmy to FB to accommodate Lima at 10 seems unnecessarily disruptive.  The other option of course is to start Atkinson at 10 and leave the rest as they were.  I'd love to see this, but would be the highest risk option.  The coaches will have a clearer idea than any of us as to whether Atkinson is up to it.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
I'd try and keep it simple. Sopoaga to 10. Will Simonds to 15.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 10:59:54 AM »
I'd try and keep it simple. Sopoaga to 10. Will Simonds to 15.

Is Simmonds not injured?

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
I'm thinking Kibirige to 15 and Odogwu to wing, Lima at 10, Jimmy/JdJ in the centre. Obviously Zack at 15 is not ideal but it strikes me as least-worst of all the scenarios. I think I remember him playing there for England U20s a few times, although that was a long time ago.

I don't think this is the game to throw new youngsters into, we're already missing too many players. Glaws have a few missing as well I suppose, Polledri is a big deal and they'll probably be short a couple of international wings but they'll be a lot less disrupted than us and desperate for a win after their debacle at Welford Road last weekend.

Hi by the way! First post here.