Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 9897 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2020, 05:08:16 PM »
Thing is we've done more than enough to win this, we've butchered so much quick ball it's almost unbelievable.

If Jimmy put his kicking boots on and Lima was left at home there would have been little in it irrespective or our inability to catch a rugby ball or have anything resembling a line out.

Its little things (and a big decision or two from the management) but we really aren't far off, the worry is losing becomes a habit. Europe may be a timely break.

Your kidding right, you have to be....

That was nothing short of embarrassing, I wouldn't be so positive in even calling it a bad performance...Bristol, was awful, last week was shamefull..this was tragic.
If EJ see's this game Umaga won't get near the England team again

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2020, 05:13:52 PM »
Most of our backs were awful.The lobbed passes were disastrous. The kicking was awful.

The line out throwing was awful - why do we gamble and throw long when it isn’t necessary?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2020, 05:15:12 PM »
Heads have dropped in font of goal.....

Baptism of fire?

Certainly need some holy water for a miracle to happen!

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2020, 05:16:57 PM »
I can't remember the last time we were this bad.
Just got to hope it's a short blip.
I fear it isn't.

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2020, 05:17:19 PM »
Look at the number of attacking sets where we had momentum, created numbers or on occasions had a simple walk in and it finished with us dropping the ball.

We weren't very good there is no doubt about that but equally we weren't far off winning. It isn't binary, you can be shit and still come away with a win.

They kicked their goals, we didn't. We dropped far too much simple ball, they didn't. We had Lima playing santa and giving our Christmas presents, they didn't. But ultimately its a 10 point game where we gifted them 7 and missed 5 off the tee.

Scrum was good, defense was OK, line out was a shambles and despite playing with soap covered hands we created a fair number of good scoring chances.

That was nowhere near as bad as this time last year. That was scratch side who after 2 minutes lost their main line out option and pack leader.

As I said, the worry is losing becomes a habit.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2020, 05:19:17 PM »
Heads have dropped in font of goal.....

Baptism of fire?

Certainly need some holy water for a miracle to happen!

Type in haste....repent at leisure?

We seemed to give up which was the worst of it all....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2020, 05:25:46 PM »
No excuses that was bad but

Remember this time last year. By now we were effectively out of Europe as well as almost propping up the bottom with Tigers. Players back might gee up training this week.  Hopefully.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2020, 05:28:13 PM »
Josh Caulfield did OK considering he wasn't match fit and came in late. He certainly didn't let himself down.

Alfie didn't let himself down at 8 either. He didn't look comfortable trying to control the ball in the scrum but carried well and towards the end was looking like a man possessed.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »
Think we may be able to add Douglas and Morris to the injury list. Barbeary at 8 didn't work for me (though we look out of options). I think Tom Cruse needs to get some games - by far our best thrower. Also thought Young was really poor today. Gave away two sloppy penalties and butchered a certain try. Where has his turnover ability gone? Problem is at the minute we don't have alternatives. We need a week of drilling on passing, kicking and discipline i.e. go back to basics. Don't know where that game leaves Sopoaga. Of all the errors I think his intercept pass was a big punch in the guts when it was a 12 point game and we were showing intent.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2020, 05:39:43 PM »
Well that was a bit of a horror show. Our two starting locks were off for HIAs before the first minute was up. Long throws at a lineout should never (IMO) be attempted unless you are pretty sure of regaining possession. Jimmy Gopps has lost his kicking boots, (didn't he miss one at Castle Grim?). Jacob missed touch from 2 penalties in quick succession. I don't think Alfie is an 8, though he played there probably out of necessity today. We couldn't hold onto  the ball and kept knocking on. Sops, who has been looking better at FB had a mare. I think he should have been subbed earlier than the 58th minute. Thomas Young does not seem to be much of a captain. Is he thoroughly pissed off by some of the back rows now playing for Wales?  How much do we miss Joe, Will, Jack and Dobby? I could go on but I won't >:( >:( >:(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
BTW: Does anyone know what happened and when to Jacob's cheek? That was one helluva swelling.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
Very underwhelming performance. I understand missing players through injury and internationals, but I think it's also confidence. For Newcastle's first try you knew it was coming with the metres they made and our defence almost giving up. Not seen the relentless desire at the end of last season. We've still not recovered from the final, we just need that motivation.

Perhaps we're thinking long term, play poor for 1 half drastically improve second half, almost worked last season right? (Sarcasm)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2020, 07:13:06 PM »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2020, 07:31:12 PM »
The irony is that we missed 7 points from the boot and gifted them 7 in return. Take that away and we would have sneaked an undeserved W.

The first half of the GP season is going to be very fragmented for us. The Heiny is a chance to get some momentum rolling before the next batch of GP games.

Personal choice for next week’s starting XV : (based on known injury situation)

West Cruse Brookes
Launchbury Rowlands
Willis J Young Barbeary
Robson Umaga
Bassett Gopperth Odogwu Kibirige
Minozzi

If that team cannot get a W at Rodney Parade then we have a real problem.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2020, 07:39:20 PM »
Not sure JL can play and for me Jimmy needs a break. Le Bourgeois will have to play. Agree Cruse should start.