Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Let's start a Match Thread  (Read 12146 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Let's start a Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »
A Leinster team full of 'squad' players easily beat Montpellier. They were never behind. They scored when they needed to, particularly down the blindside and out wide.

The Montpellier 10 looked pedestrian [Lozowski], and they played 4 lock forwards and one back row [Willemsee, Chalureau, Van Rensburg, Du Plessis - all 6' 7" or above].

And it didn't work.
Says the man that watched highlights.

I have watched the whole game now. Perhaps that is beyond your computational ability.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2020, 07:36:29 PM »
Montpelier looked pretty average to me. Too much size, not enough craft. I'd be extremely hopeful that we would beat them at home.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2020, 10:02:16 AM »
Telegraph report (I do like it that 2 Covid positives mean Dragons were under-strength, but Wasps with, basically, a full team out, were not)

Wasps overcome last-minute Covid fears to see off under-strength Dragons

Dragons 8 Wasps 24

Lee Blackett, the Wasps head coach, did not want a major pre-match issue to take away from his team’s Champions Cup victory over Dragons in Newport.

But the fact that the fixture could have fallen by the wayside due to positive Covid-19 tests on two of the Welsh side’s players, which Blackett only discovered hours before kick-off, overshadowed the game itself when he explained about it later.

It also overshadowed a gutsy Dragons display that put Wasps on the edge until two late tries from flankers Jack Willis and Thomas Young put them far enough ahead to win with a four-try bonus point.

Dragons’ squad tested negative during the week but contact testing results discovered on Thursday meant two home players needed retesting, which, on Friday, became positive.

Wasps were in Wales by the time they found out and the players were asked whether they wanted to play. Their reply was to do so.

Blackett said: “What has gone on in terms of Covid tests, you have to give a lot of credit to our players. For our guys to mentally get their heads back on and to come away with a result, I was very pleased with.

“I don’t want this to be a distraction, but it is what it is. We are living in this world and we know well and truly from the Premiership final that it is tough.

“I know how tough it would have been for Dean [Ryan, director of rugby] and everyone at the Dragons to turn out a performance, but they played well. With 10 or 15 minutes to go, the game was in the balance.”

But for a number of errors, Wasps could have been away from the Welsh region early on, but they came off at half-time with a try from hooker Tom Cruse and a superbly worked effort by scrum-half Dan Robson, along with a conversion from centre Jimmy Gopperth, to show for their efforts.

Dragons were just a penalty from fly-half Sam Davies to the good at this stage.

Yet a well-crafted try from Wales international wing Jonah Holmes, once of Leicester, which saw the ball thrown down the backs for Welsh centre Jamie Roberts to give the final pass, put the Dragons within striking distance.

There was nothing in it until Willis rolled around a maul from an attacking line-out to score with 11 minutes of the game left.

Three minutes later, Young snatched the ball inside the Dragons 22, found a gap and dived over for the fourth and bonus-point try, with Gopperth converting.

It was the first time the Dragons had played in Europe’s top competition since 2011, and Ryan admitted that it was difficult after the coronavirus incident the day before.

The former back row, who played for Wasps in the mid-1990s, said: “This week we had 100 per cent clear in testing on Tuesday, with a review of the Welsh Rugby Union that received an ‘excellent’.

“But it is part of life, it is part of the world, and we ended up with two symptomatic players on Friday, which is probably the worst time for us.

“So, we had to test and when it returned positives, it was late on Friday night and guys worked throughout the night to understand what that meant in terms of contact. It was difficult to work through.”
Match details

Scores 0-5 Cruse try; 3-5 Davies pen; 3-10 Robson try; 3-12 Gopperth con; 8-12 Holmes try; 8-17 Willis try; 8-22 Young try; 8-24 Gopperth con.

Dragons J Lewis; J Rosser, N Tompkins (J Dixon 69), J Roberts, J Holmes; S Davies, R Williams (T Knoyle 73); B Harris (J Reynolds 71), R Hibbard (E Dee. 59), A Jarvis, B Carter, J Maksymiw (J Davies. 65), L Evans, T Basham, O Griffiths (L Greggains 42).

Wasps L Sopoaga; Z Kibirige, P Odogwu, J Gopperth, J Bassett; C Atkinson (M Le Bourgeois 56), D Robson; T West, T Cruse (G Oghre 61), K Brookes (J Toomaga-Allen, 43) J Launchbury, W Rowlands, (B Morris), 74) J. Willis, T Young, A Barbeary.

Referee Romain Poite (France).

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2020, 10:08:44 AM »
I thought Dan was superb on Saturday, great to have him back. Hopefully this will lift the team's confidence and help get us back to winning ways.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2020, 03:57:38 PM »
A Leinster team full of 'squad' players easily beat Montpellier. They were never behind. They scored when they needed to, particularly down the blindside and out wide.

The Montpellier 10 looked pedestrian [Lozowski], and they played 4 lock forwards and one back row [Willemsee, Chalureau, Van Rensburg, Du Plessis - all 6' 7" or above].

And it didn't work.

I have watched the whole game now. Perhaps that is beyond your computational ability.
No, I can comprehend that someone has the ability to watch an entire game of rugby, congratulations you.
Now your opinion has some credibility.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »

And it didn't work.

No, I can comprehend that someone has the ability to watch an entire game of rugby, congratulations you.

This convertsation could fit well on the DW site  :(

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2020, 07:03:17 PM »

And it didn't work.

This convertsation could fit well on the DW site  :(

Indeed, I sincerely hope we don't continue to get the childish squabbles that inflicts the DrunkenWasps Forum as thats the reason I no longer visit it.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2020, 07:33:22 PM »
This is an exchange of views, squabble police with time on their hands are not required, plenty of other threads require input.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2020, 10:21:09 PM »
This is an exchange of views, squabble police with time on their hands are not required, plenty of other threads require input.

You're getting awfully spiky lately.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »
Is this now a mismatch thread?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2020, 12:33:19 AM »

Please don't make me close this thread.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »

Fill your boots VV but with respect this is a nothing thread, no nasties, no attacks, nothing personal, just a conversation that isn't the arse kissing norm. The only thing worse than the grammar police are the self riotous police that feel they need to offer their worthless opinion instead of walking past. Life isn't a love fest, lets not pretend it is, and BTW, that's OK.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »

Fill your boots VV but with respect this is a nothing thread, no nasties, no attacks, nothing personal, just a conversation that isn't the arse kissing norm. The only thing worse than the grammar police are the self riotous police that feel they need to offer their worthless opinion instead of walking past. Life isn't a love fest, lets not pretend it is, and BTW, that's OK.

In principle I might agree with you, but it is very easy to take something that exists only as words on a screen a little more personally than it might have been intended.

So we need to make the effort to be more considerate and for want of a better word nice.

This thread has not been considerate and "nice".
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2020, 05:54:14 PM »
Some 'nice' comments in a message forum, would get one a punch in the nose in a pub ::)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2020, 06:55:50 PM »

Your opinion and a pretty unnecessary comment to another poster = exchange of views

Other posters saying your post came across as spikey / petty = squabble police