Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Fiver Off Again  (Read 13981 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fiver Off Again
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »
I'm not sure he could mentor or coach anyone. I think for someone who plays so instinctively it must be very hard to teach it to someone else. .

I think it was Ackerman who spoke about this last season, insinuating the opposite - that actually, although taking one of a handful of options was instinctive/reactive to what he saw in front of him actually the patterns were very, very coachable and often coached and managed by Danny himself. 

I'm sure something similar was said when he was at Wasps, that he essentially demanded what lines/patterns be ran around him to provide the options. 

Umaga is the closest person I've seen to Cips in terms of playing/passing style.  The ability to have several options around him and almost effortlessly take the right one is brilliant to watch. 

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
I think it was Ackerman who spoke about this last season, insinuating the opposite - that actually, although taking one of a handful of options was instinctive/reactive to what he saw in front of him actually the patterns were very, very coachable and often coached and managed by Danny himself. 

It definitely wasn't all about instinct, he had plans to create a score - even from a young age. I'm sure many here remember a game - it must have been 2008 or 2009 - when he screamed his head off at Tom Voyce on the pitch because he hadn't followed Cips' instruction to stay wide. Later on in the game he did and they ran the same move and scored from it.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
He's just confirmed he's leaving on Social media.
No indication of whether it's right now or at the end of the season, or where he's going.

Given how it reads and the lack of an official announcement from Glaws (yet), it sounds like his departure wasn’t very mutual and is immediate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DannyCipriani87/status/1338833361666772994?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »
He's just confirmed he's leaving on Social media.
No indication of whether it's right now or at the end of the season, or where he's going.

Given how it reads and the lack of an official announcement from Glaws (yet), it sounds like his departure wasn’t very mutual and is immediate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DannyCipriani87/status/1338833361666772994?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

interesting to see that in what is often a cesspit of negativity the replies to this are just about all overwhelmingly positive!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 02:05:46 PM »
 After Danny left, we got Lima and our back play was consistently terrible up until around Dai's last match- and we got two years of being reminded in various places that Danny was not perfect and that Lima would come good and was a better player, which, with respect to those expressing that opinion, turned out to be mistaken.

I agree that Danny was not perfect, of course- we all remember his mistakes- but we used to win with him a lot more as starting 10 than not, which is not something Robinson, Lima et al could claim. Obviously it is not all about the ten,  but I am not even sure that we won >50% of matches with even Jimmy as starting 10.   If anyone has the stats to hand on that one it would be appreciated, btw.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »
After Danny left, we got Lima and our back play was consistently terrible up until around Dai's last match- and we got two years of being reminded in various places that Danny was not perfect and that Lima would come good and was a better player, which, with respect to those expressing that opinion, turned out to be mistaken.

I agree that Danny was not perfect, of course- we all remember his mistakes- but we used to win with him a lot more as starting 10 than not, which is not something Robinson, Lima et al could claim. Obviously it is not all about the ten,  but I am not even sure that we won >50% of matches with even Jimmy as starting 10.   If anyone has the stats to hand on that one it would be appreciated, btw.

Just remember it was Danny who refused to re-sign so Wasps had to go into the market and quickly. Yes we got Lima but at the time he was a full blown AB who seemed to have mastered the game down under. For a good many reasons Lima has never clicked. Also don't forget the boy wonder we now have spent time in NZ learning.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »
Wonder if the issue was with some of his old team mates in the coaching set up at Glaws?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2020, 02:44:03 PM »
Wonder if the issue was with some of his old team mates in the coaching set up at Glaws?

And the rumours mentioned by Andy Goode on Rugby Pod where Cips attempted to get Rory Teague head coach role going behind the back of head coaches/DOR at the time (Humphreys I believe), if true he may not be a favourite anywhere at Gloucester. But ofcourse that's from Goode so likely not true. But then again Teague left after these rumours of Humphreys depature surfaced.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »
According to my Gloucester source, Skivington has been trying to change the culture and stamp his authority on the squad. Cipriani was allowed to do what he want and run the show under Humphreys and Ackermann and clashed with Skivington who wasn't happy with this, resulting in him being given the option to leave immediately if he didn't wish to work under Skivington.

Apparently there's one other player who is close to leaving due to issues with Skivington... Ollie Thorley.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »

Yup
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »
Hastings is now signed for next season, which is presumably the underlying problem i.e. no contract extension.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2020, 04:26:21 PM »
According to my Gloucester source, Skivington has been trying to change the culture and stamp his authority on the squad. Cipriani was allowed to do what he want and run the show under Humphreys and Ackermann and clashed with Skivington who wasn't happy with this, resulting in him being given the option to leave immediately if he didn't wish to work under Skivington.

Apparently there's one other player who is close to leaving due to issues with Skivington... Ollie Thorley.

They'd be mad to get rid of Thorley, but that explains the Argentine back they recently signed. Going to be honest I'm not sure where Thorley would go, but if he's got attitude problems that does taint him a little... Sale perhaps?

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »
Teague to Sale with a fiver in his pocket?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »

Him and Waldouck used to be best mates didn't they.  Kinga was something of a mentor when Cips was coming through at Wasps as a youngster.  I know all of that was a long time ago and these things can change, but on the face of it, it looked like a coaching team he might have thrived under.