Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Will Rowland's departure a done deal?  (Read 1245 times)

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Will Rowland's departure a done deal?
« on: December 29, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »
Just wondering- in hope more than expectation- if Will's move to Wales has been confirmed rather than a widely circulated rumour?

It's just been reported that Welsh Lock Jake Ball is to retire from International rugby to spend more time with his family in Australia. With A.W. Jones not getting any younger, Wayne Pivac is going to be desperate for quality second row players, can't help wondering if the "balance of power" has shifted. It's all very well for the Welsh RFU to insist on players playing their rugby in Wales if they want to represent the country, but that only works if the nation is successful which they very much were under Gatland. Not so much now. If the best Welsh qualified locks decide not to play in Wales, can Pivac really afford not to pick them? Could we see the so-called Gatland's law quietly abandoned? Or perhaps "modified" to 10 caps rather than 60 before you can play elsewhere. On present form, Wales will be fighting it out for the Six Nations wooden spoon with Italy and that's with their first choice locks.

Will has now played against the Dragons- where I believe it is rumoured he is heading- and experienced Rodney Parade. It may have history but- no offence to The Dragons- the Ricoh Arena it is not. He may be Welsh qualified but he is also an Englishman who'd be playing in Wales with all the "banter" that will entail (For "banter" read hostility). He's also presently playing exciting rugby for the team who finished second in the Premiership last season, the Dragons rarely bother the top of the Pro14, would he really want to go there?

As I say, this is not based on anything concrete, just looking at how things stand and hope that Will is going to reconsider leaving and hold his nerve for the Welsh RFU to realise that they need him more than he needs them.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Will Rowland's departure a done deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
If he wants to continue playing for Wales, and why we he not want to, then he needs to go to Wales to be available particularly with Ball gone and AWJ sooner rather than later.
The rules haven't been changed for higher profile players than him e.g. Rhys Webb,  the only exception has been Tomos Francis but that was more Chiefs contract sleight of hand than WRU.
With the new Pro16 to come including the South African teams that is going to be attractive with the Dragons or possibly even the Scarlets now as Pivac tried to get him there when he was there.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 03:27:12 PM »
If he wants to continue playing for Wales, and why we he not want to, then he needs to go to Wales to be available particularly with Ball gone and AWJ sooner rather than later.
The rules haven't been changed for higher profile players than him e.g. Rhys Webb,  the only exception has been Tomos Francis but that was more Chiefs contract sleight of hand than WRU.
With the new Pro16 to come including the South African teams that is going to be attractive with the Dragons or possibly even the Scarlets now as Pivac tried to get him there when he was there.
Fair point regarding the high profile players who have lost out on more caps to play elsewhere but all of those cases were while Wales were winning Grand Slams for fun, they struggled to put Georgia away in the Autumn. Surely that gives the best players a little more "bargaining power"???

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
I think it’s more than just rumours at this point. Rowlands stated it a couple of weeks ago:

“Steps are moving forward so it looks like I'll probably be playing in Wales from next summer," said Rowlands.

"(Dragons) is definitely an option I'm interested in exploring.”

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/rowlands-wales-rugby-union-wasps-19394728.amp

Although you can’t begrudge someone who wants to play for his country, but the fact he’ll be 30 by the time he moves to a Welsh club, you have to wonder is it really worth it. He has almost 100 caps with Wasps (who are silverware contenders now), so I wonder whether the allure of a few more international caps whilst playing for a team like Dragons (with all due respect) is the best professional (and possibly financial) decision. Our very own YY was in a similar, albeit different, position earlier this year and made the right decision (in my selfish opinion) to stay with the club and playing a pivotal role as Captain and senior player.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
YY was different in that he had no regional offers so effectively had the choice to end his international aspirations made for him.

Only bargaining power it might give Will is to trade up to Scarlets rather than Dragons.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 03:56:10 PM »
It's all but confirmed. Dragons was the original intended destination, but with Jake Ball leaving that's big opportunity at Scarlets. Even BB talks as if Rowlands was off, and Rowlands basically said he's leaving at the end of the season to play for Wales.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 04:03:08 PM »
I’m guessing it would be on some sort of central funded deal , so assuming WRU have got money to match his present wages .

In present financial climate , surely it would be in WRU interest to let outside body pay his wages, draft him in as needed and not have risk of paying his wages if injured?