Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Premiership Two Week Break  (Read 4349 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Premiership Two Week Break
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »
I wonder what the chances are that all sport will be cancelled by then. Government doesn't seem impressed by the footy players behaviour.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:25:49 PM »
Interesting comment by Blackett in the Rugby Pass piece about Paolo that he expects the Premiership to switch matches to the next two weekends. They must have been discussing that possibility.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 08:43:29 PM »
Probably a sensible call in that the players - Chiefs and Wasps - in particulars got very little time off after the Final. Good opportunity for the minor injuries to get sorted and come back firing on all cylinders with additional players returning from injury.

Next up are the Hairy ones at the Ricoh on Jan 31. Eng squad players meet up on 24th, so a few of our guys could be with Eddie for several days. Looking at the next block of 6 games, I would fancy us in all of them. The 4 game block after will be pivotal in determining league position.

From the Beeb :

Chief executive Darren Childs said: "The welfare of everyone involved in Premiership Rugby is crucial to us and this break in the season gives us the chance to hand some much-needed rest to our hard-working players, management, staff and match officials."
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:41:42 PM by Heathen »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 09:28:06 PM »
Probably the right call but two blank weeks could strip us of our momentum. Personally I'd have shifted rounds 7 and 8 in.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 09:58:00 PM »
I wonder which teams have not yet rested internationals or given players the seven day rest. Feels like Lee looses the advantage from his gamble.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 11:06:43 PM »
Chief executive Darren Childs meant: "The welfare of everyone involved in Premiership Rugby is crucial to us but this break in the season is because we can't organise anything at short notice despite the preference of the clubs."

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:45:44 AM »
Chief executive Darren Childs meant: "The welfare of everyone involved in Premiership Rugby is crucial to us but this break in the season is because we can't organise anything at short notice despite the preference of the clubs."

I don't really understand that.

All the teams are getting ready for matches this weekend already so preparations are already underway and whilst the squads being planned may change they have a few days to sort it out. The teams were already in agreement from what is being said.

If we look at facilities, of the 6 prem matches in round 7, 2 of the teams were at home for their 3rd round Euro matches anyway (Bristol & Tigers) so only requires 4 stadiums to be made ready (Glaws, Irish, Wasps & Worcester), they all have home matches planned for round 4 in the Euros.
I guess the only one that has a potential issue with changing from an away to a home match is Irish as they stadium share.

Round 4 vs Round 8 is similar with 2 teams being at home for both (Wasps & Irish), in this case the Irish issue is solved, but moves the issue to Bristol who would need to change from away to home).
However, in the 18/19 season the Bristol/Wasps game at Ashton gate changed date from a Sun to a Fri at very late notice, (I seem to remember it being less than a week which made it a pain in the arse for me to get too) so this surely isn't insurmountable.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 08:25:27 AM »
I wonder if it is PRL stuffing the French. By not moving we do not free up two weekends for replacement Euro matches. Both Top24 and Pro 14 are moving fixtures.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 08:37:35 AM »
Putting my ultra cynical (aka tin foil) hat on ....

Why would PRL clubs risk having games cancelled now due to Covid when there’s clear evidence cases are falling? It’s a bit of a lottery and they might end up having to pull out of a game they’re expect 5 points from.

Plus, why would clubs want to play already cancelled games, they have guaranteed points: those with 4 points would be gambling on getting 1 extra point and those with 2 pints risk losing them both, to gain 2 points, 3 at most. The incentives are all wrong. 

*removes tin foil hat*

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 08:49:25 AM »

Why would PRL clubs risk having games cancelled now due to Covid when there’s clear evidence cases are falling? It’s a bit of a lottery and they might end up having to pull out of a game they’re expect 5 points from.

Plus, why would clubs want to play already cancelled games, they have guaranteed points: those with 4 points would be gambling on getting 1 extra point and those with 2 pints risk losing them both, to gain 2 points, 3 at most. The incentives are all wrong. 

*removes tin foil hat*

You could be right.  2 weeks is a long time in the context of where we're at in the pandemic right now.  Cases are showing signs of beginning to decline as the inevitable post Christmas/New Year spike begins to level off and lockdown measures start to bear fruit.  In another 2 weeks the picture could be a lot better and therefore the risk of further cancellations greatly reduced.  Why not have a 2 week break now with the added benefit of allowing players a much needed rest?  Makes some sense.

Personally I would have favoured playing the cancelled games over these 2 weeks to restore some credibility to the Premiership, but as you point out, those clubs that have points in the bag for those are probably, in the main, going to feel that gambling 2 or 4 points for a possible return of an additional 1-3 points is not worth it.

This does create a headache for EPRC though as English clubs now will not have a window to accommodate the remaining pool games.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 09:00:42 AM »
It is what it is. I'm incredibly grateful to everybody involved in premiership rugby for all the hard work in such difficult circumstances - taking pay cuts, managing terrible losses, coping with all the uncertainty, the new protocols, the testing regime the loss of the social side of rugby. It's a bludy supreme effort but having rugby to watch and look forward to means so much to me and my boys at the moment and I think to lots of other people too. I really wish one of many ideas to keep some rugby on this weekend could have been successful, I'll miss it dreadfully, but I'm sure everyone involved did their best. We can get through these next 2 weeks, I'm glad the players get a break and it will better than ever when rugby returns with hopefully premiership rugby and maybe 6 nations to look forward.

Adios until then, stay safe all.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »
It is what it is. I'm incredibly grateful to everybody involved in premiership rugby for all the hard work in such difficult circumstances - taking pay cuts, managing terrible losses, coping with all the uncertainty, the new protocols, the testing regime the loss of the social side of rugby. It's a bludy supreme effort but having rugby to watch and look forward to means so much to me and my boys at the moment and I think to lots of other people too. I really wish one of many ideas to keep some rugby on this weekend could have been successful, I'll miss it dreadfully, but I'm sure everyone involved did their best. We can get through these next 2 weeks, I'm glad the players get a break and it will better than ever when rugby returns with hopefully premiership rugby and maybe 6 nations to look forward.

Agree totally. I think we sometimes forget how difficult organising anything at the present time actually is. Well done everyone involved for getting this far.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:12 AM »

*removes tin foil hat*

You could be right.  2 weeks is a long time in the context of where we're at in the pandemic right now.  Cases are showing signs of beginning to decline as the inevitable post Christmas/New Year spike begins to level off and lockdown measures start to bear fruit.  In another 2 weeks the picture could be a lot better and therefore the risk of further cancellations greatly reduced.  Why not have a 2 week break now with the added benefit of allowing players a much needed rest?  Makes some sense.

Personally I would have favoured playing the cancelled games over these 2 weeks to restore some credibility to the Premiership, but as you point out, those clubs that have points in the bag for those are probably, in the main, going to feel that gambling 2 or 4 points for a possible return of an additional 1-3 points is not worth it.

This does create a headache for EPRC though as English clubs now will not have a window to accommodate the remaining pool games.

I bet glaws would be in favour of rearranging cancelled games ,along with probably ourselves

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »

*removes tin foil hat*

I bet glaws would be in favour of rearranging cancelled games ,along with probably ourselves

Apparently Exeter, Bristol and Wasps asked for a re-arrangement but three unnamed clubs refused. I really can't see the sense as clubs were prepping for the weekend anyway.