Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Underhill out Willis in  (Read 2172 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Underhill out Willis in
« on: January 26, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
Hip injury.

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Underhill out Willis in
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 01:22:10 PM »
So Tom Willis comes in at #8, Shields at 6 and Young in the 7 shirt v Quins. Morris on the bench. The next six matches have just got a tad more challenging.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 01:48:47 PM »
That's certainly the way I'd go. Still a great back row but we could certainly do without injuries. Not sure when Vailanu is due back? We're starting to look a bit thin.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »
That's certainly the way I'd go. Still a great back row but we could certainly do without injuries. Not sure when Vailanu is due back? We're starting to look a bit thin.

Unless he's had a set-back, I believe he is fit now. We just haven't needed him yet with Alfie in such good form, Jammer playing 6, and then Brad and Tom coming fit. We'll need him now for sure.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 02:19:20 PM »
Shields in the 2nd row would've been an option with both Rowlands and Launch out , but Willis getting called up makes that less likely.

Is Rowlands available for the Quins game?  England players not released due to EPS agreement, but that doesn't apply to other countries.  Or are they all allowed players for longer ahead of international matches to ensure COVID bubble is established for long enough leading up to the game?

Temeura

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 02:20:35 PM »
Did he attempt to tackle Odogwu again?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 02:23:01 PM »
Did he attempt to tackle Odogwu again?
Must have got closer this time......

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »
Shields in the 2nd row would've been an option with both Rowlands and Launch out , but Willis getting called up makes that less likely.

Is Rowlands available for the Quins game?  England players not released due to EPS agreement, but that doesn't apply to other countries.  Or are they all allowed players for longer ahead of international matches to ensure COVID bubble is established for long enough leading up to the game?

Apparently Welsh squad meeting up on Monday, so in theory Rowlands is available .

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 04:01:03 PM »
English Welsh players to go back to clubs

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwis9oO_67nuAhXyweYKHWkjD8gQlO8DMAV6BAgEEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walesonline.co.uk%2Fsport%2Frugby%2Frugby-news%2Fenglish-clubs-force-wales-players-19702065&usg=AOvVaw3wena0f6pIAuQCN03KB9k6

As much as loosing Rowlands is big, I kind of wish there had been a more supportive stance from Prem clubs given the circumstances. This will just reinforce the play in Wales rule. I wonder if clubs will be penalised if they let a player stay in Wales, I seem to remember that happening (Bath?) for the extra game Wales have had outside of the international window.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
I would suggest its not the clubs themselves, its PRL. Northampton got fined for allowing George North to play a Wales game outside of the agreed window.

Given the situation, and the fact its not Wales fault, it may have been nice to have allowed a bit more flexibility.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 09:38:29 PM »
Although as a club we now have the depth and confidence to win tough fixtures, the loss of Launchbury, Willis, Robson, West, Odogwu, Rowlands and possibly Umaga and Atkinson is quite the long list!

The return of Shields, Fekitoa, Kibirige, Miller, Mills and availablity of Minozzi & Vailanu couldn’t come soon enough but we are getting light with our second row options.

Barring further call ups or injuries, we are still in a good position for the next 6 fixtures (Quins, Saints, Worcester, Leicester, Irish & Gloucester) but come mid-March we are in for one hell of a ride with back to back games against Bristol, Newcastle, Sale & Exeter.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
Well, except some of the players were are missing could be the point of difference in fixtures we would normally win, which means come the big names, which will be much tougher anyway, then we will be up against it. And if the players need rest periods, we will be pushing a thin squad pretty hard without opportunity for a break.

Have we definitely lost Rowlands this week?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 09:33:34 AM »
Although as a club we now have the depth and confidence to win tough fixtures, the loss of Launchbury, Willis, Robson, West, Odogwu, Rowlands and possibly Umaga and Atkinson is quite the long list!

The return of Shields, Fekitoa, Kibirige, Miller, Mills and availablity of Minozzi & Vailanu couldn’t come soon enough but we are getting light with our second row options.

Barring further call ups or injuries, we are still in a good position for the next 6 fixtures (Quins, Saints, Worcester, Leicester, Irish & Gloucester) but come mid-March we are in for one hell of a ride with back to back games against Bristol, Newcastle, Sale & Exeter.

I really hope you are right and Wasps can use the team spirit of last season's end games but I am fearfull that we have losses too far. Any slight injhuries and we are back up against the wall.

Sunday we will see. If Bobby is correct then the team selection has already been disrupted twice this week - first with West being called up and then Willis. Up against a Quins team with few international calls and re-juvinated with the removal of a hated coach and a batch of re-signings following that.
Let me tell you something cucumber