Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dobby on head injuries and contact in training  (Read 1582 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dobby on head injuries and contact in training
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 08:29:39 PM »
Initially I skim-read the thread title and all I saw was “Dobby” & “head injury” and my heart sank.

Our ever growing injury list is playing havoc with my mind. Thank God for small mercies 😂

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:53:23 PM »
Initially I skim-read the thread title and all I saw was “Dobby” & “head injury” and my heart sank.

Our ever growing injury list is playing havoc with my mind. Thank God for small mercies 😂

I know what you mean . Got Drawn into reading an article on Cips signing for Melbourne Rebels earlier until I realised at the beginning of the heading was OTD.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:32:03 PM »

I know what you mean . Got Drawn into reading an article on Cips signing for Melbourne Rebels earlier until I realised at the beginning of the heading was OTD.

I did the exact same thing with that Cips RP article this morning. Thought it was déjà vu ... completely overlooked the “OTD” at the start of the title!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 10:30:57 PM »

I did the exact same thing with that Cips RP article this morning. Thought it was déjà vu ... completely overlooked the “OTD” at the start of the title!

Especially when cips came back to us and TT going back to Sale

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 10:37:22 PM »
Just found another musing from Dan. Must have been his turn to field the press

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/dan-robson-believes-long-wait-for-first-england-start-has-improved-his-game-40111671.html

At least they make more sense than EJ soundbites

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 11:32:47 AM »
What did we make of the Red cards last night in the Bath v Glaws game?

Thought the Glaws Red was harsh.  He clearly lifted and led with his arm.  But, had he not of it would have been a head on head contact, led by the Bath tackler deliberately choosing to remain high. 

We saw exactly this happen in the second half, when Mike Williams led with his shoulder into the nose of the Glaws full-back.  Fortunately, the FB was able to carry on.  But it could have easily been a scenario where he couldn’t and it goes to show that if you don’t defend yourself, it’s easily to get injured from an illegal tackle - and why should that illegality penalise both teams (red card for one team and a player taken out of the game for another).

The Glaws fend was high, because the tackler was high.  It wasn’t as though the Glaws prop bent low and led with his arm (which we’ve seen plenty of times before in games) to bump off an impending defender who is ready to tackle at chest or waist height.

For me, Barnes got it wrong yesterday looked at it too literally.  There was mitigation (a Bath player opting to deliberately try and tackle high with a very high chance of a head on head clash).  I wonder why it was never considered.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
What did we make of the Red cards last night in the Bath v Glaws game?

Thought the Glaws Red was harsh.  He clearly lifted and led with his arm.  But, had he not of it would have been a head on head contact, led by the Bath tackler deliberately choosing to remain high. 

We saw exactly this happen in the second half, when Mike Williams led with his shoulder into the nose of the Glaws full-back.  Fortunately, the FB was able to carry on.  But it could have easily been a scenario where he couldn’t and it goes to show that if you don’t defend yourself, it’s easily to get injured from an illegal tackle - and why should that illegality penalise both teams (red card for one team and a player taken out of the game for another).

The Glaws fend was high, because the tackler was high.  It wasn’t as though the Glaws prop bent low and led with his arm (which we’ve seen plenty of times before in games) to bump off an impending defender who is ready to tackle at chest or waist height.

For me, Barnes got it wrong yesterday looked at it too literally.  There was mitigation (a Bath player opting to deliberately try and tackle high with a very high chance of a head on head clash).  I wonder why it was never considered.

No mitigation for either of them, both reds under current and possibly previous protocols.

Only influence the other Bath tackler could have had was earning himself a card as well!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
Both fair red cards. I thought Bath were lucky to only have the one player red carded as their 22 hit the Gloucester player in the head with his shoulder as well.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM »
Both cards seemed fair to me and were explained very well by Wayne Barnes.

I thought Glaws were unlucky at the end. After Joseph deliberately knocked on they regathered the ball, kept playing and ended up scoring in the corner, leaving a difficult kick that was missed.

If play had broken down and they'd stopped for the Joseph penalty, and he got carded then, they may well have had a penalty try, but nobody looked at that. The extra 2 points for the draw would have been well deserved. Not least because the win flattered Bath.

Could Wayne Barnes have gone back after Glaws scored and still awarded a penalty try?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
I can understand the glaws red looking harsh ,as tackler kept straight up ,but leading with shoulder / arm meant it had to be red.
 There seemed to be a lot of these upright type tackles last night. Perhaps they need to look at reducing these rugby league type tackles.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »
Both cards seemed fair to me and were explained very well by Wayne Barnes.

I thought Glaws were unlucky at the end. After Joseph deliberately knocked on they regathered the ball, kept playing and ended up scoring in the corner, leaving a difficult kick that was missed.

If play had broken down and they'd stopped for the Joseph penalty, and he got carded then, they may well have had a penalty try, but nobody looked at that. The extra 2 points for the draw would have been well deserved. Not least because the win flattered Bath.

Could Wayne Barnes have gone back after Glaws scored and still awarded a penalty try?

I’m not sure he would have awarded a penalty try , as from memory I think there were two other Bath players close too or behind JJ . But depending on when glaws heard it was a definite penalty, maybe they should have played smart . Might say this is cynical but no more than scrum penalties or scrum half throwing ball at out of position player to gain a penalty

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »
Is there a law that prevents an attacking team in that scenario from essentially choosing to halt play and take a penalty from where the incident occurs.  So Barnes calls Advantage deliberate knock-on and Gloucester carried on, ending up taking a tricky conversion as mentioned.

Why don’t they just drop the ball and take the penalty from the spot.  Most likely without JJ knowing it was deliberate and play 14 vs 13 for the final 5 mins.

This was discussed on one of the podcasts and they suggested it wasn’t really in the spirit of rugby.  But it’s professional sport, so why should an advantage become a disadvantage?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 01:08:40 PM »
Is there a law that prevents an attacking team in that scenario from essentially choosing to halt play and take a penalty from where the incident occurs.  So Barnes calls Advantage deliberate knock-on and Gloucester carried on, ending up taking a tricky conversion as mentioned.

Why don’t they just drop the ball and take the penalty from the spot.  Most likely without JJ knowing it was deliberate and play 14 vs 13 for the final 5 mins.

This was discussed on one of the podcasts and they suggested it wasn’t really in the spirit of rugby.  But it’s professional sport, so why should an advantage become a disadvantage?

The attacking team can ask the ref to end the advantage and take the penalty, used to be done often by 9s who would then immediately take the tap giving themselves  10m where no one could touch them with players often out the game in the floor, this has seemed to be stopped recently.