Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 2307 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:14:47 AM »
Not a new rumour - Stu Townsend scrum half from Exeter but irish interested so expect him to choose London!

Fiver favours Japanese money.

Apparently Wasps played yesterday.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 08:20:23 AM »

Is that a Fissler rumour?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 08:25:43 AM »
Even if we miss out on Townsend, at least the club realise that relying on just Porter and Wolstenholme as back up to Dobby is a bad idea.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 08:47:31 AM »
Even if we miss out on Townsend, at least the club realise that relying on just Porter and Wolstenholme as back up to Dobby is a bad idea.

Thought the 9 for Portugal yesterday looked good. Think commentators said coming towards end of career but seemed impressive enough and had a fairly good long range kick too

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 09:08:14 AM »

Thought the 9 for Portugal yesterday looked good. Think commentators said coming towards end of career but seemed impressive enough and had a fairly good long range kick too

Samuel Marques. 32 years old but formerly with Bruce, Toulouse and currently with Pau. He's one of Portugal's French born players with Portuguese parents or grandparents. Not sure how good his English is.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 09:22:01 AM »

This. I mean Townsend is a pretty underwhelming rumour anyway. Arguably doesn't solve the massive step down after Robson.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 10:19:32 AM »
Not a new rumour - Stu Townsend scrum half from Exeter but irish interested so expect him to choose London!

I thought he was going to Japan previously but the drink driving thing stopped him being able to get a visa.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 10:29:46 AM »

I thought he was going to Japan previously but the drink driving thing stopped him being able to get a visa.

Yes my recollection too. Can't see how that can have changed.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »

Porter's box kicking yesterday was abysmal. He might just as well have passed it to them. We really needed someone to organise the defence as obstruction players every time Heinze was going for that box kick, so whoever (Miller) caught it didn't get smashed. The team simply left him out to dry. Plus, when a hospital pass is coming your way and you are going to get smashed, as miller was in the Fekitoa incident, you don't have to catch the ball. The tackler was committed way before the ball got to Miller, so he should have let it fly by and make the tackle become illegal (tackling a player off the ball). Rugby brain.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 11:26:31 AM »
Townsend is a little underwhelming and isn’t really much ahead of Porter and Wolstenholme and Exeter has largely been 3rd or 4th choice.
Will have high expectations and a winning mentality however.
Maybe a more experienced head like a Will Chudley would have worked but arguably will then get in the way of the other two’s progression.
Should have just kept Joe Simpson

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »
Townsend is a little underwhelming and isn’t really much ahead of Porter and Wolstenholme and Exeter has largely been 3rd or 4th choice.
Will have high expectations and a winning mentality however.
Maybe a more experienced head like a Will Chudley would have worked but arguably will then get in the way of the other two’s progression.
Should have just kept Joe Simpson

It's a really tricky situation. You know these young players aren't yet good enough. But if we bring in an experienced savvy player then they may get less game time. But if Robson is with England more, it might well be worth it for more wins but also giving someone for Porter and Wolstenholme to learn from.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 01:31:46 PM »
Wolstenholme I get - he can be developed. I like Porters aggression but he's not really a developing youngster. Also, I'm not sure it can be coached but he's very predictable. Lateral pass or box kick. Nothing around the fringes or dinks over the top. That variation keeps teams guessing. If you are predictable even if you are doing things well teams can set up against you.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 02:55:37 PM »

Just cos someone is still young, it doesn't mean they'll become a star just by playing.

Sometimes the aspiration to play can drive someone to improve more than actually having the game time handed to them.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »

Just cos someone is still young, it doesn't mean they'll become a star just by playing.

Sometimes the aspiration to play can drive someone to improve more than actually having the game time handed to them.

Pretty much.

Would Jack Willis have become the player he is had he not been given support from George Smith?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 03:45:50 PM »
Probably....he has a rare ability.