Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England Team up - No Paolo  (Read 3295 times)

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England Team up - No Paolo
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »
Jones will probably claim he can't pick Paolo because he's not match fit 😒

Can someone explain what was the point of a reduced squad of 28 in a bubble? It appears that he can still bring in others at will and ignore his own squad selections! Is this the 3rd player he's done this to over the last 6 weeks?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:01:02 PM by Marlow Nick »

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 02:04:45 PM »
It could be an unfortunate injury that deprives him of a chance - this happened to Wade when he picked up a hamstring injury bending to pick up a ball or something in the England camp.

But if he's fit it is pretty pointless and demoralising for Paolo.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 02:09:04 PM »
It could be an unfortunate injury that deprives him of a chance - this happened to Wade when he picked up a hamstring injury bending to pick up a ball or something in the England camp.

But if he's fit it is pretty pointless and demoralising for Paolo.

Surely if he was injured he would be sent back to his club for medical attention and recuperation.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »
Not just us then

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/id-be-absolutely-fuming-england-fans-irate-at-lastest-selection-snub-for-paolo-odogwu/

( unless these comments are from our alternative identities!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 04:29:15 PM »
whilst I would have loved Paolo to have played I think most people agreed he wasn't really ready for International rugby.

I would also expect that EJ has explained his thinking to him so any mental impact on the player must be minimal.

I dunno.

I can't think of anything a coach could say that would mollify a top class sportsman who's been kept hanging around for the best part of 3 months. They got to where they are because they love playing the game and there's nothing worse than being on the side lines.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I would have rather been playing 2nd Xl cricket, or even 3rd Xl, rather than kept hanging hoping for a 1st Xl game.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 07:59:50 PM »
Well we can’t say we didn’t see this coming.

What I find more unbelievable is that despite Daly being unconvincing at 15 for years he’s now played at 13 where he should have played more for England over the years but now hasn’t played there for years and it could go wrong.
Worcester won’t be happy with Lawrence’s treatment either, he deserved a chance there but Marchant coming straight in must be confusing for Paolo.
I would have expected a 6-2 split instead.

Not sure the prospect of playing for Italy is a great one moving forward but I’d be tempted if I was Paolo. It’ll be tough but playing outside Varney and Garbisi definitely has potential

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 10:08:36 PM »
I really hope Paolo has the chance to play for Italy. I'll cheer him on every second he plays if he does.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »
I really hope Paolo has the chance to play for Italy. I'll cheer him on every second he plays if he does.

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 08:39:30 AM »
Would Paolo be welcomed by Italian players now ? Would a Switch at this this moment in time , considering there had been an approach by them ( not sure if they actually spoke to him or just Blackett) had been rejected, be wise . Might cause resentment that he sees them possibly as second best.

Think it would have to be them to approach again, but maybe after seeing if selected in Autumn .

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
Would Paolo be welcomed by Italian players now ? Would a Switch at this this moment in time , considering there had been an approach by them ( not sure if they actually spoke to him or just Blackett) had been rejected, be wise . Might cause resentment that he sees them possibly as second best.

Think it would have to be them to approach again, but maybe after seeing if selected in Autumn .

Mental Eddie did much the same thing to Cam Redpath. Doesn't seem any resentment there.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 12:49:36 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh -  deep sigh -        Mr. Cool   .......................

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 03:35:09 PM »
Might cause resentment that he sees them possibly as second best.

It would be a pretty short sighted Italian who thought like that.  Paolo would not be alone in seeing Italy as 2nd best to England, not only in terms of the standard of rugby, but also in terms of the financial rewards.  I'm sure they are under no illusions when they look at the league of nations in the Italian dressing room that many are only turning out for Italy due to a lack of opportunity with their native country.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 03:49:59 PM »
Malins a late withdrawal. Daly to full back. Lawrence to 13 and joining the 23 on the bench...........George Martin. Laughable.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 03:57:23 PM »
Is it pantomime season or just an Aldwych  farce?