Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New Signing - Dan Frost  (Read 7134 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New Signing - Dan Frost
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 08:24:03 PM »
I don't think Oghre is potential or risk anymore. He's got to improve his throwing granted. Let's be honest though we've played a season without Taylor and managed OK.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2021, 10:11:04 AM »
Many years ago Wasps won trophies with a hooker who couldn't throw straight. Its important but its not the only thing a hooker needs to do.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2021, 10:39:42 AM »
Love this quote from the BB article:
Lee Blackett has already recruited three players from second-tier clubs in the form of Elliot Millar-Mills from Ealing Trailfinders, Robin 'Bomber' Hislop from Doncaster Knights and Ali Crossdale from Saracens.

Thats brilliant :D

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »
I don't think Oghre is potential or risk anymore. He's got to improve his throwing granted. Let's be honest though we've played a season without Taylor and managed OK.

Actually thought Gabby was excellent on Saturday, really effective around the park and on the whole the throwing seemed better.

Like the Frost signing, our recruitment seems to be more concerned about the player type rather than the player name or reputation which I think will only be a good thing.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »

Actually thought Gabby was excellent on Saturday, really effective around the park and on the whole the throwing seemed better.

Like the Frost signing, our recruitment seems to be more concerned about the player type rather than the player name or reputation which I think will only be a good thing.

I agree. Jacob was (mostly) nailing his 'go for it' kicks, so Gaby had a number of testing throws. Can't remember for certain, but he either nailed them all or most of them. Despite the post monsoon sunshine, the ball must still have been as slippery as hell.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2021, 01:42:59 PM »
If memory serves one line out went very wrong, with what looked like an early lift. Don't think you could blame the hooker for that one.
Other than that the Line out was solid & effective.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
If memory serves one line out went very wrong, with what looked like an early lift. Don't think you could blame the hooker for that one.
Other than that the Line out was solid & effective.

Yes, I remember that one now. Right cock up.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »
That's interesting IRO of what we might be expecting for Alfie.

Given his excellence as a "hybrid" style of player - happy in the backrow - great ball in hand, are were moving away from having him in the team as a hooker? He's not played a Prem game at 2 as yet - there must have been opportunities.

That said, if and when we have both Willis's. Shields, Youngs, Morris etc to pick from, does he get picked in the back row? We still list him as "hooker" on the squad list.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 03:36:27 PM »
My perception of the bits you pick up from comments etc is that he's seen as a hooker. Although we've signed Frost Blackett's stated aim is to sign another back rower who can possibly do second row as well. That would give us Shields, Willis x2, Young, Morris, AN Other and we also have Curran in the mix.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »
I still think Alfie should focus on the backrow, personally.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
I still think Alfie should focus on the backrow, personally.

Or centre.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »

Given his excellence as a "hybrid" style of player - happy in the backrow - great ball in hand, are were moving away from having him in the team as a hooker? He's not played a Prem game at 2 as yet - there must have been opportunities.

That said, if and when we have both Willis's. Shields, Youngs, Morris etc to pick from, does he get picked in the back row? We still list him as "hooker" on the squad list.

He sees himself as a Centre!! (Lee doesn't)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »

:-) That would be fun!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »

Alfie played a lot of his school rugby as a centre. I know someone who watched him then. It was Alfie + 14 others against a very useful side. Alfie single handedly won the game. Just ran through them time after time.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2021, 12:16:26 PM »

Alfie played a lot of his school rugby as a centre. I know someone who watched him then. It was Alfie + 14 others against a very useful side. Alfie single handedly won the game. Just ran through them time after time.

Was it Genge or Sinckler who did the same?