Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Biyi Alo  (Read 1891 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Biyi Alo
« on: May 30, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »

The last 2 games are quite a small sample size, but I've been impressed with Alo's scrummaging.
He also appears to want to be a wrecking ball of a carrier too.

If he can improve his match fitness, and stay fit, he may be a ready made replacement for Brookes.

With regards to whether your best scrummager should start or be on the bench, I've been wondering if there's any stats regarding whether there's more scrums in the first or 2nd half of a game.
If the 2nd half has the most scrums due to players tiring or forcing passes a bit more and any disjointedness that comes from bringing the replacements on, then it can make a lot of sense to have the better scrummager on the bench at the start of the game

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Biyi Alo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »
Alo continues to improve. We'll probably have Scholtz incoming as well who can definitely scrummage. Millar-Mills is there as well. On balance none of them are probably on a par with Brookes at scrum time but they'll not have to do too much to trump him in terms of availability.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 10:54:45 AM »
I'd always start the best scrummager regardless of numbers. Get it set in the ref's mind that we have the dominance and then later hopefully the 50/50 calls will go out way.*

*yeah right
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »
Agreed. JTA is far more effective later in the game. I see us starting with Scholtz. Also, worth mentioning that on the LH I think West is developing into one of the best in the league. He's definitely first choice now and looking like the real deal.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
Agreed. JTA is far more effective later in the game. I see us starting with Scholtz. Also, worth mentioning that on the LH I think West is developing into one of the best in the league. He's definitely first choice now and looking like the real deal.

Eddie will probably say that is down to him having him in the England camp.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »

I'd play JTA later - he had a difficult one yesterday - but has looked increasingly effective at TH in recent games. Sometimes in the front row - you just have one of those games. Particular player opposite, issue with the hooker or whatever. I was surprised yesterday. But as an old prop - I probably ought not to have been! Sometimes - you just don't "fit"

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 03:38:42 PM »
Biyi Alo is a formidable unit but hasn’t yet shown the engine that would make him first choice. But he’s a very capable second choice THP.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »

I'd play JTA later - he had a difficult one yesterday - but has looked increasingly effective at TH in recent games. Sometimes in the front row - you just have one of those games. Particular player opposite, issue with the hooker or whatever. I was surprised yesterday. But as an old prop - I probably ought not to have been! Sometimes - you just don't "fit"

Or a particular ref who thinks he knows a lot more about front row play than he actually does >:(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 05:48:12 PM »

Or a particular ref who thinks he knows a lot more about front row play than he actually does >:(

Certainly its a mystery to many.......even when I used to play - you just tried to sort it out yourselves. But I felt the ref yesterday was confused.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 05:57:25 PM »

Certainly its a mystery to many.......even when I used to play - you just tried to sort it out yourselves. But I felt the ref yesterday was confused.....

I don't know when you used to play, mike but when I played front row (hooker and TH), you used to just get on with it, because you could do just about anything you wanted  ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »

I don't know when you used to play, mike but when I played front row (hooker and TH), you used to just get on with it, because you could do just about anything you wanted  ;)

Ross - agreed. I played both TH and LH and had the occasional game at hooker.

LH - lift the oppo TH so that your hokker had a clear viw of the put in.

TH - get the LH eating dirt.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 07:32:29 PM »

Ross - agreed. I played both TH and LH and had the occasional game at hooker.

LH - lift the oppo TH so that your hokker had a clear viw of the put in.

TH - get the LH eating dirt.

I wasn't tall enough to manage LH successfully but TH..............loved it. Push/pull the LH down and bore right in on the hooker. Make his ribs creak ;D Oh happy days.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »

I was a taller LH - university and the like early to late 80's and then local clubs

I knew how to apply my skills (cheat) in any number of ways...... :-)........