Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who do you think is leaving/staying?  (Read 4211 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Who do you think is leaving/staying?
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:21:32 AM »
As usual at this time of year there are a lot of rumours flying around about players leaving/staying.  We now know Launch is staying with us, but there are a few others who have yet to make any form of statement.  So here's my preditions.

I think we will lose Thompson, Basset and Cips as well as those already confirmed.

I think Wade and Hasks will stay, but out of those two Hasks I am less sure about.  I also think Gopps will drop to a player/coach role rather than a full time player.

I think we will announce a new 10 coming at some stage over the next few weeks, I think Carr will be announced as coming back as soon as possible, if not that we've negotiated to keep him.  I also think we will probably sign a prop to replace Moore, but who I have no idea.

How about you?  What do you think?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think is leaving/staying?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
Thompson, Moore and Bassett.

Holding out hope for Cips.

Wonder if Furlong would replace Moore? Rumoured to be on the move...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »
I'd take Tadhg Furlong in a heartbeat. And he's only 25.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
Furlong would be awesome.  Nice for Dai to have another Lions TH around too. :)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:50:26 PM »
Couple the rumours about Cips with those that Goode has mentioned on his Podcast, and I think Cips will be off. I think Dai has known for some time, as he will already about Thompson and Bassett (I think they too will be off).

I think he has a 10 lined up, and has for a long time. But that 10 was not available in the Autumn internationals, so he was probably in one of those squads. Despite what others have said, I think he is coming from the SH, and not France.

So, you are looking for a player with International caps, probably played in the recent Internationals, who does not have a contract in Japan or Super Rugby for 2018. I looked real hard, and I think Handre Pollard ticks all those boxes. Then you have to look for clues.

The last press reports about him having a contract are years ago, and that contract expired at the end of the Autumn Internationals (for the Boks and Bulls). Bulls have said they were trying to re-sign him, some while ago, but no further comment. He was recently, for no apparent reason dropped from the Bulls' team. He played against Wales (very well), but was replaced in the game and has not played since.

There are rumours that he won't be picked again for the Boks unless he signs a contract in SA, but he is way too late to do that for 2018.

Some senior people in the game in SA have publicly advised him to get a contract in Europe.

Wasps cannot say anything because they don't want to appear to be signing him before Cips announces he is leaving, otherwise fans may think Cips has been forced out.

He is a very good 10, and has the potential to be a world beater. His kicking is on a par with Jimmy, which is essential, and his tackling is excellent. He also sometimes plays 15.

That's what I think. I know there have been mentions of Cooper, but, on further reflection, I don't see that. A bit of a loose cannon.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »
I see Dai has reacted to all the rumours floating around:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/dai-young-its-early-discuss-14001387

Saying it is too early. But, given that he HAS re-signed some players means that some form of conversations have happened. But, for Cips and Haskell, Dai implies that they are waiting to see if they get into the 6N England side, which they would know in about 4-5 weeks' time. In January other Prem clubs can officially talk to them, but we all know that agents talk to clubs all the time. As soon as that official window opens, we will get news on those who are leaving to other prem clubs. That's when I expect to see Thompson and Bassett say they are leaving.

I think Dai has his tongue firmly in cheek when he hints that Cips and Hask are waiting for that news. There is no way EJ will pick Cips, and it is unlikely Hask will get picked either. Eddie would want to see a long run of good form from Haskell, and it simply won't be there by then. I like Haskell a lot, but it is clear he has aspirations to play for a few more years yet as the first pick 6 for a team, and in Wasps he might only be #2, or maybe even #3 by next year. Cips I am not so sure about.

But, if Gopperth is hanging up his boots as far as playing 10 are concerned (but still playing 12), and suggestions that he might start to take a #2 role plus coaching next year, then Dai has to find a good #10 for next year anyway. And then Cips is thinking, who would be #1 and who #2? Cips will want to be #1 10 in the team he is in for a couple more years yet. But Dai might have to promise the #1 slot to an incomer.

Dai is a poker player with a very straight face, and also has an eye to the publicity and morale aspects. He won't say anything unless Wasps profit from it.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
Dai talks about those not considered no 1 choice considering other deals, for me that is one reason Guy might be off but contradicts the need for Bassett to leave..... until this weekend having played 8 out of 9 premiership matches plus Two european Games, Bassett is rested to allow the best performer from the AI's to play in a position he is obviously confident in.... following on from the fish and chip paper report that Northampton need a replacement for North. 2+2 = 5... Bassett is first choice left wing and has been for more than 18 months, so unless Saints are offering silly money, why would he leave. I want Cips to stay because without him we are just not flowing. Haskell is getting better and better and Dai would probably want to keep him if he can. Both of their England chances are slim to no chance under Eddie Jones so big money else where may lure them away.

I think Macken falls under the 2nd choice needs a fresh start, Armitage seems to be doing nothing so expect him off too.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Dai talks about those not considered no 1 choice considering other deals, for me that is one reason Guy might be off but contradicts the need for Bassett to leave..... until this weekend having played 8 out of 9 premiership matches plus Two european Games, Bassett is rested to allow the best performer from the AI's to play in a position he is obviously confident in.... following on from the fish and chip paper report that Northampton need a replacement for North. 2+2 = 5... Bassett is first choice left wing and has been for more than 18 months, so unless Saints are offering silly money, why would he leave. I want Cips to stay because without him we are just not flowing. Haskell is getting better and better and Dai would probably want to keep him if he can. Both of their England chances are slim to no chance under Eddie Jones so big money else where may lure them away.

I think Macken falls under the 2nd choice needs a fresh start, Armitage seems to be doing nothing so expect him off too.

Million, not, miles, truth, from, a, the.

I suspect.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15:45 PM »
daly played on wing to combat expected ford aerial bombardment and de jong at 13 performing well so why change him, daly wants to play 13 but more importantly wants to play anywhere.... so says Dai

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
I'm not convinced the aerial aspect had much to do with it. Dai said "For us it's just a matter of getting our best players on the field."

Which means Basset isn't first choice.

Which in the context of Dai also saying that 2nd choice players may be leaving to be 1st elsewhere suddenly feels ominous.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:31 PM »
I don't think cipriani is a done deal. There's supposedly a number of French clubs after him. That means he presumably hasn't signed for one yet.

The rumours are too strong around Bassett and Thompson, so I expect them to leave which is a shame, but understandable, particular for guy.

Macken's game time is now going to be even more limited.
He's currently behind Gopperth, Eastmond and Gaby at 12 and behind Daly and JdJ at 13.
He's a fantastic 3rd choice though

The worry is THP. unlike others, I don't have too much of a problem with PDJ being our 3rd choice, however I wouldn't be comfortable with him as a 2nd choice prop, so we definitely need someone.