Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps sign Pieter Scholtz  (Read 1885 times)

TheTameWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps sign Pieter Scholtz
« on: June 09, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
Wasps are delighted to announce the signing of Pieter Scholtz, who will join the Club at the end of the season from Guinness PRO14 side Scarlets.

The 27-year-old tighthead-prop joined Scarlets in 2020 from South African side Southern Kings.

Scholtz has also appeared for the Golden Lions and Pumas in the Vodacom Cup and Currie Cup in his native South Africa.

So far this season Scholtz has played 8 games for the Welsh region.

Wasps Men’s Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “We are very happy to sign Pieter for next season.

“He is an impressive scrummager, who has performed to a high level in the PRO14 for Scarlets this season. We believe that he will be a strong addition to our group of props at the club.

“We are all looking forward to working with Pieter and seeing him play in a Wasps shirt.” 

Scholtz added: “I am very excited to start this new journey with the club and put on the Wasps jersey.

“I have been talking to the coaches and I am really looking forward to working with them and the other players next season."

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps sign Pieter Scholtz
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 12:13:16 PM »
Good news. Really pleased 👌

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 12:22:37 PM »
Good news - not unexpected but welcome.

Young for a prop and not in international contention so big plus marks. Does anyone know of any injury history (you know - the old Wasp failing)?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 12:29:57 PM »
Does anyone know of any injury history

Not yet, but give him 6 months training & playing under the wasps injury curse he'll have an injury history all right!  :)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 12:32:31 PM »
I know it's going to be the good bits - but off YouTube, he certainly looks a beast.....just what's needed.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 01:19:09 PM »
Good news. Seems obvious they've gone for a scrummager to replace Brookes (could be this afternoon's news ??). I'm happy going in with Scholtz, JTA, Alo and Millar-Mills.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »
......  and Si Mac?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
......  and Si Mac?

Wrong side of scrum.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 02:54:16 PM »
Welcome Pieter.

Think that as good as confirms Brookes's exit.  Put the good news out there first to soften the blow!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 03:40:19 PM »
Very happy with this signing. He knows what needs to happen at the coalface and will add value to the younger members of our front row group.

I was talking to one of my neighbours this morning. He is well involved in youth rugby at Bucks county level and has a good knowledge of how Wasps function at academy level. He says that the first priority of our academy is to toughen the players up so that they are well prepared for the collisions that happen in the modern game. Those who have the necessary physical hardness and obviously the requisite skills sets, will get promoted to senior academy.

He also has a good overview of our new squad players and he reckons that Lee has recruited very wisely. He says there are some gems amongst them that the fans will be really happy with.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
Very happy with this signing. He knows what needs to happen at the coalface and will add value to the younger members of our front row group.

I was talking to one of my neighbours this morning. He is well involved in youth rugby at Bucks county level and has a good knowledge of how Wasps function at academy level. He says that the first priority of our academy is to toughen the players up so that they are well prepared for the collisions that happen in the modern game. Those who have the necessary physical hardness and obviously the requisite skills sets, will get promoted to senior academy.

He also has a good overview of our new squad players and he reckons that Lee has recruited very wisely. He says there are some gems amongst them that the fans will be really happy with.

Nice to know - thanks.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 06:41:57 PM »
Thanks HDAWG.  Always did get my 1s and 3s muddled up!  Lousy at Maths.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »
Thanks HDAWG.  Always did get my 1s and 3s muddled up!  Lousy at Maths.

Ah, an ex-forward then?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 08:13:42 PM »
    :D :D :D :D :D