Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Training Centre  (Read 4680 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Training Centre
« on: July 01, 2021, 04:22:01 PM »
This morning I had the privilege of being shown around the training centre.

It's a fair way off being finished,  but I can honestly say I was gobsmacked by the size, the scope, and the ambition of the place.

Firstly it's huge. I've seen a few Premiership training grounds, and this is going to be the biggest and best by some margin.

Secondly no expense has been spared. From the immense gym to the professional kitchens, from the cryo-suites to the sauna, from the academy house to the already beautiful looking pitches.

This is truly game changing, a real step up in terms of professionalism, and a genuine demonstration of how committed Derek and the rest of the board are to the long term future of the club.

The future is looking bright!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Training Centre
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 04:26:49 PM »
Sounds excellent. I think this will benefit us in lots of ways as well as being a good indicator of the health of the club.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »
Sounds good VV, have you ever seen any footage of Bristol’s training ground? That is very impressive indeed - will it compare to that?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 04:38:52 PM »
VV does it include the old house and the very large Education building? If so what use is being made of them.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 04:39:48 PM »
VV ...  I hope you have got your breath back!  It sounds wonderful - no less than the squad deserves.  Thank you SO very much, Derek and Dawn and family.  Very glad that you got to see it VV - what a treat!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 05:01:16 PM »
Can’t wait to see the finished product

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »
VV does it include the old house and the very large Education building? If so what use is being made of them.

I'm not sure which bit the education building is, but the big old timber framed house is going to be the Academy house I believe.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 05:13:19 PM »
Sounds good VV, have you ever seen any footage of Bristol’s training ground? That is very impressive indeed - will it compare to that?

I haven't seen Bristol's training centre in the flesh, but from what I can gather online and from speaking to people who know both, ours will be the biggest, most advanced, and most well equipped centre in the GP.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »

I'm not sure which bit the education building is, but the big old timber framed house is going to be the Academy house I believe.

Coming from Henley the first road to the right goes to the old house and beyond it is a fairly modern (late 1990s/2000) purpose built large Education Block (at least it was when I looked at it).
The second road on the right went to the Sports Centre which is what I assume they are adapting.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 05:35:27 PM »

I don't remember a timber framed house in the grounds? Not near the new leisure centre. The old house, which is listed I think, is a Victorian Regency building (brick with tall sash windows) and was the core of the old college, before the new buildings were added, all of which was on the North side of the site. I had thought the school was not included in the sale? One other thing I recall is that the Northern most pitch has a war memorial at the top corner.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 06:09:06 PM »

I haven't seen Bristol's training centre in the flesh, but from what I can gather online and from speaking to people who know both, ours will be the biggest, most advanced, and most well equipped centre in the GP.

Thanks VV - that’s quite the statement by the club.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 06:26:35 PM »

I don't remember a timber framed house in the grounds? Not near the new leisure centre. The old house, which is listed I think, is a Victorian Regency building (brick with tall sash windows) and was the core of the old college, before the new buildings were added, all of which was on the North side of the site. I had thought the school was not included in the sale? One other thing I recall is that the Northern most pitch has a war memorial at the top corner.

Ah, OK. That is Arden House I believe, and it wasn't part of the sale.  The old house I'm referring to is the next on the right.

I'm hoping to get back with a decent video camera when all the work is done and get a nice video of the place. It's going to look incredible.

Properly world class.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 06:27:20 PM »

Thanks VV - that’s quite the statement by the club.

It really is.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 06:44:40 PM »
Thanks for the info - it will make keeping players and demonstrating that we're serious, easier. And hopefully it will have an impact upon our S&C and injury rates.

Great intent. Great news

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 08:24:12 PM »
This sounds great VV cheers for the reply.

I know Bristol’s was purpose built which enabled the modern architecture etc - not sure if we’re building some new or just adapting what’s there but of course it’s the inside of buildings that will make all the difference and this does sound state of the art.

Not sure about having all the academy boys in one house - sounds messy