Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England team- 2 subs  (Read 4333 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England team- 2 subs
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »
The problem is that Jones is hyper focussed on the World Cup. He doesn't really care about anything else. But the fans, quite rightly, want to see 6N wins etc. To be frank with the resources he has anything outside of the top 2 in the 6N is an abject failure. Coupled with that he's producing teams that are dull as dishwater to watch. Dan Robson is the best SH in the Prem. But he's suffered from the same thing as Smith, Simmonds etc - people outside of Jones bubble have called for his inclusion. Jones knows best - and he uses the continued exclusion of "popular" players to prove it. That's fine if you are winning and entertaining but he's doing neither.

hopwood

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 11:06:40 AM »
The problem is that Jones is hyper focussed on the World Cup. He doesn't really care about anything else. But the fans, quite rightly, want to see 6N wins etc. To be frank with the resources he has anything outside of the top 2 in the 6N is an abject failure. Coupled with that he's producing teams that are dull as dishwater to watch. Dan Robson is the best SH in the Prem. But he's suffered from the same thing as Smith, Simmonds etc - people outside of Jones bubble have called for his inclusion. Jones knows best - and he uses the continued exclusion of "popular" players to prove it. That's fine if you are winning and entertaining but he's doing neither.

Yeah...to be honest, I just want to see good entertainment played by players with smiles on their faces and enjoying their rugby.
I want our national team to play to win and express themselves, rather than the fear of failure crippling their ambition.
Everything has been so over-controlled these past few years with Eddie....and he seems to project his limitations on to the players.

If I'm going back to twickenham and paying an absolute fortune for a day out...I want to be entertained, as I so often have in the past.
There are so many other things competing for our attention these days, that English international rugby has to be very careful it doesn't haemorrhage fans beyond repair.

The whole set-up has to become more likeable and engaging.
A bit more Southgate than Jones.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 02:13:13 PM »
Jacob on after 9 mins
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 02:27:02 PM »
Still trying to work out where he is playing!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »
When the 6-2 split comes back to haunt you when a winger gets injured early on...

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2021, 02:49:15 PM »
Jacob at 12. Dan on the wing. Bizarre. 6-2 split and injuries to Malins and Lawrence dictating.

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 03:00:36 PM »
Dan will soon have more minutes as a non 9 than as a 9!  Congrats EJ, wonderful management.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2021, 03:27:12 PM »
Really disorganised effort - if you are going 6-2 then at least one of those 2 needs to be a "proper" utility back or you need to have selected a second 5/8th as part of the starting 15....

But if you have a 13 at 12, you are reducing your options already and it wasn't clear what the selection strategy was meant to achieve....in the first place.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2021, 03:34:18 PM »
Smith avoiding passing to Jacob perchance.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »
Yes, Jones has made a real mess of it and USA have 4 tries. No idea why Malins started on the wing. If you're going 6-2 Malins should have been the bench man. We were never, ever going to struggle up front against USA so why take the risk of a 6-2?? No doubt Robson will slip further down the pecking order now having been stationed on the wing. Randall MOM but for me he's a dangerous player for his own side with his predictable darts.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2021, 03:59:32 PM »
And Randall also conceded a try with the charge down.  The England pack were poor conceding too many scrum penalties and the locks were very unimpressive. The backs didn't see that much ball in the 2nd half

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2021, 04:02:50 PM »
Robson will be down graded for not being as good a winger as say, Joe C.....

You're right re Malins - Lawrence and Slade could easily move out one to wing (Lawrence being a 13 at heart) and that left 12 without cover, and no back three cover.....That Jacob managed his game in the centres, mainly, was to his credit, and ball in hand England had options because of having two 10's on the pitch - but as for what the defensive line up was supposed to be was above my pay grade.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 04:38:36 PM »
Might have to get used to these sort of substitute gambles if numbers are reduced as have been talked about.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2021, 06:15:52 PM »
Yes, Jones has made a real mess of it and USA have 4 tries. No idea why Malins started on the wing. If you're going 6-2 Malins should have been the bench man. We were never, ever going to struggle up front against USA so why take the risk of a 6-2?? No doubt Robson will slip further down the pecking order now having been stationed on the wing. Randall MOM but for me he's a dangerous player for his own side with his predictable darts.

Joking aside, Randall had a reasonable game against a low calibre nation, but I do fear EJ will now punt Dan. Then EJ will be seeting there all smug saying I told you so. Jacob was also a fish out of water where he was playing, I too thought Smith was overlooking Jacob when he was in space, I thought it was just me. Not a great day for Wasps players due to EJ's mistakes with the bench.
It was fine when I left it.....

hopwood

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 06:45:29 PM »
It was just a mess.
Why couldn’t Eddie just drip feed in a few of these younger players into an established side in the Six Nations, rather than trying to play them all at once in the summer, at the end of a long season?

You get disjointed chaos.
And maybe, in a way, that’s what he wants...so he can revert back to his favourites saying that everyone else just isn’t ready yet.