Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New logo  (Read 11400 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New logo
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 10:32:51 AM »
That video on Twitter gave me motion sickness.

I can’t get worked up either way, it’s the modern way of doing things, at least we didn’t get one of the meaningless slogans that many businesses feel they have to adopt.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 10:44:19 AM »
Personally, it's not what I would have done, but hey, I don't pay the fat fee to the designers!

Interesting that the FC will use it as well.

What is the status of the link between the FC and the pro club?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
at least we didn’t get one of the meaningless slogans that many businesses feel they have to adopt

isn't "Wasps Always" just that? not that I can get excited about that either, its like the "We are London Wasps" slogan form many years ago, bit pointless but is necessary apparently.

as others have said, could be a lot worse.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 11:44:46 AM »
Actually I quite like it. Needs a stinger tho' ;D

As for the vid. Should have been consigned to the digital equivalent of the cutting room floor.  :-[

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »
Looks grand.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 12:33:23 PM »
Pretty indifferent to be honest.  I loved the 150th anniversary shirts with the simple, classic, original Wasp badge, so the loss of the rugby ball outline behind it is not something I will mourn.  Bit confused as the new version manages to be at once angry and aggressive looking while being overly "cartoony" to the point of slightly endearing.

The only element I really take issue with however is the fact that it is looking the wrong way.  Flip it and it is instantly more familiar.

I'm sure this is very similar to a version that was leaked or inadvertently appeared on some design studio's website a few years ago.  Looks like all trace of that has since been removed, so can't be sure, but it wasn't a million miles from this.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 01:47:19 PM »
I get that it's occasionally necessary to "refresh" your brand these days, we are a business after all and I totally applaud unifying the Mens, Women's, Netball and even the FC logos.

Some of us on here will remember the ghastly options that were put forward for the last rebranding exercise before they settled on the last logo which was pretty much the traditional logo with a rugby ball behind it. The new logo is a bit juvenile but could have been far worse, we'll get used to it.

I should add that not liking the new logo has nothing to do with the fact that my tattoo is now out of date.... 

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 02:03:21 PM »
Bleh!!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2021, 02:30:29 PM »
Would have preferred the old traditional style ,but probably after one season won’t even think about it .

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 02:51:31 PM »
Agree with Nigel Med about the options back when the Club turned pro.

Also  on the Netball team, having a rugby ball looked strange, but that could have been overcome by using a Netball instead of the rugby one.

Not too sure about why the Club needed to face the Wasp in the opposite direction, but apart from the antennae, which look "wrong" have nothing to really complain about.

<edit> just showed it to wife who's only comment was "it looks like the Wasp has got old and decrpit"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:13:44 PM by RogerE »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2021, 03:09:12 PM »
On the whole, I'm more concerned about the shirts rather than the logo.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2021, 03:24:29 PM »
If we have a decent season nobody will give a damn. If we don't it will be just another thing that "they" got wrong.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »
Was quite indifferent to logo change . Unfortunately having seen it on new training gear reminds me of cheap fridge magnet or even the bargain hunt golden gavel badge.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 04:14:08 PM »
For those who still hate the new logo, I've been reminded it could be a lot worse (see the Crusaders "improved" logo).

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2021, 05:45:17 PM »
Not too sure about why the Club needed to face the Wasp in the opposite direction, but apart from the antennae, which look "wrong" have nothing to really complain about.

Apparently the Wasp is now facing forwards which will make us a more dynamic, progressive and forward thinking club or some such consultancy mumbo jumbo. Hopefully we didn't pay the ions that BP and I I paid back in the 80s when they were told removing the serifs from their font would make them more dynamic corporations 🤔