Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England vs Tonga  (Read 5941 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: England vs Tonga
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2021, 02:09:45 PM »
Is there any difference in rules for players who are unvaccinated vs double jabbed? As I understand it only 80% of the squad are fully vaccinated

Not if they test positive.

One bizarre thing I learnt when Kimi Raikkonen tested positive at the Dutch Grand Prix is that if you are vaccinated and test positive in the Netherlands, you don't have to isolate.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2021, 02:10:17 PM »
Farrell out.
Furbank in.

Lawes as Captain.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2021, 02:24:56 PM »
Atkinson on the bench instead of Marchant is interesting, guess he’s expecting Manu to break at some stage

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2021, 03:40:59 PM »
Really not missed Dewi Morris’ commentary

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
Very pleased to have Lawes as captain. Rarely puts a foot wrong.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
Does the Tongan rfu, or the Tongan players make much money out of a game like this?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2021, 05:21:52 PM »
Does the Tongan rfu, or the Tongan players make much money out of a game like this?

No that is their complaint.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2021, 05:30:31 PM »

No that is their complaint.

So, does the game serve any real purpose?

We don't really learn anything about the England team / squad.

I doubt a completely one sided game generates any new fans

And while I do subscribe to the theory that a good way for a team to improve is to play against teams that are better than them, it does feel that there needs to be only an incremental difference in quality, rather than a massive gulf like this.

If it was financially beneficial to the players or Union, or if there was a genuine argument that the Tongan team would improve because of the experience, then it'd be completely worth it.

I hate games that are this one sided... I didn't like playing in them (on either side), and I get very little entertainment from watching them.

I'd just like to know if there's a benefit or purpose that I've overlooked

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2021, 05:35:57 PM »
I have (when a LOT younger) played in one game that was this one sided. Our captain spoke to theirs, then the ref, and we turned it into a practice/training session, swapping players, getting some coaching done.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2021, 07:40:15 PM »
scrappy first 40, however given that this was our first run out since the summer that was to be expected. I thought Furbank really played well and put some credits in the bank. However someone has to remind him not to run away from his support! Smith however, wow! Yes Tonga blew themselves out, but he really changed the nature of the game when he came on, to be fair in a way that I have never seen Farrell or Ford do. The only fly halves I can think that have done that before are players like Jonny and Carter.
Youngs...well the school is out with him, good things mixed with bad. His distribution from the ruck was so so slow.
However we need to see more from the backs if we are going to get wins against the Boks and Oz!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2021, 08:24:10 PM »
Smith was in a different league to Furbank. By a long way.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2021, 08:55:06 PM »
Yes, he was quite remarkable. Not scared to take charge and started bossing people around the second he came on.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2021, 12:03:29 AM »
The amount of touches Smith got in compared to Slade and Furbank at first receiver before that. Completely bossed everything, was great to see. Reminded me of Cips on debut in a slightly more testing match against Irelands all those years ago. Smith should just be given the shirt now irrespective of how well Ford or Farrell plays because we don’t know Smith’s ceiling yet and he could be even better in 2 years.