Always a Wasp

Author Topic: We Have Lost Fifita!  (Read 8946 times)

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: We Have Lost Fifita!
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2022, 09:22:51 AM »
It's a shame to loose both of them but suppose we have to constrict finanically. I reckon other teams will be in the same boat soon enough.

Also i reckon that Koch wasn't planned but a chance, as Scholtz hasn't worked out... Anyone know whats happened with him?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2022, 09:36:57 AM »
He was a travelling reserve yesterday.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2022, 09:51:29 AM »
It's a shame to loose both of them but suppose we have to constrict finanically. I reckon other teams will be in the same boat soon enough.

Also i reckon that Koch wasn't planned but a chance, as Scholtz hasn't worked out... Anyone know whats happened with him?

I am far from sure we have offered Koch a lot of money. Just enough would be my guess. He may have not been offered a contract by Sarries, and then was making his mind up where to go. Many clubs may have been set up for next year by then. I would suspect a 1+1 contract as a stop gap for him.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2022, 10:12:40 AM »
This season and next is going to be a turbulent time for Clubs as the new cap bites.  The contract renewals that are coming up must be most of each clubs squads after the covid-extensions.  Not to mention the salaries counting to 100% from 75% weighting into the new cap.

The timing for us might actually be pretty good.  Losing Fifita for cash elsewhere is painful (for me at least - Have been seriously impressed with him and think he gives us a point of difference at both Lock and also as a 6 potentially - with him and Shields at 6/7 + Willis/Barbeary you have a pretty big physical back row to mix it with teams that have historically dominated us). 

The silver lining is the cap is being lowered for a few years, by which time it should start to creep up again - About the time we’re likely to be need to increase the salaries of the likes of Willis x2, Barbeary, Oghre, Frost, Hislop/Millar-Mills, Cardall/Stooke, Porter/Wusty, Umaga, Charlie, Odogwu and Crossdale.

There’s a serious amount of talent in those. 

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2022, 11:10:30 AM »
He was a travelling reserve yesterday.

Ah thanks... real disappoint for me...

Doesn't look fit and can't hack it. Not great that two of our tightheads can't make half time

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2022, 11:27:58 AM »
Listening to Eggchasers this morning.  They (Well Tim Cocker who also works for BT Sport) mentions the news of Fifita to Scarlets and JB claims there’s some confusion and it’s a different Fifita (a centre) who is off there.

Given the press coverage and Lee’s comments, it would seem like JB has his wires crossed but perhaps the situation isn’t as clear cut as the reports would lead us to believe.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2022, 11:30:32 AM »
Listening to Eggchasers this morning.  They (Well Tim Cocker who also works for BT Sport) mentions the news of Fifita to Scarlets and JB claims there’s some confusion and it’s a different Fifita (a centre) who is off there.

Given the press coverage and Lee’s comments, it would seem like JB has his wires crossed but perhaps the situation isn’t as clear cut as the reports would lead us to believe.

I think Lee would have quashed the rumour if it wasn't true.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2022, 11:51:52 AM »
This whole thing makes no sense.
He's only just signed for Wasps so his salary would already be known & including in the Salary cap calculations for however long his contract was for (I remember 3 years but not sure).
Why then would it suddenly become an issue for wasps to afford him? Unless there's been one almighty accounting cock up somewhere, but you would expect to be able to trim some lesser players or those with poor injury records before getting rid of one of the teams best players?

The only way this makes sense is if:
1. He's being offered a LOT of money, which would be slightly strange for 2nd row/flanker or
2. He's very unhappy at wasps. This also seems unlikely given he's moved his family over & his social media has him out with other players & their wives & kids etc so it would need to be an issue with coaching/staff rather than personal.

All seems very odd, hopefully some clarity will appear soon.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2022, 11:55:18 AM »
This whole thing makes no sense.
He's only just signed for Wasps so his salary would already be known & including in the Salary cap calculations for however long his contract was for (I remember 3 years but not sure).
Why then would it suddenly become an issue for wasps to afford him? Unless there's been one almighty accounting cock up somewhere, but you would expect to be able to trim some lesser players or those with poor injury records before getting rid of one of the teams best players?

The only way this makes sense is if:
1. He's being offered a LOT of money, which would be slightly strange for 2nd row/flanker or
2. He's very unhappy at wasps. This also seems unlikely given he's moved his family over & his social media has him out with other players & their wives & kids etc so it would need to be an issue with coaching/staff rather than personal.

All seems very odd, hopefully some clarity will appear soon.

I think it is #1. I do not think he was on a lot, as he was not getting game time in NZ, he wanted to re-start his career. I suspect we offered him much the same for the +1 year on his contract, and he got an offer for more. It will probably turn out to be a poor decision for him, but he is young and when we are young we do silly things at times.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2022, 12:00:24 PM »
It is not that we can't afford to pay him what we were paying him.  He was offered significantly more by Scarlets and we couldn't match it.

Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2022, 12:07:35 PM »
But how is this even an option? I thought it was a three year deal? So are Scarlets buying him out of his contract?

If it was a 1+1 deal, it's a balls up by the club to go this much effort and expense to bring a player over, integrate them, and then lose them after less than 12 months.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2022, 12:16:40 PM »
But how is this even an option? I thought it was a three year deal? So are Scarlets buying him out of his contract?

If it was a 1+1 deal, it's a balls up by the club to go this much effort and expense to bring a player over, integrate them, and then lose them after less than 12 months.

It’s a no win for the Club in this case.  If they’d signed him for 3 years and he’d be rubbish or constantly injured we would have been questioning whether the club had learnt their lessons after the likes of Leuia, Lima, Eastmond and Mills and why do we have so much of the cap tied up against talent that’s not performing or not playing.

If we de-risk it and have an opt-out at the end of Year 1, we run the risk of being gazumped.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2022, 12:18:17 PM »
He was offered significantly more by Scarlets and we couldn't match it.

Is that fact? (not suggesting you're lying, just not seen that written anywhere with authority)

If so, can't blame him, he has a young family to provide for and we all know rugby careers can end suddenly.

CV2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2022, 12:33:28 PM »

It’s a no win for the Club in this case.  If they’d signed him for 3 years and he’d be rubbish or constantly injured we would have been questioning whether the club had learnt their lessons after the likes of Leuia, Lima, Eastmond and Mills and why do we have so much of the cap tied up against talent that’s not performing or not playing.

If we de-risk it and have an opt-out at the end of Year 1, we run the risk of being gazumped.

Agree with this - think the Lima debacle has burnt their fingers with these types of deals which may explain a potential 1+1 deal.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »

Maybe it's London Bridge all over again. Scarlets think they've signed Vaea but have actually signed another Fifita :-\ :-\ :-\
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!