Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brad. England Rugby's Forgotten Man  (Read 1841 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Brad. England Rugby's Forgotten Man
« on: January 22, 2022, 09:04:55 AM »
Brad Shields' resurgence as Wasps' unrelenting leader

Bobby Bridge writes:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/brad-shields-wasps-rugby-england-22826714
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Brad. England Rugby's Forgotten Man
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 09:09:51 AM »
In my opinion Brad has been outstanding, especially when we have been down to our bare bones.

I would have him over Courtney at 6 every day of the week and twice on match day.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 09:41:01 AM »
Interesting that Dai either read or was made aware of report and prepared to sound someone out about it.

If BB had made a suggestion wonder if Dai ( or indeed any manager) would have considered it?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:50:28 AM »
I do miss Dai.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 09:58:15 AM »
I think Brad is immense for the team and would be a far, far bigger loss than Alfie. How the hell he gets through the work week after week defeats me. Those game numbers Bobby quotes are bonkers.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 10:03:53 AM »
Brad falls into the "great players Eddie doesn't rate" alongside rather a lot of outstanding players around the Prem. I'd have him any time over Lawes as he is a life long excellent 6 (mainly) and was outstanding in SR in a competition that would challenge many an England squad player.

What Jones thinks he's doing with his liking for Lawes, his dislike for Nick I (who I'd play over Lawes) Curry at 8 and all the rest is the sort of "maverick" style that means we lose games like vs Scotland, Wales and Ireland due to selection and poor planning.

Perhaps Brad is lucky to miss out

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 10:35:55 AM »
I love the imagery of BB being called to the Headmasters office.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »
Ultimately what is England's loss is Wasps gain! The string of performances (was is 27 or 28 games out of 28/29?) have allowed Brad to bed in with the club and to truly shine!
His passion for the team and the boys around him are only emphasised by his reactions after the Tigers and Toulouse game. Don't know when his contract is up, but extending/renewing it must be a main objective for Lee and co!

Will be interesting to see what happens with captaincy when Launchers is back.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 12:29:35 PM »
Shields is the best six England have. Stands to reason therefore that Jones doesn’t select him.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 02:07:54 PM »
Shields is the best six England have. Stands to reason therefore that Jones doesn’t select him.

It's a lot like "Players Eddie doesn't rate" Just in terms of backs you could select Robson, Simmonds, Radwan, Devoto, Lawrence/Loz, Lynagh,  - can't think of a FB but fancy Lynagh there tbh, and perhaps Yarde at wing? And in terms of forwards Brad and Nick I come to mind and there are excellent choices all over....

All too obvious for Eddie....but I'd really like Devoto and Lawrence at 12 and 13....

hopwood

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 02:36:46 PM »
As I said last week, Brad (for me) has been one of our Top 3 best imported players over the last decade.
I just think he’s supreme. 
It took him a little while to get grounded, but boy, does his leadership and attitude set the tone for the rest of the boys.
Really inspirational guy.
He’s got a bit of Dallaglio about him, in the way that he throws everything at each game, battered and bruised.
Hanging by the end, down on one knee, with a wry smile.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 03:11:37 PM »
Problem was he was selected too soon by Eddie, who has now formed a judgement. He needed to bed in for a few months at Wasps and acclimatise to the prem before playing for Engjand. Having to adapt to  new country, be club in a new domestic event was always going to be hard.
Eddie has a history of being like a kid at Christmas, tearing at the wrapping and ruining what is inside, before forgetting about his presents come boxing day.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 03:19:01 PM by westwaleswasp »

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 03:25:57 PM »
Knowing EJ’s Arrogance I wouldn’t be surprised if he played Courtney at 6, Curry at 8 and Alfie at 7. A complete wasted opportunity

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 03:30:59 PM »
I've said it before, EJ is basically a complete dick. With all the resources he has at hand, England should just about win everything going.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 03:38:05 PM »
I reckon Brad's been forgotten Wrt England because he was rewarded caps when there were, arguably, better & younger players to select. Since they were selected he's fallen in the pecking order, and England picking youth isn't a bad thing. Just at Brad's international opportunity expense. That said he's definitely one of the best flankers in the prem ATM and really earned his worth these past 3 seasons. Hope I stays.