Always a Wasp

Author Topic: A very Wasps sort of England game!  (Read 2916 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
A very Wasps sort of England game!
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:47:37 AM »
...and is it wrong to cheer a WLR try! Felt conflicted especially as he conned Daly!

I enjoyed the game and as Billy said at the end, it's good to see strong South Africa again. One controversial impression I got was that despite the mistakes, I could see how the Brown and Daly selections were not as bad an idea as it first seemed. Brown's hard carrying into contact, beat the first tackle, but not often passing suits being the last person given the ball. I think Daly was hurt after he fell challenging for a high ball, hope it isn't too serious and wonder if that affected his performance following. The Daly non-grounding real time to me looked like he had grounded that ball to me as it seemed to move, not sure if it was reviewed though as I had to leave the room just after. Think Daly was also a bit left hung out to dry a couple of times and glad the pundits said that.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: A very Wasps sort of England game!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:04:54 AM »
Did anybody else think Youngs looked more and more out of it in the second half? He was blowing hard and failed to keep up with the breakdowns. Shields looked totally out of place in the second row.

Very Wasps? Yes. It almost looked like Wasps playing Wasps. Frenetic at times, and entertaining, if somewhat frustrating.

WLR and Faf showed the class that they were and, IMHO, were what turned it around for the Boks. Their experience pulled that side back into the game.

Itoje was back at his best, but I am not sure Robshaw was a good choice. Get Launch back from injury at lock and Shields starting in the back row for the next match. Give Dobby and Cips a go at 9 and 10.

Cowan-Dickie also excelled.

As I said, great game.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »
I'm glad it's not just me that thought they both played like Wasps.

I'd say Elliot showed he is a brilliant player, but that constantly moving him around and palying him out of position causes him positional issues.

WLR was truly world class yesterday, a genuine joy to watch.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:59:10 AM »
First 20 our half backs looked lively, helped by some very fast breakdown work, I also think the competition for places helped sharpen their minds, but once SA started to find a bit of rhythm and go through the gears England seemed to revert to type and the same old issues started to arise.

Daly was great in attack but a square peg in a round hole on defence. Brown had one decent attack and then turned into a defensive turnstyle. Slade and Farrell partnership has promise but really needs a better halfback pairing. Youngs looke pedestrian compared to Faf, and Ford too easily goes into his shell.

Itoje was a penalty machine, Shields anonymous (but out of position), Curry was promising but needs bulk and power. Billy worked hard but just coming back from injury, same with Nathan. Need Launch back next week.

Our defence coach should be looking for another job ..... oh. Our attack coach worked wonders for the first 20 but lost their shape when our forwards lost the platform.

SA were woeful for the first 20 so can't get too excited I'm afraid. It'll get harder next week.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Vermeulen yet. I thought he played far better than Billy. He's been playing his rugby in Toulon recently. Faf played Youngs off the park and Willie was sheer class. Interesting that the 3 most influential Boks all have been plying their trade in the Northern hemisphere.

On a separate note, I thought Mako was just a tad unlucky with his yellow. Itoje, on the other hand, is turning (has turned?) into a penalty machine and is a thoroughly nasty piece of work. Seemed to have a personal vendetta with Faf and should have seen yellow at least once.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
I am not sure that hit (by Maro) on Faf after he boxed kicked should not have been red.

It was late.

It was not the result of Maro trying to charge the ball down or tackle Faf.

Maro actually changed posture and rotate his shoulder into faf's face.

It was a head shot.

It was deliberate.

It was done with force.

The rules say that is a red.

Will he get cited for it?