Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 7670 times)

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2022, 10:01:41 AM »
Had to watch it again this morning just to make sure

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2022, 10:34:10 AM »
Who was captain after Joe, Brad and Dobby had all been subbed? Gopps, I guess. The reason I ask, is that someone had to decide to go for the TBP, the win and 6th place in the table and impart it to the rest of the team, all of whom backed him to the hilt. It could have gone wrong of course and we could have lost the unlikely LBP that we had clawed back from a poor performance. Everyone busted a gut for that win and everyone wanted it so bad. That final pass from Charlie to the Dog was very ballsy. Nerves of steel.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2022, 10:35:48 AM »
Having watched the highlights: I love how I've been claiming a change in identity for the club, and then Atkinson throws some of the most Cipriani-esque passes I've ever seen. Especially the last try. Jesus Christ. Well played lads.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2022, 10:42:58 AM »
Had to watch it again this morning just to make sure

Think you must be watching the wrong video. Have been online looking for reports in the "nationals", but according to those, apart from the internationals, the only match played was Sarries v Bath :(

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2022, 10:59:04 AM »
Great final pass from Atkinson - recognised we were playing with advantage and went for it. Also worth mentioning the Miller burst that made it possible. For me with Miller and Crossdale likely to be fit for Bath it makes for an interesting choice at 15.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2022, 11:51:15 AM »
I'd like to think that Charlie would have the confidence to throw that pass, penalty or not. As I said on another thread, Smith or Cips would never die wondering and with tiredness creeping in it is only a matter of time before someone fumbles the ball in those sorts of positions.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2022, 12:30:22 PM »
If you can pull a result out of the fire when you as a collective have an absolute mare of a game that says a lot about team spirit and belief.

and fitness😀

At the end, I think that is what it came down to, fitness. 42 straight phases of tackling and the Chiefs lads as they hit the deck, stayed down, but our lads were bouncing back up, even Barbeary, who had a bruising game. 42 phases when tired is a feat the Wasps of a few seasons ago could not have managed.

We definitely look a lot sharper in the skills department, when have we looked that comfortable with the ball over the last few years? Far too often we cough the ball up cheaply or just drop passes. A few moves were halted with passes slightly behind the man but our hands and skills are much improved under Robinson.
Rewatch the build up to Launchbury’s try, some lovely touches on there as well as the Porter break and offload and Atkinson over the head.

We looked much more solid with Miller at the back. Special mention to Morris who put in a great shift replacing Shields, just never has a bad game. And Atkinson, when he gets flat and starts fizzing flat passes to people in space, well he looks very good when we have quick ball

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2022, 12:36:23 PM »
My wife has just commented "It made all the difference to our intensity against Tigers when Gaskell came on. Same against Sarries and yesterday".

hopwood

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2022, 12:39:35 PM »
Who was captain after Joe, Brad and Dobby had all been subbed? Gopps, I guess. The reason I ask, is that someone had to decide to go for the TBP, the win and 6th place in the table and impart it to the rest of the team, all of whom backed him to the hilt. It could have gone wrong of course and we could have lost the unlikely LBP that we had clawed back from a poor performance. Everyone busted a gut for that win and everyone wanted it so bad. That final pass from Charlie to the Dog was very ballsy. Nerves of steel.

Stooke was talking to the referee as if he was captain at one stage.
But not 100% sure.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2022, 12:48:18 PM »
rogerE ......   exactly what my family have been saying. 

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2022, 02:16:05 PM »
I think Miller reads the game very well, and when he comes off the bench he is a bit like Solskjaer in the ManU days of yore.

He still looks to have pace and may well have 2-3 more years ahead.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2022, 02:56:21 PM »
We have just watched the match and what a finish. Never known Wasps hold the ball so long without dropping or infringing. 
Taking the match as a whole we were not too bad - just lost too many points in a relatively short period  I do think our subs notched things up a fair bit. Nice run we are on.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2022, 03:30:17 PM »
Can you believe that with Sale winning today we are 5 Pts off 4th.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2022, 04:21:02 PM »
Bath and a depleted Quins up next.

I thought Atkinson was very good yesterday.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2022, 04:58:33 PM »
Bath will be the banana skin :o
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!