Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Building the Future  (Read 8462 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Building the Future
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2022, 02:31:58 PM »
From all the academy news that has been announced during recent weeks, it very much feels as the foundations to the future are being well and truly put in place.

I fancy that some of these lads will get a run out in the GP next season.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2022, 03:02:51 PM »
You would hope that PRL and the clubs would reinstate the A League series of fixtures. It would benefit the Academies of all clubs.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2022, 03:12:36 PM »
Lucky for him, he doesn't sound Welsh ( 🤣😂🤣😂 ), having gone to Clifton College.
Well he's definitely got a Welsh accent. Cardiff area is a bit different from the Valleys.

He seems switched on and speaks very well. Hope he's a huge success at both medicine and rugby à la Jamie Roberts.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2022, 05:22:54 PM »
The wording of that official announcement is a bit strange [my emphasis]:

We are delighted to announce that Immanuel Feyi-Waboso will link up with Wasps Senior Academy from United Rugby Championship side Cardiff Rugby ahead of the 2022-23 season.

Why not join or become part of? It sounds like he's being attached to the academy rather being part of it.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2022, 05:47:12 PM »
Agreed, but this quote is more positive:

Wasps Head of Academy and Recruitment Kevin Harman said: “We are extremely pleased to have signed Immanuel on a long-term contract.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2022, 06:07:32 PM »
Indeed. How long does a degree in medicine take these days? Guess the docs on here will know.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2022, 07:47:24 PM »
Some really thoughtful news and man management going on.  By announcing each one separately and a couple of days apart they all get their 15 minutes of fame with accompanying headlines. Great for their friends, family, coaches and everyone else involved in their development as well.

Well done whoever came up with that strategy.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2022, 08:18:42 PM »
Some really thoughtful news and man management going on.  By announcing each one separately and a couple of days apart they all get their 15 minutes of fame with accompanying headlines. Great for their friends, family, coaches and everyone else involved in their development as well.

Well done whoever came up with that strategy.

+1

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2022, 09:40:25 PM »
Well he's definitely got a Welsh accent. Cardiff area is a bit different from the Valleys.

He seems switched on and speaks very well. Hope he's a huge success at both medicine and rugby à la Jamie Roberts.

3 A*s in his A-levels. If that translates into rugby intelligence he will be some player!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2022, 10:05:53 PM »

3 A*s in his A-levels. If that translates into rugby intelligence he will be some player!

Yes, as a retired teacher, I would say impressive (but earned in Covid grade inflation years maybe).

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2022, 10:07:36 PM »
Isn’t a medical degree five years? Don’t imagine he’ll have much time off for training during the day. Maybe he’ll ‘link up’ with us whenever he’s free and hasn’t got assignments etc
A PT degree could be a very long process, wonder how long the contract is we’ve offered him

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2022, 10:23:29 PM »
Isn’t a medical degree five years? Don’t imagine he’ll have much time off for training during the day. Maybe he’ll ‘link up’ with us whenever he’s free and hasn’t got assignments etc
A PT degree could be a very long process, wonder how long the contract is we’ve offered him

Five years? mmm. I seem to recall another prem player did the same, but had intermittent 'time off' to play. A sort of part time degree. It cannot be impossible I would think, and maybe the university might consider it a worthwhile piece of publicity to have a premiership player 'on their books'?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2022, 05:22:30 AM »

Five years? mmm. I seem to recall another prem player did the same, but had intermittent 'time off' to play. A sort of part time degree. It cannot be impossible I would think, and maybe the university might consider it a worthwhile piece of publicity to have a premiership player 'on their books'?
I've been trying to remember his name, Quins player if its the same one. Didn't he give up professional rugby because managing 2 careers we just too much?