Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bye bye Italy!  (Read 1899 times)

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Bye bye Italy!
« on: February 17, 2022, 04:24:11 AM »
Have to make the trip one more time...
EXCLUSIVE: South Africa are set to join the Six Nations in 2025 https://mol.im/a/10520605 via https://dailym.ai/android

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bye bye Italy!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 07:12:44 AM »
Insane.

Always going to happen with CVC after more money.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 07:36:56 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder:

South Africa's switch to the Six Nations is still very much on, with talks continuing about the Springboks joining Europe's showpiece tournament from 2025.

It is understood that, behind the scenes, the private equity firm are acting as a driving force in promoting talks aimed at ensuring South Africa join the Six Nations. They are said to believe that significant commercial gains can be achieved only by fundamental upheaval and reform.

Looks to me like they're still having talks about having talks. And that second quote is a nice passive statement. My guess is its from CVCs PR company and they're trying to force the pace by getting it in the public domain. There's also a lot of noise on Twatter and its being pushed hard by a couple of organisations.

The alternative is a bottom place play off to give the likes of Georgia an incentive, which probably doesn't appeal to the likes of CVC because it won't be a s financially lucrative in the short term, if ever.

One thing's for sure, if Italy don't improve their game they are going to lose their place.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 07:39:56 AM »
If that happens, it will **** ** player availability to the GP clubs even more.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 07:50:19 AM »
If that happens, it will **** ** player availability to the GP clubs even more.

I don't see this as a problem, the more game time for youngsters and fringe players the better.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 07:55:32 AM »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 08:07:19 AM »
"They are said to believe that significant commercial gains can be achieved only by fundamental upheaval and reform."

Do a deal with the devil...

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 08:21:31 AM »
Would that mean more South African players in premiership or less.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 09:32:11 AM »

Forgetting any wider implications it may have on the premiership or European rugby as a whole, it would certainly elevate the 6 Nations to an almost world cup level competition.

You obviously wouldn't have new Zealand in it or Australia, but Australia are far from the team they were.

With South Africa, England, Ireland, France and Wales all in the same competition, a winner, particularly a grand slam winner would likely be the best team in the world

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »
Was listening to The Good, The Bad and The Rugby yesterday who recorded from Rome over the weekend.  I'd never really had much of an appetite for an Away Day in Rome given that it's always likely to be a one-sided game but listening to them yesterday made me change my mind that a bit of Rome sunshine and the Rugby would be a good excuse for a long-weekend with the Family in 2024.

Could be a bumper few years for Rugby Away days.  Hoping to get to some of the RWC23 games, Italy away in '24 and also The Lions in Oz in 25.

Be quite nice to get some more interesting away games for Wasps as well in the Euros that Toulouse/Cork.  Quite keen on Newcastle away for the Prem as never been, but always seems to be on a crappy rainy, windy Friday.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 08:08:29 PM »
The upside of SA would be the Slam would be a huge and rare achievement once more.
It would remove the importance of AI matches though, no more  SA, a weak Australia and a NZ team who cost a bomb to host and carefully make sure they get testing matches like Italy, Scotland and Wales with the odd match against teams that have beaten them. I think this would be a shame, I like AIs but if we play SA every year it really is just Australia, Argentina and NZ who will line up with a chance of a win. SA may still play and host tours, but their relevance outside 6n would be reduced. We could still play them but we could equally play France in the Autumn.

In terms of replacing them, Italy last beat a tier one nation about 5 years ago. It was SA, ironically.

BarossaD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 08:13:44 AM »

Quite keen on Newcastle away for the Prem as never been, but always seems to be on a crappy rainy, windy Friday.

It’s a good in trip. If you make it, I recommend a stop at Wylam brewery before or after, especially if it’s late season - good beer in a lovely setting.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 03:19:58 PM »
Isn't part of the 6N experience that you can take a long weekend, chuck in a bit of sightseeing if you want to and not break the bank?

How many existing 6N supporters would be able to travel half-way round the world for one game? Would it be a good thing to play in front of what would probably be an overwhelmingly home crowd?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2022, 03:35:12 PM »
Would rather they bring in a relegation/promotion with the second tier if they need to increase interest/revenue. If they feel need to generate more income maybe look at possibility of play off between 1st/2nd with either neutral venue or home advantage to nation who has had only 2 games at home, if it fell that way