Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dean Richards charged with "Conduct prejudicial to the interests of the union"  (Read 3041 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
I thought Chick was a clear red IMO. He gets the obligatory 3 game ban.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
And the rfu have given them Dean Richards (presumably the other one) as TMO this week, top trolling!

https://twitter.com/FalconsRugby/status/1496775810669477888?t=50wtdSyhVrdJg2ylql6vJA&s=19
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 12:13:36 PM by Chunky24 »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
He makes some fair points IMO:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/richards-charged-with-conduct-prejudicial-to-the-interests-of-the-union/?fbclid=IwAR0w3b8-_Kh-3Rl1rqbXRgGWjnK7KvWD9JQPQH6zdj5XKFyJvNfBCur1ybE

His comments were more than fair. They were spot on. How can telling the truth be bringing the game in to disrepute? Welcome to Russia, where you are told what to think.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/richards-charged-with-conduct-prejudicial-to-the-interests-of-the-union/?fbclid=IwAR0w3b8-_Kh-3Rl1rqbXRgGWjnK7KvWD9JQPQH6zdj5XKFyJvNfBCur1ybE

His comments were more than fair. They were spot on. How can telling the truth be bringing the game in to disrepute? Welcome to Russia, where you are told what to think.

Indeed. I think his criticism was made in a balanced way also. Every Monday lunchtime at work we discuss referee inconsistency over the weekend's games, it must be simply infuriating for coaches.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile

Lets leave politics out of this. He's the DoR and should know the rules. You don't think Lee and others have ever wanted to say the same thing but kept their gobs shut or were more subtle about it and didn't stick their necks out quite so far? What makes Deano special?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
There’s obviously a bit of favouritism in some way, shape or form or they don’t know what they’re doing.

Are people on here really condoning a DoR saying that about the referees team after a game? He's calling them biased or incompetent.
He has form for saying stuff like this before & he's got away with it, this time I hope he get a ban.
There a proper process to discuss referee performance after a game & gobbing off like this is not it.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
There’s obviously a bit of favouritism in some way, shape or form or they don’t know what they’re doing.

Are people on here really condoning a DoR saying that about the referees team after a game? He's calling them biased or incompetent.
He has form for saying stuff like this before & he's got away with it, this time I hope he get a ban.
There a proper process to discuss referee performance after a game & gobbing off like this is not it.

Not condoning the slating of the ref, but I believe some of his points are very valid re the inconsistency/ contradictive nature, eg the line out throws not being straight, but then penalising for jumping across, it happens an awful lot.....

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
+1

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
I am always very cynical when a DoR gobs off. Would he have done it if Budgies had won? Somehow I doubt it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
believe some of his points are very valid re the inconsistency/ contradictive nature, eg the line out throws not being straight, but then penalising for jumping across, it happens an awful lot.....

Totally agree, but publicly accusing refs of being biased or incompetent is not the way to highlight the issue.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I have to admit I really dislike the way Richards goes about his business. This is by no means the first time and he fully deserves the sanction. There’s a huge difference between referee’s getting some things wrong and referees showing bias. And let’s not forget this is the same Richards who selectively doesn’t see negative incidents such as the Bassett gouge if they are committed by his team.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I don’t understand why it’s taken so long to bring the charge, it could have been done at 9:05 on Monday morning?

Whether he’s right or not isn’t the point, he’s broken the rules and that’s the charge.  Let’s not forget that he has an official channel for venting his spleen without rugby taking another step towards the disrespectful way soccer is played. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I don’t understand why it’s taken so long to bring the charge, it could have been done at 9:05 on Monday morning?

Whether he’s right or not isn’t the point, he’s broken the rules and that’s the charge.  Let’s not forget that he has an official channel for venting his spleen without rugby taking another step towards the disrespectful way soccer is played.

Anyone actually know whether these "official channels" actually achieve anything? Could it be that DoRs feel they are being ignored and only vent because of that (although Richards does have previous).
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
My view is that success is measured by outcomes. In this case, are we seeing better consistency between referees, and with one referee within a match? Are we seeing an improvement in the quality of decision making? Do we think some laws are poorly framed making refereeing of them difficult?

The fact is, there IS an internal system where feedback is fed up the chain, and that the referees do themselves regularly meet to discuss both individual performance and application of the laws.

On any measure that you choose to take, the system as described is not successful in delivering improvement, and is thus not working. My belief is that is the root cause of Deano's frustration.

Do we think that, with better training, more time, etc. any given referee will 'improve' (use whatever measure you want)?

If we argue that refereeing becomes more complex and difficult as one progresses up the ranks (from junior, through amateur, then professional, then international), then the Peter Principle would assert that a referee would at some point likely be 'promoted' to the level of difficulty that no amount of training will empower them to perform well.

It is all very well saying Deano should be slammed. He will be. Just as Rassie was. The problem though has not gone away, will not go away. The ref is always right is a bonkers law. This is a 'sweep it under the rug solution'. In games, players will come to 'trust' some referees less, respect them less. Where do you think it will end? Soccer comes to mind. Respect is not dictated, it is earned. That is a basic tenet of human nature, and we cannot ignore it.

That is what I inferred in my earlier comment. Whether you like it or not. What Deano said was correct, but it was not 'right' for him to say it. Do you think Lee has not felt the same after many matches, or Dimes, or any others of the DoRs? They all have. Lee has the good sense not to publicly say anything, but the twitterverse will be full of such comments. Are they all wrong? Well, the 'sour grapes' explanation has to come as a riposte. But, I have posted before now about how poor such and such a referee was, when we won. Is that sour grapes?

How did any of you feel as a player when through a whole game you knew the ref was so bad, maybe so against your side, that you simply couldn't win? I know I have played in such matches. How did you feel? Did it make you want to simply not play? It did for me.

Professional rugby players are just as human as you and I. They feel badly done to when a ref just is just plain bad. It spoils their job for them.