Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 36-player England squad ahead of their match against Ireland.  (Read 2147 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Eddie Jones has named a 36-player England squad ahead of their Guinness Six Nations match against Ireland (Saturday 12 March, 4.45pm KO).

Sam Underhill, Nic Dolly and Alex Mitchell return to the squad for the first time since the 2021 Autumn Nations Series. Orlando Bailey and Luke Northmore are also named in the squad.

Alex Dombrandt tested positive for COVID on Friday 4 March. After recording a positive LFT in the morning, he immediately went into isolation and did not take part in training.  A PCR test confirmed the positive result later that evening. He is expected to rejoin the squad later next week.

Raffi Quirke suffered concussion in Sale Sharks’ game against Exeter Chiefs and is unavailable for selection. Jonny Hill, who has been undertaking rehab on a low limb stress injury since he arrived into camp, has returned to his club Exeter Chiefs for the remainder of the tournament.

Forwards

Alfie Barbeary
Jamie Blamire
Ollie Chessum
Tom Curry
Nic Dolly (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
Alex Dombrandt
Charlie Ewels
Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Joe Heyes
Maro Itoje
Nick Isiekwe
Joe Launchbury
Courtney Lawes
Joe Marler
Bevan Rodd
Sam Simmonds
Kyle Sinckler
Will Stuart
Sam Underhill

Backs

Orlando Bailey
Elliot Daly
George Ford
George Furbank
Ollie Hassell-Collins
Louis Lynagh (Harlequins, uncapped)
Max Malins
Joe Marchant
Alex Mitchell
Jack Nowell
Luke Northmore
Harry Randall
Henry Slade
Marcus Smith
Freddie Steward
Ben Youngs

Alfie and Joe included - but will we get them back and, if so, will it be in time to do other than just take part in the Captain's run?

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 36-player England squad ahead of their match against Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 11:32:56 PM »
Can’t believe Underhill is back in. Though there was some talk that he might need to sit out the rest of the season with the head knocks

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
Easy enough to select a decent pack - though I doubt it will be the one I'd prefer....and I too can't believe Underhill is back. I too guess we'll see Alfie and Joe late in the week.....

But we pick a squad of backs with no regular 12 and the likelihood of a pedestrian back three selection...

When England's issues are getting over the gain line and penetration - even vs Italy we were rank average (according to the data) and we're facing a team that is rather unlikely to be as switched off as Wales were for the first 50...

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 09:03:54 AM »
I think Launchbury will play but we’ll get Barbeary back. Hope Eddie keeps Mitchell! Can’t see anything but two losses for England - not that it will be enough to see the end of Jones.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 07:50:23 AM »
26 man squad - both retained by England

Launch is preferred (according to the BBC narrative) to Nick Isiekwe

Not sure what they are seeing at the England camp - but if Wasps were playing on Saturday, I'd probably prefer Nick to Joe on form and fitness......Joe wasn't really up to international pace last time out and Stooke would probably be number one SR at Wasps right now?

Forwards

Alfie Barbeary (Wasps, uncapped), Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 5 caps), Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 39 caps), Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 7 caps), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 29 caps), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 34 caps), Jamie George (Saracens, 64 caps), Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps), Maro Itoje (Saracens, 54 caps), Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 69 caps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 91 caps), Joe Marler (Harlequins, 77 caps), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps), Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 50 caps), Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 18 caps).

Backs

Elliot Daly (Saracens, 55 caps), George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 79 caps), Max Malins (Saracens, 13 caps), Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 10 caps), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 37 caps), Harry Randall (Bristol Bears, 4 caps), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 46 caps), Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 8 caps), Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 8 caps), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 115 caps)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 08:40:50 AM »
16 forwards and 10 backs, so depending n bench split, at least 2 of those forwards won't make the 23.  One of those will be a prop, most likely Heyes.  With 5 locks in there and only one flanker in Curry, then it looks certain Lawes will start at 6, but even so, I can't see how there will be room for all of them, and at least one of Launchbury, Chessum or Ewels will miss out.

Dombrandt can't be more than 50/50 as his positive test was only last Friday, so the earliest he can rejoin training is tomorrow (I think?), and then only if her returns 2 negative tests.  Far from ideal preparation.

I'm hopeful we might see Alfie off the bench.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 11:22:42 AM »
So Furbank and Mitchell available for Saints.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 11:33:16 AM »
So Furbank and Mitchell available for Saints.
I suspect I'm going to end up eating these words. I used to be impressed by Furbank but I think he's gone right off form. Another of Eddie's casualties?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 11:41:04 AM »
Alfie being retained in case Dommers doesn't rejoin I guess. I can see him being the dreaded travelling reserve and not playing.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »
I think both will be on the bench. Jones will probably stick with Ewels for some unfathomable reason with Lawes at 6.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 05:12:30 PM »
The leaked selection is: Genge, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Ewels, Lawes, Curry, Simmonds, Randall, Smith, Nowell, Slade, Marchant, Malins, Steward.

But that is from ruck via mailonline.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 06:01:22 PM »
Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s bang on.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 07:04:25 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me either

Re Lawes - looking at the Opta stats on the England games - we're not - so far - substituting the go forwards we got from the Vunis and/or Manu, but in terms of tackles made.....Lawes does his share, ditto Curry, but neither would be first choices for Wasps...(well we might fancy Lawes at SR) as we like our flankers to offer rather more than tackle....

I realise the need for a Capt, but Lawes will be over 34 at the next RWC so why not play Isiekwe and get a young dynamic player match fit for the RWC?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 07:13:48 PM »
My pet hate is playing people out of position. Sometimes it’s necessary. But with the choices England have in the back row playing a lock there is insane. I could name half a dozen better options at 6 than Lawes. A fine lock though he is.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 07:46:18 PM »
My pet hate is playing people out of position. Sometimes it’s necessary. But with the choices England have in the back row playing a lock there is insane. I could name half a dozen better options at 6 than Lawes. A fine lock though he is.
I share the same hate. We've got to the point where Wasps' backrow is actually better than England's

Re out of position, this was a quote from a Southern Hemisphere
The midfield has no answers. 13 is at 12 and a fullback at 13 and the wings are centers. He seems to have a crush on Tom Curry, preferring him at 8 over Alex Dombrandt for two years, only to prevaricate between Curry, Dombrandt, and Sam Simmonds
Quite...