Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New signings to come  (Read 4278 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New signings to come
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 11:41:35 AM »
Keeping us on tenterhooks for this week at least then.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 12:10:34 PM »
All ill-informed/wishful guesses welcomed.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 12:30:09 PM »
It was interesting seeing that readers voted the most for fly half under "what position to Wasps need more depth". Rather than 12. Interesting.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 12:54:46 PM »
Can see the additional backs we’re in the market for being either a young prospect, championship player or an experienced option out of contract and without a plethora of options rather than a front line signing.

Any room for Sirker back on the left wing? he looks to be having a great season down at the Pirates - was only a one year deal too. Cheaper than Watson and Minozzi and probably as affective.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:06:39 PM by JonnyD »

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »
I would like to see a good 10 come in and a powerful winger, other then that I think most places are pretty solid

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 02:37:40 PM »
I think one of the signings will be Ryan which will complete our propping contingent based on the assumption Scholtz and JTA depart. Backs wise I don’t see an easy solution at 10. An established 10 isn’t going to want to play second fiddle to Umaga and Atkinson and a prospect 10 just gives us more of the same. Unless they are serious about Umaga at 15. I think it’s more likely to be a winger and a 13.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 03:24:56 PM »
I think one of the signings will be Ryan which will complete our propping contingent based on the assumption Scholtz and JTA depart. Backs wise I don’t see an easy solution at 10. An established 10 isn’t going to want to play second fiddle to Umaga and Atkinson and a prospect 10 just gives us more of the same. Unless they are serious about Umaga at 15. I think it’s more likely to be a winger and a 13.

If we can and I'm sure it will not be easy, i would like to see a first choice 10 with Atkinson and Umaga having to play second fiddle, I just don't think both are currently ready

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 04:23:23 PM »
I'm never happy with our back 3 options. Bassett is fine, but overall, I don't feel that we scare anyone regardless of who is playing there.

That being said, I'm not sure it's the most important part of the squad.
Due to our frailties elsewhere, we rarely get good ball out to the wings anyway..... And I hate focusing on defence for wingers as a primary skillset.

We've struggled too many times to get a decent centre partnership on the pitch. Therefore I'd want to see more centres who we'd see as 1st/2nd choice.

We need to also know if Hougaard is staying.
If he's not, we need another scrum half, otherwise we're an injury away from Porter/Wusty again and that didn't work too well last time

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 04:43:56 PM »
Personal view is that we need a 'solid' 15 - strong in tackle, quick, good boot and an eye for a gap. Jacob ticks 3 of those 4 boxes but I much prefer him in the 10 shirt. So is Atkinson the conundrum for Lee?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 07:09:26 PM »
Yes, I must admit I see Umaga as our 10 with Atkinson backing up. Gopperth has been the comfort blanket of cover and I guess that shifts to Mills and Miller if they are retained. At 15 we have the possibility of Crossdale, Mehson, Miller, Watson, Minozzi and Simonds in the current squad. I’d imagine us retaining Crossdale, Mehson, Miller and Simonds. I think there is enough there for me and with resources tight I’d focus on centres.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 09:05:00 AM »
I'm never happy with our back 3 options. Bassett is fine, but overall, I don't feel that we scare anyone regardless of who is playing there.

Agree.  Bassett is excellent, but not the kind of winger that scares defences and creates space for others in the way that Wade, Beale, Piutau or WLR have done previously.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »

Agree.  Bassett is excellent, but not the kind of winger that scares defences and creates space for others in the way that Wade, Beale, Piutau or WLR have done previously.

He does scare teams at kick-off times though. In several recent matches the opposition have put a couple of blockers to try prevent him from getting to the ball, or scragging the receiver.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 09:54:27 AM »
I think Bassett would scare defences if he received more decent ball. He has a good rugby brain and rarely makes poor decisions. I’d wager that he’d make the starting line up of the vast majority of Prem teams.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
I think Bassett would scare defences if he received more decent ball. He has a good rugby brain and rarely makes poor decisions. I’d wager that he’d make the starting line up of the vast majority of Prem teams.

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber