Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting comments from CMK  (Read 1321 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting comments from CMK
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 11:41:17 AM »
Who'd have thought I'd be agreeing with CMK?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 12:00:51 PM »
Who'd have thought I'd be agreeing with CMK?

+1

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 01:06:38 PM »
Plus 1

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »
Got to agree with him there. Perhaps he needs to invoke guidelines.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 02:54:00 PM »
I am a bit confused TBH.

If the RFU guidelines say "Water carriers may only be permitted onto the playing area for the purposes of taking water to the players at such times as shall be approved by the referee"
Why does he not enforce that & send water carriers off, with the threat of cards if he is not obeyed? With the touch judges as well, surely it wouldn't 't be that hard to do?

Sounds to me that he already has guidelines & sanctions in existence he's just not using them.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 03:03:46 PM »
I am a bit confused TBH.

If the RFU guidelines say "Water carriers may only be permitted onto the playing area for the purposes of taking water to the players at such times as shall be approved by the referee"
Why does he not enforce that & send water carriers off, with the threat of cards if he is not obeyed? With the touch judges as well, surely it wouldn't 't be that hard to do?

Sounds to me that he already has guidelines & sanctions in existence he's just not using them.

I thought the same when I read the article.  If it requires referee approval for a water carrier to come on, then CMK, as the referee should be controlling that situation, and the laws already allow him to do just that.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 03:16:37 PM »
'For the purposes of taking water to players...'

Not to pass on tactical information then.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 04:28:43 PM »
Bring the bottles on with RC cars then, and keep the water boys off. When I played, we NEVER had water breaks (except when the doc doused you with ice cold water from a bucket and sponge to revive you).

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 08:58:33 AM »
Bring the bottles on with RC cars then, and keep the water boys off. When I played, we NEVER had water breaks (except when the doc doused you with ice cold water from a bucket and sponge to revive you).

How many times in a game do players need to take on water?  The vast majority of the season is played in cool or even cold weather, and it's "only" 40 minutes per half.  I know these guys work bloody hard on the pitch, and understanding of wellbeing etc has moved on, so I don't begrudge players taking on fluids periodically, but there is absolutely no need for water to be brought on at every break in play.  I would even favour the COVID restart format where a water break was allowed for all during a break in play roughly mid way through each half.  Far less disruptive than all the current comings and goings.  But unless the temperature is somewhere approaching 20C, then professional athletes should be able to go 40 minutes without a drink and not suffer any ill effects.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 09:09:27 AM »
Super rugby has definitely tried to speed this up, as well as injured players, if they can walk get them off the pitch and treat them or get back in the game.
Seen a few SH players comment on the NH game too on socials about how often the water carriers come on and hold the game up.

I have a few die hard RL fans and they constantly mock unions ‘time in play’ statistics. Of course different to league with their versions of line outs and scrums but we definitely need to speed things up to keep the attention of fans, especially at international level. Water boys, lineout meetings and scrum resets are a growing contributor to this