Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 7350 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »
So are we all supporting Glasgow tonight? We’re a higher seed than them, so think I’m right in saying that if they win we get a ‘home’ semi: In the UK, but neutral ground. 

Wonder where Lyon will choose to play theirs if they win.  Lille would be handy! (Maybe not if you’re a Lyon fan)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2022, 03:01:26 PM »
In amongst the chaos that’s a really good point. Isn’t that 7 wins and a draw in the last 8?

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2022, 03:04:54 PM »
A game that could have gone either way right to the final whistle. Not sure the ref will get a good review  from that game. How was that not a penalty try in the second half. No different to Joe pulling down the maul on the line last week. Clear knock in build up to one of our tries and I too thought deliberate knock on right at the end.

On field management just isn’t right. I like Joe and we are a better side with him in it but he doesn’t seem to have the Captaincy respect needed. The free kick incidence in the first half is a good example. Why do that when we had complete scrum dominance.

Cracking game by the forwards but where has the classic wasps attacking backs game gone. As someone else said did Josh or Hooligan get a decent pass in the whole game. Porter tried to screw it up again and Dan had moments of genius but some real brain farts as well.

A win is a win in knock rugby and on to next weekend. Come on your Waps.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2022, 03:10:22 PM »
So are we all supporting Glasgow tonight? We’re a higher seed than them, so think I’m right in saying that if they win we get a ‘home’ semi: In the UK, but neutral ground. 

Wonder where Lyon will choose to play theirs if they win.  Lille would be handy! (Maybe not if you’re a Lyon fan)

Thought it was just home advantage this year not neutral ground "home"

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2022, 03:10:54 PM »

I think reading the rules the semi finals are not at neutral grounds. I know the champions cup games are but rules just say for the challenge cup that the team with highest ranking has home advantage. Doesn’t say home country advantage. I may have misread and be wrong but a semi final at the CBS would be huge.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2022, 03:14:02 PM »

I think reading the rules the semi finals are not at neutral grounds. I know the champions cup games are but rules just say for the challenge cup that the team with highest ranking has home advantage. Doesn’t say home country advantage. I may have misread and be wrong but a semi final at the CBS would be huge.

I think both tournaments are home grounds this year, teams usually have had to declare (and provisionally reserve) their neutral venue by now just in case.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2022, 04:03:54 PM »
Well done Wasps. Have to admit though, l was starting to shout at Porter again right at the end! We had to really scrap to see it out.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2022, 04:36:21 PM »

On field management just isn’t right. I like Joe and we are a better side with him in it but he doesn’t seem to have the Captaincy respect needed. The free kick incidence in the first half is a good example. Why do that when we had complete scrum dominance.

It wasn't really any better when Joe was out injured.

It's all about leadership teams.
Joe and Brad should both be leading regardless of who the official captain is.
Dan, Jimmy and Hougaard should be leading the backs

But, Dan is obviously struggling so shouldn't be expected to lead anything. He just needs to get his game back together.
Jimmy may also be focusing on his own game to ensure he's the best version of himself he can be at his age.

So many individual brain farts over and over again.
Hard to predict that some of them will happen and do something about it in advance..... Especially when we learnt last week that we can't necessarily trust our bench

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2022, 04:55:45 PM »
I do admire and respect Alfie, but I do wish that T  Willis was playing at 8.  Is it because of pressure exerted  by EJ  wanting Alfie to play 8?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2022, 05:03:31 PM »
I do admire and respect Alfie, but I do wish that T  Willis was playing at 8.  Is it because of pressure exerted  by EJ  wanting Alfie to play 8?

Who knows but agree Tom is the better 8 but Alfie strangely produces little moments of magic.
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2022, 05:31:13 PM »
I wonder if both Alfie and Tom try too hard because of the selection issue. They have both made more mistakes than usual in the recent past.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2022, 05:57:19 PM »
I wonder if both Alfie and Tom try too hard because of the selection issue. They have both made more mistakes than usual in the recent past.

You might apply that question to the positions of scrum half (Dan vs Will) and fly half (Jacob vs Charlie).

Hopefully, recruiting will resolve 12 and 13, but 14 and 15 still concern me. I am far from convinced with Zach and Marcus. For me, Frannie isn't what we need out at 14, whilst I will admit he is a better choice than Zach, Marcus and Paolo. Ali Crossdale, Luke Mehson and Sam Spink should be looking to step up.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »
Alfie and Tom are at similar levels of experience and talent.

Dan and Will Porter are not. Neither are Charlie and Jacob.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2022, 06:27:58 PM »
Technically I rank our 8’s as Willis, Carr, Barbeary but it’s obvious Barbeary also brings things the others don’t. I don’t think it needs a solution. We’ll be wringing our hands one week wondering how we keep a fantastic player like Carr happy and find game time for Willis. A couple of knocks later and they might play a string of games. It’s a tough scenario but in reality it’s exactly what you need to be a top team.

hopwood

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
I think it comes down to overall team strategy.

Young and Carr really suit our dynamic running and offloading game.
Alfie and Jack really suit our bosh game.

Tom Willis, for me, suits all types of game.

And Brad Shields is the first player on the team sheet, every week, without any debate.

I’m just not sure what gameplan suits our current crop of players most.
I’m currently confused.