Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 16134 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2022, 04:40:49 PM »
Do you think it's a ticket sales opportunity? - I don't. I can't identify the demographic that has been away for a few years that would suddenly invest in a ticket because he's signed up. Outside of the Wasps Wade fanboy club, of which most are members of this board, I'm not sure he's particularly relevant. He's no longer even a rugby name ..nor the bare minimum of being an ex International.

This has just been a profile exercise for me...with his 'Dream' now splattered, he's reverted to the only other thing that peaks peoples interest in him, the game he dislikes..sorry, loves so much. whilst plugging twitter trying to get a free car to use while he's here of course.

Harsh and grating as are too many of your posts, H'optera. If you think he's no longer even a rugby name then you are just plain wrong.
What's harsh? Harsh because you don't agree or because you're overly invested?
He may be a rugby name to you, but to the average someone who is contemplating whether they go to watch a game or even invest in a season ticket, he's not a dial mover..he's not a Habana, Beale, Pollard..his name doesn't expand beyond existing, invested Wasps supporters. What % of those invested Wasps supporters would need to decide to attend for him to be classed as an opportunity, I reckon every single one that has decided to stay away.
Hold him in whatever esteem you see fit but i believe your misguided in thinking he means anything to everyone. I suspect we'll never know if I am right or wrong, so you do you and i'll do me on this one.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2022, 05:12:59 PM »
Do you think it's a ticket sales opportunity? - I don't. I can't identify the demographic that has been away for a few years that would suddenly invest in a ticket because he's signed up. Outside of the Wasps Wade fanboy club, of which most are members of this board, I'm not sure he's particularly relevant. He's no longer even a rugby name ..nor the bare minimum of being an ex International.

This has just been a profile exercise for me...with his 'Dream' now splattered, he's reverted to the only other thing that peaks peoples interest in him, the game he dislikes..sorry, loves so much. whilst plugging twitter trying to get a free car to use while he's here of course.

Harsh and grating as are too many of your posts, H'optera. If you think he's no longer even a rugby name then you are just plain wrong.
He may be a rugby name to you, but to the average someone who is contemplating whether they go to watch a game or even invest in a season ticket, he's not a dial mover..he's not a Habana, Beale, Pollard..his name doesn't expand beyond existing, invested Wasps supporters. What % of those invested Wasps supporters would need to decide to attend for him to be classed as an opportunity, I reckon every single one that has decided to stay away.
Hold him in whatever esteem you see fit but i believe your misguided in thinking he means anything to everyone. I suspect we'll never know if I am right or wrong, so you do you and i'll do me on this one.

I think for those youngsters in Coventry who watched Wasps through the free ticket / Galactico period hearing his name back on a wasps teamsheet would be enough to get them badgering parents / coaches etc to be taking them again or going themselves with mates.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2022, 06:04:23 PM »

I think for those youngsters in Coventry who watched Wasps through the free ticket / Galactico period hearing his name back on a wasps teamsheet would be enough to get them badgering parents / coaches etc to be taking them again or going themselves with mates.

+1. Not sure what a ‘dial mover’ is but Wadey was the most exciting and recognisable galactico of that period. No question.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2022, 06:04:27 PM »
My trips involve a pretty big distance, and a lot of effort, and yes, Wade on the sheet greatly increases my chances of going. Correspondingly, I don't especially want to travel to watch us move the drinks cabinet one inch closer to Berlin. Sorry, but I don't really want to see us win in the style we have often been grinding wins out this year. There would be no point in signing him in order to stuff it up the jumper.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2022, 06:06:33 PM »

I doubt any one player would make a difference to the casual fan, whether that be Christian Wade, Marcus Smith or Billy big balls.

Winning games and making the experience enjoyable is what can win over fans.

I bet Bristol's attendances were unaffected by the signing of Kyle Sinckler, and I'd be very surprised if the signing of Ellis Genge makes a difference either.

If he helps them battle for league honours then maybe they'll see an increase in attendance

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
Just for you H'optera. Here is an interview in today's Telegraph with Mr Rugby Anonymous.

Christian Wade exclusive: 'I can break the Premiership try record in one season'

Christian Wade, the former England and British and Irish Lions wing, believes his last conversation with England head coach Eddie Jones six years ago was a ploy to keep the public happy as there was no intention of picking the prolific try-scorer.

Wade, who left rugby for the NFL in 2018, has not been capped at Test level since England's 2013 tour to Argentina and was not selected during Jones’ first season in charge in 2016 despite scoring 12 tries in the Gallagher Premiership for former side Wasps. He is now considering a return to rugby, with one eye on the Premiership's try scoring record which was recently broken by Chris Ashton.

Describing Jones as "a bit of an awkward one", Wade explained that the England head coach encouraged him to "keep scoring tries" during a phone call without offering any more informative feedback.

"He wanted me to work on the stuff I was already good at, already smashing. I obviously said to him ‘yeah, that’s what I’m doing and will continue to do’,” Wade told Telegraph Sport.

"But it wasn’t very informative, you know what I’m saying? How do I get in the team, what’s the purpose of this call? It was almost like he called me so that when I spoke to the media I could say he had called me.

"Before there wasn’t really much chat, but I guess at the time there was pressure on him because of the performances I was putting in. It was almost a courtesy call. I’d rather if you have nothing to say, just don’t call me.

"I think I should be in the team, if you don’t think that then that’s fine, but just be straight up. Say what it is, I’m not picking you for whatever reason, or if you don’t want to say why then just don’t call me and let me get on with it."

Wade, 31, is currently leaning towards a return to rugby after spending the past three-and-a-half years in the NFL as a running back with the Buffalo Bills, revealing that he has spoken twice to his former side Wasps since returning to the UK last month.

"Ultimately, [Wasps] do want me to come back," Wade adds, with the all-time Premiership tries record, currently held by Chris Ashton on 95, in his sights just 13 ahead of his 82 league tries.

"I can do that in one season," Wade says on overtaking Ashton’s mark. "I’ve been doing that since I was a kid. That’s something I’m intrigued by, being back in the Premiership one day to claim that title."
Whether Wade comes back to the Premiership immediately even with Wasps' interest is unclear, with Major League Rugby in the US plus Japan and France all on the table. Describing how he felt before making the major career decision to leave rugby to attempt to crack the NFL, Wade believed he was being blocked by a glass ceiling.

"I’d been at the top with England and the British and Irish Lions, but it was as though I was never going to be a regular at that level for whatever reason," he said.

"No one’s been able to tell me why. That’s the reality of it. Because it’s out of my control, I was content with that and my focus was just being the best athlete I can be. My game went through another level and I got to the point where I was breaking records and felt I needed a new challenge.

"I don’t want to go back into rugby or to a team where I’ll feel that with the glass ceiling effect, or not being able to push the boundaries in terms of performance on and off the field, striving for the best possible."

Misconceptions over Wade's defence and the other areas of his game aside from his lethal finishing ability continue to bemuse him, recalling the extensive work he underwent at Wasps with defence coach Brad Davis.

"One day [Davis] told me: ‘Everyone talks about your defence but have they pulled up the stats?’ If you looked at them for a winger, and even across the board, I rarely missed tackles, my high ball work was really good. Chris Ashton and other guys were missing way more tackles than me, so I asked him ‘why is everyone on my case?’ He said he didn’t know, but that we’d continue to work to keep getting better.

"From that point on, I knew it was a perception. People still say it now, ‘it’s because he misses tackles’, but you’re using the same boring excuses that were used ages ago which were never facts."

Following a fast-tracked education into the complex world of American football, Wade produced a remarkable 65-yard touchdown in a pre-season game for the Bills which went viral. Despite not being able to make Buffalo's final 53-man roster for the season - not helped by a shoulder injury last summer - if he never returns to the NFL then Wade feels he has already succeeded regardless.
"I’m fulfilled. Everything I went through leading up to that first touchdown, in that moment, all the lows and the days where I woke up at 6am thinking it was mad hard and had I made the right decision, is this what I signed up for?

"Those thoughts would go through my head all the time when I was being shouted at and getting stuff wrong. When I scored, in that moment it was what I needed to cement in my head and give myself that thumbs up to say I had made the right decision, that everything I had been through was all worth it in that moment. If I didn’t make a 53-man roster, or touch the field ever again, for that moment alone it was amazing."

While Wade could still bide his time on another NFL practice squad for an opportunity, a return to rugby feels stronger than ever.

"Ultimately a move back to the Premiership will happen at some point. It might not be the first place I go, but it will happen. It all depends on the circumstances," Wade adds. Defences beware.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2022, 08:20:26 PM »
Got to love the guy for trying so hard and don’t for one minute think the worst of him for trying but can someone just offer him a contract soon so we can stop having to read the cringing interviews. If we get him back, great, if not I don’t think it will affect us. I really hope he gets a contract and he will do - I’m just ambivalent as to where it is.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2022, 10:10:30 PM »

I doubt any one player would make a difference to the casual fan, whether that be Christian Wade, Marcus Smith or Billy big balls.

Winning games and making the experience enjoyable is what can win over fans.

I bet Bristol's attendances were unaffected by the signing of Kyle Sinckler, and I'd be very surprised if the signing of Ellis Genge makes a difference either.

If he helps them battle for league honours then maybe they'll see an increase in attendance

I disagree with the winning part. Winning alone is not enough.
Sarries win  and nobody turned up- 10 k ground regularly not filled, with Vicarage Road before that deserted, and not because the fans knew they were cheating, most vehemently denied it and we all thought something suspicious but had no proof.

They played dull, dire rugby, despite players like Goode and Lozowski. Nobody came, in London, a city of 10 million on the doorstep. Crowds then picked up as they developed a more nuanced approach.

Chiefs have the regional support. Like any club based on strong regional identity, they don't need a positive style. Glaws have been peddling dull rugby on what was a swamp at Castle Grim for the best part of my life, and it is always full. Saints and Tigers too.

Teams like Quins, Wasps, Sarries need more.

Wasps were box office, Quins are box office.

I agree the experience as a whole is important, and winning or being top table helps as the season progresses, but ultimately style is important for a club like Wasps. Firstly, prior to the Midlands move, Wasps had Wade and Varndell running them in, and a fan base bought up the glory years of high risk high reward defence and an exciting set of backs where the set piece was secondary. Then when we moved we *literally* sold ourselves as entertainers- the poster had that Mr Anonymous Wade on, and said we played entertaining rugby. Not winning rugby. Entertaining.
If you populated the sports network boards in 2017, you could see many an envious comment as our backs tore it up.
We need more than the back play we had last year. Some heroic defensive performances, some great wins, some scraped ones, but they won't bring the crowds back. We need to see that ball given some air, an all court game.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2022, 01:21:08 AM »
Ross, I won't quote you so as to take up the entire page..but I'm not clear on the relevance of the article to the discussion, perhaps because there is none.
Yet another 'woe is me' article that fails to mention he was not selected by 3 England coaches, not just Jones.
As for labeling him a Galactico..this thread is getting more bonkers by the second.
As Shugs says, I don't care where he goes or what he does, inside or out of rugby, but please god just make it stop...Maybe just one more article and Dacia will lend him the free car he is coveting...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:39:30 AM by Hymenoptera »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2022, 02:25:22 AM »
I quoted the interview because I disagreed with your statement that he is no longer a rugby name. As for what he has to say, he is answering the same questions over and over again. It is not his fault if the journos cannot find something different to ask.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »
Ross, I won't quote you so as to take up the entire page..but I'm not clear on the relevance of the article to the discussion, perhaps because there is none.
Yet another 'woe is me' article that fails to mention he was not selected by 3 England coaches, not just Jones.
As for labeling him a Galactico..this thread is getting more bonkers by the second.
As Shugs says, I don't care where he goes or what he does, inside or out of rugby, but please god just make it stop...Maybe just one more article and Dacia will lend him the free car he is coveting...

I think I used the word galacticos in this thread, that period of Wasps with Beale, WLR etc was commonly called the galactico period, a quick Google shows numerous references to that, however it doesn't mean every player is one, the recruitment policy was what gave the team that label then but players like Wade benefitted greatly from it.
When I talk to children / young people in Coventry who I coach / teach / know that went in the free ticket / "galactico" era the one name they all remember and ask if he is still playing for Wasps is Christian Wade not the recruited galacticos. That doesn't mean he is / was one but he is the name that excites that group of young people who currently don't go to games and are moving  shortly into being young adults who might be the next generation of supporters.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2022, 07:59:43 AM »
He's pretty much just getting as much publicity as possible, to get as many offers possible, to get the best salary possible (potentially to drive up a salary at Wasps). Although after salary cap reduction and many players being out of jobs, he'll struggle somewhat arguably.

I'd still love him to be back. Imo he's motivated and wants to play well. If he wanted money he'd not exclusively stay in the prem.

And many argue whether he's famous or not, but this is the guy who, alongside Beauden Barrett, got me into rugby.

hopwood

« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2022, 09:19:09 AM »
so we can stop having to read the cringing interviews

Now, now. Papers print stories. 
Fans on forums attach articles.
And, well, people on Twitter do twattish/twittish things.

The joy of it all, is that ‘you’ have the choice (only always)…and you don’t have to read a word of any of it.

Woo-hoo!  ;D