Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers  (Read 14519 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2022, 12:35:29 PM »
Ross  -  ignore the trolls on the other thread (I've left it for the time being)  and save your energy and puff for important things.  Take care of yourself and get better.

Thanks for your thoughts, Wonky. However I was addressing Rugbyintheblood who said he was in poor health in another thread.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2022, 12:38:05 PM »
All I want is for Wasps to have a harmonious relationship with everyone that uses the arena, including ccfc.
And personally it would be nice if there was less hatred among some ccfc fans and Wasps fans. Unfortunately that's often human nature so I don't expect it to change

Now this is something with which I can agree wholeheartedly.

This may be a banning offence in and of itself - and even if it isn't, I'm sure someone will use it as "proof" that I'm an interloping Coventry City fan, here to stir up trouble! - but as an olive branch of sorts, I'd like to say that the posters at Sky Blues Talk aren't all bad.

Yes, some of them embody the worst stereotypes rugby fans have about football fans (and in fairness, they'd probably say the same about us); however, the rest of them are just impassioned supporters of their club, who feel they're caught in the middle of a load of corporate b.s. for which they're not to blame, and they're feeling hacked off as a result.

I, for one, know what that's like.

They have a thread on the forum that's dedicated to raising funds so they can buy season tickets "for other individuals, families and children" - as cynical as I am about football as a whole, that's just plain nice, and I think it should be applauded.

None of this in any way justifies the extremist, "F**k Wasps - they're a bunch of c***s and I hope they die!" stuff that their lunatic fringe keeps spewing, which remains utterly indefensible as far as I'm concerned. I just think we'd all benefit from exercising some empathy and highlighting our similarities instead of our differences (and that goes for humanity as a whole, not just this specific Wasps-vs-CCFC scenario).

Let the sledging commence!  ;)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2022, 01:13:03 PM »
CoDY. I agree with you 100%. However, for what it's worth I don't go onto other fans' sites and troll them unmercifully. I have always strongly resented these actions - not just by Sky Blues fans but also from supporters of other rugby clubs. I have the greatest sympathy for CCFC fans, the vast majority of whom are not trolls. But why the obvious was not done before the season started and rearrange their home fixtures to be played away is beyond me. Both sides seem to be aware that there would be problems with the pitch yet all I have seen is that Dave Boddy said it was "impossible" without any elaboration.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2022, 01:22:07 PM »
Completely agree, Rossm - I can't think of a single occasion on which internet trolling has been in any way beneficial, and it only ever serves to widen divisions and stir up bad blood.

As for the specifics of the current dispute between the two clubs, I share your sense of bewilderment. There's so much speculation and hearsay going around that separating fact from fiction is nigh on impossible as things stand.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2022, 01:27:11 PM »
Rossm I don’t really know what the definition of a troll is. There are two threads I post in, one about the pitch, which is directly affecting me as an individual and 20,000 others, and one about Answers from the club, which is something that also affects me somewhat.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »
For whatever little it's worth, I don't think you're a troll, Sam.

There are certainly some posters at Drunken Wasps whom I feel fit the bill, although trolling - like so many other things in life - is very much in the eye of the beholder.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2022, 01:32:34 PM »
Completely agree with what  CoDY and Ross say.  It is a pity that a few  bad apples  can give  such an awful  (and incorrect) impression of the rest of the crop. Their schools must have breathed a sigh of relief when they left.   

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »
I bet none of your schools were approved like mine :)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2022, 02:27:03 PM »
 Nice one Sam! One of my sister-in-law's schools was  tho'

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2022, 03:10:45 PM »
I bet none of your schools were approved like mine :)

Damn you, Sam. I've waiting for ages to get that joke in ;)

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2022, 03:11:45 PM »
An Internet troll is: someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
(Urban Dictionary)

I don't think Sam fits that description, whether you agree with him or not he at least tries to engage and make a case.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2022, 03:18:45 PM »
Rossm I don’t really know what the definition of a troll is. There are two threads I post in, one about the pitch, which is directly affecting me as an individual and 20,000 others, and one about Answers from the club, which is something that also affects me somewhat.

I can't say I have a definition of what a troll is, other than to say, I know one when I come across one - bit like turds actually. I don't include you in that group. Perhaps because you didn't try and disguise your allegiance when you registered your handle. Also, you have a sense of humour which real trolls lack totally and you've never (AFAIK) hijacked a thread.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2022, 03:37:25 PM »
Another ex employee and nothing particularly new in there.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »
It's an interesting take, but does seem to ignore that a lot of the business losses have been caused by investing in the future of the business. That Covid happened and essentially stopped everything dead for two years had made it look a lot worse than it would otherwise. Making a loss per se is not always a bad thing.

Its probably worth saying that Derek is not the only person on the board who has invested in the future of this club and the associated business.

I hope he stays with us because he is a lovely chap and deserves every success, but if he does choose to cut his losses and go I will always be grateful to him for what he had done for me, my family, and my club.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here