Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Derek Speaks  (Read 5150 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Derek Speaks
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2022, 11:25:18 AM »
It will be interesting now with another game postponed that Wasps will be “pushed” for a response statement to the Boddy dialogue today. I really do hope they don’t give one. It’s quite obvious everything is being done to get it right - within an acceptable budget - we don’t need to get involved in “statement tennis “.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2022, 11:28:48 AM »
CoDY   ...  yes, I do understand.  And now you are one of us  (you've got 6 likes on only 66 posts which is not bad going)  you will gradually learn about the various posters  -  and who has been having a bad day and who had a good one, as I'm sure you've probably discovered.   And who talks twosh; that's usually me  but every one is very kind and helpful.  Sometimes posts don't read the way the writer means.  Stick with it.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2022, 03:43:29 PM »
Unlikely, Barney wasn't an argumentative attention seeker from what I remember.

Thanks for making a snide, one-line drive-by attack in a thread that has otherwise been pretty nuanced and civil, despite various points of disagreement. Very helpful!

I think CODY has been balanced.

Non-sarcastic thanks for that, Wombles - you make some very fair points in the rest of this post, and while I don't concur with all of them, you've certainly given me food for thought.

How do you know who Grendel is then?

This isn't quite the "gotcha!" you seem to think it is, I'm afraid - I've been visiting SBT on and off since the most recent bond update two weeks ago, in an attempt to see what the 'other side' makes of it all, and Grendel appears to be quite a notorious prat even among his fellow CCFC fans.

Calm down CoDY;  you're in danger of imploding.

I'm trying to stay calm, Wonky, really I am - not easy in this heat, speaking as someone who finds anything above 25°C to be uncomfortable! - but it gets a bit tiresome to face accusations of acting in bad faith on such a regular basis. I'm sure you can understand that. As for "imploding", it certainly isn't my intention to lose my rag and get myself banned, if that's what you mean.

I guess it boils down to expectation. CODY wanted a full dialogue around five or six things. Personally, I think the statement is more than Richardson was obliged to do (which was nothing). Neither expectation is wrong. Contrary to what some outside of this forum think there is plenty of disagreement here but it’s conducted in a reasoned manner - differing opinions don’t indicate interlopers. Let’s be honest - if someone wanted to set up a fake account just to wind people up that’s very much their problem.

Thank you, Shugs - as with Wombles' post above, this was greatly appreciated, despite our differing perspectives on Richardson's statement.

The club is solid, there are no plans for CVAs or other financial implements.

But Richardson's comments didn't preclude anything but administration, as TeflonTed and SBSam have already pointed out. That's what bugged me in the first place!

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read this far, and apologies for the War and Peace-esque post.

Don't sweat it. You'll get used to the same few who have little to offer other than snide or sarcastic comments.
While I don't agree Derek is required to offer any more as a quote, keeping the response succinct and classy, i welcome your POV.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2022, 03:59:27 PM »
Not long up on The Telegraph -

Coventry City are considering legal action against Wasps after being forced to postpone a second home match this season over an “unsafe and unplayable” Coventry Building Society Arena pitch.

Telegraph Sport has been told the Championship club could sue their Rugby Premiership landlords for failing to provide a playing surface that is “safe and fit for purpose” and to compensate them for any lost revenue.

The major escalation in the row between the two clubs follows the announcement that Coventry’s home match against Wigan on Tuesday had been called off following an “independent” pitch inspection.

It also comes after Wasps owner Derek Richardson was forced to deny the club was to enter administration amid suggestions on social media that they were on the brink of going bust.
'It is our supporters who are suffering'

Coventry’s opening home game of the season against Rotherham last weekend had already been called off due to the state of the pitch – on which 65 rugby Sevens matches were played in three days during the Commonwealth Games – while they had to play their Carabao Cup first-round tie against Bristol City to Burton Albion’s Pirelli Stadium on Wednesday night. Coventry’s home game against Huddersfield Town next Saturday is also under threat.

Accusing Wasps of reneging on a “promised investment into a new pitch” and of failing to deliver an “action plan” they vowed to implement last weekend, Coventry chief executive Dave Boddy said: “It is our supporters who are suffering in this mess, and the players and staff too.

“These are incredibly difficult circumstances for the football club. The pitch has now been independently found to be unsafe and unplayable by the agronomists and previously by EFL [English Football League] match officials, and we are now desperate for this situation to be resolved by the Arena and Wasps.”
'The pitch is under enormous strain'

Wasps chief executive Stephen Vaughan did not respond to requests for comment, having issued a statement on Tuesday which read: “In May we informed CCFC that we would not be relaying the pitch. No objection was raised to that course of action then or at any other time.

“Maintaining a pitch with two sports on it is always a challenge, so the recent unique set of circumstances has been particularly difficult and has naturally put the pitch under enormous strain.

“The business has a number of priorities to deal with. Despite what some may think, we want CCFC to play all their home games here and it benefits no-one when there are issues such as this played out in public with incorrect or missing information.

“It is extremely disappointing to, yet again, be defending ourselves against rumour and accusation, particularly as it’s the supporters of CCFC and Wasps who are having to deal with the fallout. We won’t be getting involved in a protracted, public discussion about this, which serves no-one’s interest, but felt we needed to ensure people had the correct information.”

Wasps acquired a 250-year lease on the Coventry Building Society Arena from freeholders Coventry City Council in 2014, shortly before launching a £35 million bond scheme to help finance the purchase.

Bondholders were due to be repaid this summer but the club announced a delay, compounding major fears over their future raised when they requested millions of pounds of public money from the West Midlands Combined Authority.

Coventry, meanwhile, have been repeatedly exiled from the stadium since it was built amid rows over rent. Last year they signed a 10-year license to play there until 2031.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »
It was always going to happen. Boils down to what the small print in the contract says - no way of knowing. It will be interesting to see if this is possible given that one of the broad agreements that the initial reconciliation was built around was for CCFC to cease any litigation. That may not apply to the future and only existing stuff. Where it becomes tricky is if they just postpone won’t they get the income back - albeit down the line and in effect get a dual benefit. More questions than answers but an inevitable outcome unfortunately. It is apparent that anyone who gets remotely connected to them ends up embroiled in a mess. This may be less of their doing but I knew the day we got back into business with them there would be issues at some point.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »
I said at the time that Wasps were bonkers to have let CCFC back. Proved correct. Let the current agreement run and expire, then never again. Let them build their own stadium.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2022, 06:34:40 PM »
I said at the time that Wasps were bonkers to have let CCFC back. Proved correct. Let the current agreement run and expire, then never again. Let them build their own stadium.

Remember being a big +1

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2022, 10:39:57 PM »

And lose the money from the stadium sponsorship?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2022, 11:11:59 PM »
Please stick to dealing in facts SBSam - you’ve no idea if the stadium sponsorship was dependant on the return of CCFC or not.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2022, 11:14:54 PM »
Please stick to dealing in facts SBSam - you’ve no idea if the stadium sponsorship was dependant on the return of CCFC or not.

I posed a hypothesis / asked a question.

I suppose it may have just been a happy coincidence after all those years of no naming rights income.

And in terms of dealing in facts, didn’t you say that the bond issue would all be sorted in a few weeks - many weeks ago. That was clearly your opinion, which you are entitled to, however misplaced it has proved to be, Ihave an opinion on the juxtaposition of the football clubs return and the stadium sponsorship by a Coventry based business with the word Coventry in its name. I may, of course, be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:36:18 PM by SBSam »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2022, 12:13:13 AM »

https://xkcd.com/552/
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2022, 09:08:32 AM »
On the one hand, it’s encouraging to hear Derek break the silence.  That being said, I find it hard to agree that they are being very transparent with bondholders and that makes me slightly cynical about the overall quote.

Perhaps they’ve been as transparent as they can be due to the processes and diligence they’re in, but for a process they originally thought to be straightforward to now be elongated with nobody seemingly able to explain why, suggests that it’s not ‘very transparent.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2022, 10:41:08 AM »
Fissler saying that when the CVA rumours circulated clubs contacted players agents but that stopped when Derek commented.  Probably malecow excrement.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2022, 11:03:33 AM »

https://xkcd.com/552/
😂😂

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2022, 11:24:22 AM »
Thanks Neils  -  that made me laugh too ......