Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Surprised that only now!  (Read 1656 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Surprised that only now!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »
I think Lee's view is similar to some on here where it feels like players react by trying to win it on their own rather than sticking to the process as Gopperth kept saying towards the end of Dai's time with the club. Interesting how they went on to the final that year.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »
Love the accompanying photo.  Scrum half typically chipping in whilst safely hidden behind a prop as things start to get heated!  ;D

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »
Maybe, like me, they don't believe that a sports trick cyclist is a real job.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 09:34:49 AM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 09:59:51 AM »
Maybe, like me, they don't believe that a sports trick cyclist is a real job.

I am a bit that way as well, but I do believe that a lot of sport is in the head and you have to train how you react to situations. It doesn't look like Lee is going full on Stuart Hooper just yet though.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 10:28:46 AM »
Surely England's cricket team this summer shows that exactly the same individuals can perform significantly better as a team with a change in mindset? It doesn't all have to be "Mind gyms, a gym for the mind" nonsense.

Quins were said to have gone through similar after their player revolt that changed the week's training practises and lead to a Prem title.

We want things to change and then mock the change when something different is tried. Maybe give it a go first?

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 11:05:54 AM »
I regarded the Harlequins victory as being the consequence of the players taking more control, with a sense of 'thank goodness we have got rid of Gustard and his horrible training methods and playing constraints'.

Wasps have a reputation now for throwing away games if you go for them. That means the opposition is well motivated to play all 80 minutes.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »
Sports psychology came to prominence through a guy called a Bob Rotella who worked with a lot of top golfers in the ‘70s.

I read his book a long time ago and from what
I remember it was mostly about strategies for mentally  relaxing between shots, How to then transition  to be focused on the shot and avoid mental distractions like thinking about a bad shot, the consequences of missing a putt etc., how to practice effectively and other lifestyle advice.   Most of it was fairly obvious when you thought about it, and his job was to think about it.

He was never going to to turn a sow’s ear in to a silk purse, but at the very top of a sport like golf fine margins really do make make big differences. 

Obviously golf is a completely different sport, but I can see that there will be a marginal benefit of working with individuals and the team as a whole, if only to hear what they’ve been told by other people.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 01:12:44 PM »
The thing is, it doesn't actually matter what you, I or even the coaching team think of the use of a sports psychologist, its about whether the players find it beneficial or not. Clearly some do, Steve Peters work with British cycling is a classic example. Some players will have a lucky sock or a lucky way of getting changed, or they have a religion that they feel helps them. These are all mental aids to performing at the highest level they can, have a psychologist is just another one of those aids.

From the article it sounds like the use of a sports psychologist at Wasps is not new (Umaga said he used a psychologist last season to get him over a very bad patch & that, additionally, he had found god with the help of JTA!) so the better question to ask is if he's been there a while, it clearly isn't working so how good is he?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 02:37:49 PM »
I suppose the main additional query would be what the SP's remit is. If it's been on an individual basis (Umaga) say then it's probably marked as "working" if the players are happy with their input. It may well be that the SP has now been given a wider team remit and I guess if that's the case - we'll see.

Looking back at last season, we did have a couple of reverses that stick in the mind, but there were also the games that were close and could have gone either way. Any team will have bad games/half games, and it might well have been (making it up here...) that we got close in games where we were playing above ourselves, given that at times last year, the coach driver was asked to bring his boots just in case, ditto hospitality....So I think it's a positive that we're looking to see what improvements - if any - a SP might bring collectively, and to see how a season goes with more usual injury levels....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 02:47:24 PM »
to see how a season goes with more usual injury levels

Lets hope we get one of those !!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 02:56:50 PM »
In my opinion, for whatever that is worth ;), Glaws would not have made their comeback if LR-Z had not produced his moment of opportunist brilliance. He's almost certainly the only player in the Prem who could have scored that try. Most others would have probably kicked to make the ball safe.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 03:02:44 PM »
In my opinion, for whatever that is worth ;), Glaws would not have made their comeback if LR-Z had not produced his moment of opportunist brilliance. He's almost certainly the only player in the Prem who could have scored that try. Most others would have probably kicked to make the ball safe.

Arundell?