Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Mark Evans opinion piece on what's wrong with the premiership  (Read 1524 times)

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
From rugbyworld.com

Opinion: Will losing London Irish be final Premiership wake-up call?

Fijian Drua CEO Mark Evans examines the state of play in the Premiership after London Irish's demise

https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/opinion-will-losing-london-irish-be-final-premiership-wake-up-call-155669?utm_medium=social&utm_content=rugbyworld&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Evans opinion piece on what's wrong with the premiership
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 01:31:31 PM »
I don't think it will be the wake up call required whilst the Premiership has it's "perfect 10" number of clubs.

If one more club goes to the wall though that could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 01:39:51 PM »
Also remember CVC will be behind all of this.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 08:15:23 PM »
His core point for me is the crux of the problem. The PRL marks it?s own homework. Owners who have invested never to be seen again millions are searching wide eyed for trophies and glory. Why should they be interested in the good of the game? Their ego?s are such that if the league came down to them and one remaining club they?d celebrate as much as winning a competitive league. But the fact remains, elite rugby is still dependent on these individuals instigating change. They?re not going to do it while 10 clubs exist. The worst thing that can happen for elite rugby is that the 10 limp on. Interest will wane, the game will die. One more unfortunate soul to the wall and it is too obvious that it?s untenable and change must happen. Bad for whoever that is in the short term but it?s what the game needs.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 12:13:11 PM »
Simply put, we need to see more clubs go bust, but not the ones that will go bust. Awkward.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 03:42:54 PM »
His core point for me is the crux of the problem. The PRL marks it?s own homework.

The worst thing that can happen for elite rugby is that the 10 limp on. Interest will wane, the game will die. One more unfortunate soul to the wall and it is too obvious that it's untenable and change must happen. Bad for whoever that is in the short term but it's what the game needs.
  This. I'm afraid it is going to limp on until it's too late for the game in England.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 07:57:00 PM »
His core point for me is the crux of the problem. The PRL marks it?s own homework.

The worst thing that can happen for elite rugby is that the 10 limp on. Interest will wane, the game will die. One more unfortunate soul to the wall and it is too obvious that it's untenable and change must happen. Bad for whoever that is in the short term but it's what the game needs.
  This. I'm afraid it is going to limp on until it's too late for the game in England.

I think there is a good case that Wasps didn't take the medicine soon enough, same for Irish. I'd rather be watching Wasps in the championship than not at all. Although in my case I would probably not have started watching if they hadn't taken the course they did.

It now looks like the whole league is going to follow. With people in charge determined to build a house of cards.