Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Pudsey teasing something about Wasps  (Read 2965 times)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Pudsey teasing something about Wasps
« on: July 21, 2023, 09:56:56 PM »
I'm not expecting it to be much, but might be interesting to see what plays out.

https://twitter.com/WaspsKitMan/status/1682487728816922626?t=vwfnNfUWto0OrfHvjyYALQ&s=19

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pudsey teasing something about Wasps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 07:21:38 AM »
I'm glad  to know that Pudsey is still being kept  busy.  There will always be a home for Pudsey. About any news ...  in  my mind,  no good news  by the end of August means that is the end of everything rugby Wasps.  As usual, I hope I'm wrong.  Take care of yourself Pudsey.  Keep going on!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 08:46:04 AM »
Why the end of August?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 09:15:39 AM »
I would have said the end of April.

Last April!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 09:51:37 AM »
Not sure what news there can be in reality. We?re not playing anywhere next year. Any playing return could only be autumn 2024. The last time we played was two years prior. It would have to be well down the leagues. You have to wonder about the interest.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 09:53:11 AM »
Not sure what news there can be in reality. We?re not playing anywhere next year. Any playing return could only be autumn 2024. The last time we played was two years prior. It would have to be well down the leagues. You have to wonder about the interest.

Unless it is the CVC franchise system going live.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 10:46:13 AM »
BiND ...  I have absolutely NO idea why I focused in on August!  No inside info. of any sort is involved.  It maybe that it's the 'end' of summer and the (almost) beginning of a new season, and there is no news on the horizon.  And the cricket is rained off. 

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 12:10:15 PM »
WW,

Fair enough, I just wondered if you had some insight I?d missed.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »
If only BiND!!!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 11:49:17 AM »
I would imagine that guys and gals behind the scenes are still working their butts off to make something happen.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 01:44:25 PM »
I would imagine that guys and gals behind the scenes are still working their butts off to make something happen.

But realistically, what can happen?
Wasps won't be playing in the Championship for the coming season.
The only other option is to play either at the bottom of the pyramid, or at an intermediate level that would be agreed with the administrators of that level. Not sure how Wasps could show they should be at level 5 for example without having a squad of players that had played some matches so their strength could be assessed.
The option to re-integrate with the Amateur side seems to be a none starter given the Wasps FC AGM report given on the DWs site.
Technically I don't think its too late to play at level 10, plenty of clubs at the level will be wondering if they can get 15 players together regularly enough but you would expect to have heard something by now, either officially or not.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2023, 03:10:58 PM »

But realistically, what can happen?
Wasps won't be playing in the Championship for the coming season.
The only other option is to play either at the bottom of the pyramid, or at an intermediate level that would be agreed with the administrators of that level. Not sure how Wasps could show they should be at level 5 for example without having a squad of players that had played some matches so their strength could be assessed.
The option to re-integrate with the Amateur side seems to be a none starter given the Wasps FC AGM report given on the DWs site.
Technically I don't think its too late to play at level 10, plenty of clubs at the level will be wondering if they can get 15 players together regularly enough but you would expect to have heard something by now, either officially or not.

I had a discussion about all this with some guys who know a lot better than me, at my local club.

Whatever is agreed between league admins and Wasps, the RFU have to approve it. It seems that, below a certain level, the RFU simply roll with it (whatever the admins of a league decide). Each league needs (wants, or is required to have) 12 clubs. Given the amateur status of all clubs (in these leagues), the major issue is getting a squad together for the following year of a good enough skill and ability level to compete. No one wants to promote a club that simply can't compete, and no one wants to relegate a club that would overwhelm the teams below them. The same can be said for a new team asking to join a league.

So, IF Wasps has already got a decent squad together, the admins of Level 10 would likely say NO, play in a higher league. Wasps can only join if there is space in any given league. Clubs sadly, fold every year, for all sorts of reasons. Lack of players, lost their pitch, finances, mergers, etc.

By now the leagues and dropouts will be known. Those leagues will be looking to fill spaces, or might accept growing a little.

Those who I discussed this with suggested that the RFU would simply say no if Wasps wanted 'in' too high. Most agreed no higher than tier 5 would likely be the RFU response.

I am making a Henley based assumption here. In the 2023 season local to them,

Level 10 is Counties 4 Midlands West (South) with 10 teams and 2 vacancies
Level 9 is Counties 3 Midlands West (South) with 11 teams and 1 vacancy
Level 8 is Counties 2 Midlands West (South) with 12 teams
Level 7 is Counties 1 Midlands West (South) with 12 teams
Level 6 is Regional 2 West Midlands with 12 teams
Level 5 is Regional 1 Midlands with 12 teams
Level 4 is National League 2 West with 14 teams

My local club is Stratford-upon-Avon, who are at level 6 (above). The guys there say it is quite a step up to Level 5, and for now they are happy at Level 6, but they are working towards trying for promotion in the next couple of years. Nobody has heard of any club dropping out for next season in these leagues. Based on watching Strattie play this year, it would take very little for Wasps to compete at that level.

If you look at every league, it appears that some have, or have had, 13 or 14 teams.

For example, the local Level 4 league had 14 clubs last season.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2023, 04:19:22 PM »
Agree with most of that Nelly, & it fits with what I understand about grass roots rugby, hence my comment that I dont think its technically too late.
However, pulling together a squad of players when you have no idea at what level you will be playing is virtually impossible. Unless there is some dialogue with whichever local RFU they would be part of & they have given them a provisional place based on being able to recruit a certain level of team, I can't see how it would happen.
For me such discussions would have been leaked by now.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2023, 06:57:09 PM »
Of course, it should be observed that BCFC have taken a 12 month lease on Henley.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2023, 07:21:15 PM »
Does somebody know that the RFU/PRL/CVC are planning a two league system from 2024 with some invited "franchise" clubs? With an invite already in the post.