Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps going the extra mile  (Read 1401 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wasps going the extra mile
« on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »
I know a few people, like me, have stories about when someone from the club, be it player, coach, or management went the extra mile, and I thought it would be really nice to share them.

Those of you who have been hanging around DW for 3-4 years will probably already know this, so please forgive me.

When my youngest son was about to turn 2 he was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer that ate away part of his skull and pelvis.  The diagnosis took a long time due to the rarity of the condition, and after he was diagnosed he went through several operations and 15 months of chemotherapy.  Eventually he beat it and was given the all clear.

I'd never made a secret of it, and had used DW to help raise funds when I did stupid things in return for sponsorship and so many people online knew the situation.

On the day he was officialy given the all clear I posted online letting the people who had been following the situation know, and thanking everyone for the support they had given.  That afternoon I had a phone call on my mobile from Derek Richardson.  He told me how pleased he was as he'd been following the story too, and after we'd chatted for some timeabout the clunb, our favourite matches, what I thought of the Ricoh and other things he invited me to bring my whole family along to a game and then to meet the players afterwards.

He was as good as his word, and his PA arranged everything.  We got to meet the whole squad, and I was lucky enough to be able to meet Derek in person and thank him for both his generosity to me and my family, but also for saving the club. 

I'd been a committed Wasps fan for years before that, but the club, and him as a person have a dedicated fan for life now.

How about you?  Has the club managed to touch your life in a way that you had no reason to expect?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here