Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Umaga  (Read 8976 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Umaga
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
One advantage of selecting him in a match day 23  is that he can fill a number of places in the backline.

I think the only time I've seen him play for Wasps (the old Anglo-Welsh Cup) he played flyhalf and was superb

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 12:13:15 PM »
Surely players have to be realistic (easy for me to say) about the need for fresh talent to be brought in to sustain the club, there is no end of calls for Umaga to be included. The game time Jacob is getting is paying dividends and he is staking a claim for a place, as does Porter when he gets a sniff of a chance. One of the reasons we have DoRs is to make those hard decisions and have those difficult conversations, which are in the best interests of the club, SH is the case in point. I think Dai has made a decision on a natural understudy to Dan Robson, that of course won't be palatable for the current incumbent(s) but it is in the best interest of the team, the squad and the club.
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
Would a young player (under 20 as an example) who has ability and significant potential realise that potential sooner if they play 5 or 6 games for Wasps in the premiership, or by playing ~20 games in the championship?

Let's use Umaga as an example. We currently have WlR in the squad.
I think everyone would choose WlR when we're up against Exeter and Saracens - if nothing else, it would be unfair on Jacob to through him in against those teams when the rest of the team is likely to struggle as well.
We then have the other teams around us battling for Top4/6. If WlR is available, how many of you feel that our chances of winning are improved by putting Willie on the bench and starting Umaga against Gloucester, Quins, Sale, Tigers, Bath?
Maybe he starts on the bench and gets 20 minutes in a couple of those games.

We then have fixtures against the teams at the bottom (I don't want to call them weak teams, because they've beaten us already in some cases), Bristol, Warriors, Newcastle.
Let's say we start Umaga in those games home and away and all goes ok.

That's 6 starts and maybe a couple of bench appearances, whereas he's likely to get 20+ starts in the Championship.
If he's enjoying it at Carnegie, then it probably helps him realise his potential by playing more often and experiencing a wider variety of opposition.
For the same reason, the loan spell in NZ was also hopefully a great experience to help him become the player that we all hope he will be.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 01:17:28 PM »
Miller sadly is nowhere near the player he was a couple of seasons ago. Umaga is the future, let's give him a go.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »
He is a fresher talent. The older guys might realise that is a threat to them but it’s up to them to do something about it. If you’re Dai the conversation is easy, “you both know our systems, I’m picking the bloke that’s going to do the best job for the jersey, you need to show me in training”. Equal playing field.
Not sure about Millers form, but currently Umaga looks like he should be back in the fold full time for next season with a few pats on the back and a “let’s see what you can do” in his ear. 

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »

I agree that it's about having the best players on the pitch.
If, come next season, Umaga is the best full back in the club, then I would definitely think he should be starting.

However, I haven't written Miller off yet. He is featuring so sporadically for the team that he's not having an opportunity to build any momentum.
Most players perform below their best level when they don't get a run of games.

If we don't replace WlR and Miller became first choice again, I expect to see his form curve upwards pretty quickly.

As for Umaga, if by next season he is genuinely a better option than Miller every day, then he should be first choice.
If it's still a case of him having the potential to be better, then Miller remains first choice.

Your matchday 23 should generally be the best players in their positions come matchday.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 02:28:40 PM »
I'm with Wasps..in the championship he can develop his craft, 20 mins off the bench here and there isn't really going to give him much.

I expect there is a plan, I understand he wasn't a cheap an acquisition as is typical.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
Agree he needs to develop game time experience which with Carnegie is better than our A Team.

I really really hope there IS a plan with him (and some of the others).
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 06:32:52 PM »
Agree he needs to develop game time experience which with Carnegie is better than our A Team.

I really really hope there IS a plan with him (and some of the others).

So long as he is 100% sure there is a plan and a future, then playing Championship is ideal, just to get game time. And vitally, for me, getting game time at full back which I believe is a good grounding for any back, and especially one who could do 10/12 or 15 in the future.

I'd hope he would be full squad member for next season - once we know what our options look like of course. But Jacob looks like the sort of 15 you'd really want to encourage. Shame he won't get to play with Christian, that would have scared defences! Still with Owain James and Callum Sirker to link up with, hopefully we can look forwards to some good times. Assuming, of course, we have a plan for them too.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 06:44:10 PM »
With no rumours of us looking to replace WLR, i'm hoping that Dai has a plan, as long as Jacob is up to snuff, the coaches are closer than us keyboard warriors after all.

Daly is no FB, no more evident than this season with his unwillingness to take a tackle, so with him presumably gone, that leaves only Miller.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »
Doesn't Owain James also play FB?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 07:07:39 PM »
With no rumours of us looking to replace WLR, i'm hoping that Dai has a plan, as long as Jacob is up to snuff, the coaches are closer than us keyboard warriors after all.

Daly is no FB, no more evident than this season with his unwillingness to take a tackle, so with him presumably gone, that leaves only Miller.
The reluctance with ED in the taking and the making of tackles is probably due to the fact his alleged move pivots on him being fit? But I do agree he is not a 15.

Jacob needs a mentor, perhaps some appearances at the back end of the season as understudy to WLR would be a consideration but I do get that game time with Carnegie is important.
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »
I agree, just training with WLR and having his ear, a bit like Smith with Young & Haskell, would be worth a lot.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »
The full cup game he played in this past weekend is available. A few very nice touches, but equally a few not so nice ones, he was good, but I'd not necessarily be eager for him to be our first choice 15 immediately.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
Thats the thing isn't it, there are mass callings for using him at 15 as with other academy products based on no actual knowledge or insight as to how they are going over the full 80.

Dai getting lambasted when for not dropping guys straight into the team from the academy.

When they're ready, they're ready.