Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 7872 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »
Campo off to Quins. Naholo off to Irish. Veainu rumour as on DW a straight lift from his tweets.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:26 AM »
Campo off to Quins. Naholo off to Irish. Veainu rumour as on DW a straight lift from his tweets.

Rumours or confirmed?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
Reading again they are rumours but the Campo one looks sound as Quins have said theu8are announcing a number on Tuesday.  The Naholo one is just further confirmation of the rumours. In an article saying O'Brien on £360k per annum. Veainu is just the rubbish we saw on DW.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:04:17 AM »
Shame about Campo if it turns out to be true, but not a massive surprise.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:09:32 AM »
Shame about Campo if true.

Also in the Wales game player ratings, Thomas Young was their highest rated Welsh player. Just hope Gats gives him a chance again, and they find a way of keeping him at Wasps.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
I like Campo although I guess he was a temporary signing for this season only and with Fekitoa coming in and JdJ re-signing possibly would be a bit of a luxury? I think he'd make a great replacement to either of our centres next season but maybe he is too expensive?

We certainly do need some sort of cover for Centre as Le Booj, Neal and Gopps won't be enough on their own.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
Last year we had four top international quality options in 12/13 slots:
Jimmy/Daly/JdJ/Eastmond

Next year, if Campo goes
Fekitoa/Jimmy/JdJ

Yes, I know we have Booj et al, in the same way we had Gaby, but they are not in that top class. Unless there is a Lozowski type up and coming ready to make the step up, that looks light if we are to match our other top four competitors if Campo goes. Teams don't win titles with just three centre options of international quality covering two positions. I would not be surprised if he goes, being temporary, but I would expect us to make a signing that could cover centre.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:07:41 PM by westwaleswasp »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »
Jimmy/Daly/JdJ/Eastmond

Next year, if Campo goes
Fekitoa/Jimmy/JdJ

Yes, I know we have Booj et al, in the same way we had Gaby, but they are not in that top class. Unless there is a Lozowski type up and coming ready to make the step up, that looks light if we are to match our other top four competitors if Campo goes. Teams don't win titles with just three centre options of international quality covering two positions. I would not be surprised if he goes, being temporary, but I would expect us to make a signing that could cover centre.

Have we actually ever seen Ross Neal start at centre yet?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »
Jimmy/Daly/JdJ/Eastmond

Next year, if Campo goes
Fekitoa/Jimmy/JdJ

Have we actually ever seen Ross Neal start at centre yet?

Don't think so unless in one of the pre-season games.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »

I agree with the main premise of West Wales Wasps post, however don't sarries have just 3 front line centres, one of which covers fly half?

Barritt, Bosch and Loz

After that it's squad depth like we have, but it usually works ok for them because they're strong all over on the pitch

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
Good point, but they can play Farrell in the centre too, and then use Mallins or even Goode  to play ten.
They are probably signing another Lion centre now for less money having read your post ;)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »
Should also add that Neale might be very good, but the fact is we have not seen him, so we can assume Dai's judgement is that he is not in the JdJ/Daly class.

We need players like that, it is just that to me I would expect a wing/13 type signing if Campo is off....

Jac A

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 01:29:05 PM »

I agree with the main premise of West Wales Wasps post, however don't sarries have just 3 front line centres, one of which covers fly half?

Barritt, Bosch and Loz

They've also got Nick Tompkins who has been getting a fair bit of game time this year and is certainly ahead of Bosch, plus Duncan Taylor if he is ever fit again.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »
Bosch is retiring at the end of the season.. along with Strettle I think

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »
Booj and Neal may be getting as much conditioning in their first season as other championship players have done. Both would be even more formidable with a bit more targeted bulk, sprint training and more familiarity with the systems.