Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai in CET - Centre, Wing and FB  (Read 4889 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Dai in CET - Centre, Wing and FB
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-transfer-rumours-dai-young-15816756

Reading this it feels like Campo is off, as are Watson and Gaby. Naholo may be on. Looking to recruit EQP and then from NZ.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:16:18 AM by RBB »
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Dai in CET - Centre, Wing and FB
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
Campo is rumoured to Quins. I would agree on the other observations. In addition to wing and FB, we are light at 10 and 12. Being key positions, I think we need really depth in those two positions, maybe four choices each. They are our playmakers, and we need real depth and knowledge of the Wasps playsheet there. We really have not had that this year. And boy are we suffering for it. Even if Jimmy had been fit, we still lacked the depth we needed. If we DO buy in from NZ, that will cost, and so we will need to balance that with less expensive players, so I see not just the three obvious academy promotions (Umaga, Willis and Porter) but maybe five or six of them coming up (like Sirker, Anderson, Spink, Simonds and James). Despite his age, I would also consider Barbeary (unless he is off to uni).

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:39:18 AM »
Though not part of the subject of this article we haven't yet replaced Danny Wilson either. I think we really need to freshen up the coaches department.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
I would hope and suspect we are on our way to an improved coaching setup but it is being kept quiet to avoid another Wilson scenario. Fingers crossed etc etc.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »
Agree with all of the above, I suspect Jimmy may cover 10, 12 and 15 if required next season and perhaps the remainder of this season when fully fit. I also think Dai knows Miller is not a first pick, so needs a tier 1 FB with Miller and Umaga as back up.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:53 AM »
V much as expected.
Good to hear.

The thing is we got stung with Kurtley and Willie by call ups.
In both cases at times whilst they were here they were world XV starting quality, something that even Daly, Fekitoa, Joe L and our other stars probably aren't often at.  So you can't win, get them and they excel, and they get picked. I guess the ideal is to get them at a level below, like Ashley, or to go to the All Black exiles.
I am still glad we had Kurtley in particular, but the idea of having a player of his quality at the peak of his powers for a whole year with no call ups, well it just does not happen at club level.

Jac A

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »
I know that it doesn't give us any idea on targets but I'm quite pleased with this as a statement of the positions we are recruiting for.

I'd agree that Gaby is probably off but I think we may keep Watson as Dai says he is looking to replace Wade. In the centre, Max Clark would be ok but if I were Dai and either Worcester or Newcastle went down I'd be round Ryan Mills or Johnny Williams' house with a van load of cash and a winning smile.

If we are going to spend up to the cap again, then we have the salaries of Wade, Hughes, Daly and Gaby (assuming Fekiotoa = WLR) which is a fair bit to get top drawer players.

It looks as if there won't be anymore forwards coming in which is ok, but I think we're a bit light in depth at tighthead and I know a lot of people would love a powerful lock.

It terms of youngsters coming up I'd agree on Willis, Umaga and Porter but I think Owain James is at a point now where he is either deemed good enough to get a first team contract or he'd be looking elsewhere, Oghre is similar but we have good depth at hooker. I'd be very surprised to see Anderson, Spink, Simmond or Sirker step up next year but I'd be interested to see if certainly Simmonds and Spink get some U20 recognition next season.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »
It’ll be interesting to see which players decide to retire from international duty after the WC. Kurtley could very easily become available again come November/December, and for a fair few seasons too. He definitely has some unfinished business.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:18:35 PM by AKWasp »

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 12:31:02 PM »
KB's contract is up after the World Cup I believe, I would really hope that he looks to come back to Wasps or we agreed some sort of first refusal given Cheika's intervention cut his stay with us short. I happened to re-watch the infamous WLR drop vs Leinster, I was explaining the importance of not show-boating to my youngest rugby playing son. KB's play and running in the build up to set it up for WLR on a plate was something to behold, we saw that so many times for Wasps (the KB play that is not WLR's drop ;-) ) With regard Watson, his fitness is the issue for me, he just appears so lightweight, a knock rules him out for weeks at a time. Wade was (still is) a resilient character and even when battered by oppositions, still bounced back time and time again. We need guile coupled with resilience on the wing, Watson lacks both IMO. Neal is great as battering ram cover but lacks the finesse and fleet of foot that top wingers have. Naholo has that and given that he has drifted away from a first or even second pick with the ABs, then I would like to think we can beat Irish to him. The fact Dai says we are looking at a winger means the deal isn't done ref: Naholo going to Irish and regardless of Fissler's views, which aren't always correct. FB and Wing are the massive gaps for me, but a little bit of forward cover would be helpful as well.

Jac A

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »
With regard Watson, his fitness is the issue for me, he just appears so lightweight, a knock rules him out for weeks at a time. Wade was (still is) a resilient character and even when battered by oppositions, still bounced back time and time again. We need guile coupled with resilience on the wing, Watson lacks both IMO.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered before. I think he could be a very decent player for us if he could get his confidence up and get a run of games under his belt, he got good pace, a step and is actually ok under a high ball. But he does seem to be injured a lot!

If we signed Beale and Naholo I'd be very happy but I can't see it. That said I can't think of any top FBs from NZ who will be available post RWC, Smith is off to Pau, Dagg to Japan, Surely McKenzie, Bridge, Barrett J and Alaimalo will stay in Super Rugby to play international rugby, maybe Havili might think he's not going to get many caps? As for English FBs - can't see Watson, Brown or Goode going anywhere.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:55 PM »
I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Miller and Umaga covering 15 next season.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »
The Rob Miller of 3 years ago was excellent. Sadly, living in the shadow of WLR, his game is way below what it used to be.

We definitely need a quality FB coming in, with Jacob to shadow him.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
In addition to wing and FB, we are light at 10 and 12. Being key positions, I think we need really depth in those two positions, maybe four choices each.

Its ok saying that but what quality are you going to have thats happy to be third or forth choice, your describing unicorns.

I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Miller and Umaga covering 15 next season.

I'd dread this setup. People seem to have got hung up on the rare decent performances from Miller in yesteryear, when given his chance in the recent past, he hasn't taken it.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »
Me too, Miller is a back up player now, we need a world class FB and then make Umaga/Miller the understudies.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
Agree on Miller of old. You would hope he could get back the flair. Like many he needs game time but unlikely to get it.
Think Beale back is wishful thinking. People have seen what he can do so he probably would be above our price range. Irish seem to be building well and seem confident on Naholo but still hope. O'Brien a good signing if he stays fit. You have to hope that last year's Championship signees have bulked up and step up next season leaving places for Academy step ups. I also wonder if Umagas down under trip was also used to identify potential signings.
Let me tell you something cucumber