Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Tuilagi to Racing Confirmed  (Read 9407 times)

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Tuilagi to Racing Confirmed
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 12:12:38 PM »
The England payments are if he's fit and selected. the Racing money is guaranteed whether fit or not...

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »
So it might just be his agent (using the deep pockets of Racing as a lever) trying to get the maximum out of tiggers. That's a dangerous game to play given how little he's played for them.. they might not be willing to give him anything like what he was on before (especially now that he's back with England).. and before he knows it its April/May and everyone in the rugby community knows he hasn't got a contract in his pocket, at which point his negotiating hand is severely hampered.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
The England payments are if he's fit and selected. the Racing money is guaranteed whether fit or not...

True.  But he’ll get flogged in France and, in theory, looked after a little better in England.  Interesting time to go too when a good number players who moved to France have quickly come back (TV2 didn’t settle and came back, Ashton despite being breaking the league scoring record, Rhys Webb keen to return, Savea struggling, Fekitoa not been enjoying it, The Rugby Pod talking about Duane Vermulen not enjoying life at Toulon last season).

Especially with a young Family to consider, you’d think he may be a little more risk adverse to a move.  But, as has been said it could just be posturing.

On the money front, I think there’s also a tax-free payment post retirement for Sports Players who have played a number of years in France? - I can’t remember what it’s called.  So there’s an added bonus there potentially, I guess.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »

True.  But he’ll get flogged in France and, in theory, looked after a little better in England.  Interesting time to go too when a good number players who moved to France have quickly come back (TV2 didn’t settle and came back, Ashton despite being breaking the league scoring record, Rhys Webb keen to return, Savea struggling, Fekitoa not been enjoying it, The Rugby Pod talking about Duane Vermulen not enjoying life at Toulon last season).

Especially with a young Family to consider, you’d think he may be a little more risk adverse to a move.  But, as has been said it could just be posturing.

On the money front, I think there’s also a tax-free payment post retirement for Sports Players who have played a number of years in France? - I can’t remember what it’s called.  So there’s an added bonus there potentially, I guess.

True, but there is a common factor in most of this - RC Toulonnais!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
It was fine when I left it.....

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 04:38:32 PM »
Manu is staying at Tigers -  https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12552/11664093/manu-tuilagi-commits-his-future-to-leicester-despite-contract-offer-from-racing

I admit I am pleased to see this - more for England's benefit - but also that Manu has shown loyalty to his club, particularly after the past few years.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »
Manu is staying at Tigers -  https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12552/11664093/manu-tuilagi-commits-his-future-to-leicester-despite-contract-offer-from-racing

I admit I am pleased to see this - more for England's benefit - but also that Manu has shown loyalty to his club, particularly after the past few years.

No loyalty, staying is a better deal all round, I'd suggest he never intended to  go to France, more like a ruse to get Tigers to pay the whopping 600k he's now on.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 05:33:33 PM »
Yup. It looks like Manu's agent has earned his corn on this deal.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 05:44:58 PM »
Is it just rumour that he's on £600k?

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

No loyalty, staying is a better deal all round, I'd suggest he never intended to  go to France, more like a ruse to get Tigers to pay the whopping 600k he's now on.
I can certainly see your point and my cynical side definitely agrees. Maybe I am being naive about it

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 07:38:43 PM »
I am glad he’s staying, Fissler eating humble pie and for doing this, see pic.
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »
Is it just rumour that he's on £600k?

His current deal is 450k, Tigers have offered a 25% increase, meaning its not quite but pretty close.

Its a gamble..but he can be good..time will tell if its a good or bad gamble.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
All in all, as long as he plays well for England and represents us well, he can be paid whatever he likes by Tigers

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »
For me it is too much money for what he offers. I am glad he stays in England and glad there are still some one club men out there.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 07:35:07 AM »
For me it is too much money for what he offers. I am glad he stays in England and glad there are still some one club men out there.

I have to agree and glad you said it before me. I think £600k is too much (considering he's worked his way back into the England setup.. or perhaps its £600k pro-rata taking into account time he will be away with England, which would be offset by income from playing for England), but its tiggers money to spend.

I never thought he'd move. He has a young family I think and he doesn't strike me as the type of character that would settle into the parisienne lifestyle.

Would he become the "home" marquee player? Do the rules allow him to be? If not, that's a huge chunk out of their salary cap
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:37:09 AM by BG »