Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What's changed?  (Read 8226 times)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What's changed?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 06:31:47 AM »
I really do think people are a little deluded seeing Jimmy’s return as the second coming.
Playing devils advocate as I love Jimmy, but coming back from a tough injury at 35 will be tough anyway yet people seem to forget how much criticism he used to get for not being attacking enough when playing at 10.
When he moved to 12 outside Cips and he had that stellar season with all the awards, is when he became a wasps ‘legend’

Do people really think Jimmy at 12 is going to change the issues we have had with the backs this season????
Maybe you're right, but it's hardly a bad thing one of your most influential players are due to come back from injury (as I'm sure you'll agree).

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 07:43:43 AM »
It was interesting to note the comments made in studio commentary (the 'pundits') for the Ireland v France game. They were discussing how critical it was for the 9 - 10 axis to the way the whole (Irish) team is playing. A change requires the whole team to alter their game to suit the new player at either of these positions.

My feeling is that this is the crucial issue at Wasps. Good that Dobby is, we have seen enough games this year to know that he is not in charge of pulling those strings. We don't like to admit that he who shall not be named DID pull those strings. But he DID. And we don't have a 10 that does (or at least haven't been this year).

Jimmy and that other guy were a team that ran our attack. With neither getting international call ups, they were there most of the time. I do not see evidence of that alliance being replaced. Jimmy on his own can't do it, but we should not, but have been, reliant on two players to run our game. I know that Dai bangs on about depth in the front row, but where we need consistent depth of game leadership and vision is at 9/10/12. One might argue we should have a group of 8 or 9 players who are as one in their methodology in their application of this on field triumvirate.

So, who DO we have there?

9: Robson. Leadership Capable. Simpson and Hampson leaving.
10: Sopoaga. Potentially Leadership Capable, but not showing it yet. Miller. Solid, reliable, but not a leader. Umaga. Untested. Dai has left him on the bench.
12: Jimmy. The leader, but surely not for many more years? de Jongh. A very capable defender and runner, but not a leader. Le Bourgeois, capable runner, so not so good in defence, not a leader.

We have Vellacott coming in. I do not know him well enough to comment, but looking at the above, I do not see a solid, capable team. Seems to me that this is what has changed. We have gone from Robson/Cipriani/Gopperth, which itself was a moderately successful team of 3, but one that lacked depth (what happens when one is broken?), to a squad that lacks such leadership.

I see nothing in the squad for next year to change this. Can coaching and training teach old dogs new tricks? Not with our current coaches. If new coaches are to arrive after the RWC, then that too will be too late.

Am I wrong, or right? If I am right, does Dai, and his coaches, not see the same? And if they see the same, why is nothing changing?

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »
I believe you are right.

We seem to lack both people leading the charge, and ones who can "think clearly under pressure". Too rushed when patience is needed, unable to take the sensible/pragmatic decisions and going into flap mode, as at the end of the Newcastle game.

I should think that was suddenly bereft of the likes of Gopperth, Cipriani, Robson (too much of the time), Eastmond (on his good days) and Wade would suddenly be blunted. However, with some clear thinking and leadership, whilst not being as exciting as the past couple of years, I think a few of this year's losses would have been wins and we might have been competing for top 4 with a sense of optimism that new recruits coming through would be more settled next year and things would improve.

I don't hold with the idea that it is (a lot) down to championship level players, the ones we took on this year seem to have done pretty well considering they might not have been expected to take up the reins so early on. Coaching is probably a major part of it, people would probably be focused to make better decisions if the alternative was a spot of post match one-on-one with a Mr. Edwards type person.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
I think it is also our inability to learn from mistakes that frustrates me too. Dai has said many times our discipline lets us down, which it does, but I have yet to see a game where significant improvement has been made, culminating in a result like Saturday.
I was totally dumbstruck how Will could've given the penalty away in such a fatal position.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
I was totally dumbstruck how Will could've given the penalty away in such a fatal position.

You are not alone in this. Really couldn't believe my eyes. Mind you we should never have been in that part of the pitch. Fatal.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »

You are not alone in this. Really couldn't believe my eyes. Mind you we should never have been in that part of the pitch. Fatal.
Totally agree with you

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
The decision to perform a Keystone Cops tribute rather then see out the game got us to that position, then defeat was sadly inevitable.

A bit more patience at times in the first half and we could have been out of site by then.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
The decision to perform a Keystone Cops tribute rather then see out the game got us to that position, then defeat was sadly inevitable.

A bit more patience at times in the first half and we could have been out of site by then.

Just think if Marcus Watson's foot had been just that little better placed...

Jac A

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »
I’ve been avoiding the internet following our two latest defeats but have been giving some though to what has changed and it’s a surprisingly quiet Monday morning at work. So, many apologies for the essay that follows (please feel free to stop reading here or after the next paragraph if you just want the precis!).

The jist of this is that in my opinion the playing systems we had and were able to execute better than anyone else are no longer working mostly due to player changes and absences. I’m going to look at the last four years and how we built a style and then lost it. I will of course stick my £5 in the site donations for mentioning Cipriani as I think that is inevitable!

Playing systems. Every team has a style and a system, some are obvious and noticeable and I think the more successful a team is, the more obvious their style is. In the Premiership think Exeter retaining a higher percentage of their ball and backing having a near perfect ruck success rate to wear down a defence and then use their power game from short range or Sarries having an intelligent kicking game, either kicking to compete with both their forwards and back three players good in the air or kicking for territory and suffocating the other team on their 10m line.

As Dai tried to build the team, between the last gasp rescue from relegation to the arrival of ‘superstars’ in the 15/16 season we had a powerful, hardworking and dynamic backrow (Hask, Ash, Sam Jones, Billy/Nathan), a super quick 9, a metronomic 10, some midfield class (Masi, Daly) and in Wade and Varndell two top, quick wingers who knew how to score as well as anyone in the league. In 2015/16, Smith and Piatau added that ‘X factor’ that made us a lot more competitive, we were often our best on the rare days that Jackson clicked at 10 and provided a bit of sparkle but he was too inconsistent and Jimmy’s reliability proved the better match. The next year, Cips was able to elevate the team and with more consistent creativity at 10 and I think that despite our frailties we were the best team in the league. The next year we suffered as we lost key players (Taylor and Symons out for the year, Hask and Nathan out for much of it) and had a period with a huge chuck of the squad missing that cost us. However throughout all of this, we lacked three basic things and we have never been able to get a handle on them – Composure, Discipline and Game Management.

So the negatives. The above three have cost us from achieving success and are still very much in evidence. Before the Newcastle game, I sure we remember at Bristol we held a precarious lead and tried to play the clock down with three minutes to go, what happened? Rowlands infringed and we had a nervy lineout to defend that we just about managed to. But this has always been happening. I’m sure there still a little bitterness about the Connaught game where Gaüzère allowed them to take a lineout after the clock had one red before the rule change but the reason for that was that we tried to run down the clock too early and someone missed their clear-out and Guy was pinged for holding on – line out, try, dropped points, we end up in Dublin and going out in the quarters. Again the Prem final that year – we may thing that Nathan had every right to go for the ball but he didn’t listen – we didn’t back ourselves, tried to force it and paid the price. Every time I’ve watched a game on BT and Dai has been spoken to he has bemoaned our lack of composure and management but in all these years he and the other coaches haven’t been able to impose that discipline on the team in the way that the likes of Baxter, Sanderson, Gustard etc have.

How did we win so many games then? For me, there were three key elements.
(1)   COUNTER-ATTACKING. When George Smith arrived we found ourselves able to compete at the breakdown far more and far more efficiently than we were before. Smith helped Thomas Young who came on hugely that year and Guy Thompson as well as Hask and laying the work for Jack Willis. We competed at the breakdown not by pushing the ball into the player and winning the penalty but more often than not, going for the rip and getting it into the back as soon as possible. Getting the ball back to Piatau and then in subsequent seasons to Beale/le Roux and even Miller when he was in the form of his life we had world class options to run the ball back at a broken field where the opposition hadn’t got their defence set. All of those players were ‘heads up‘ players who would run more than kick and with the like of Daly, Wade and Bassett we had the pace to exploit this. As a team we were one of the best in the league at the breakdown, Smith, Young, Willis, Thompson, Hughes (I think people forget how good he used to be a winning turnovers), Launchbury, Taylor and JCW – all very good – and then we were easily the most dangerous team on the counter and this accounted for a lot of territory and tries.

(2)   FIRST PHASE SET PLAYS. This improved in the 2016/17 season with the arrival of Cips. Say what you like but I think he is one of the very best at first phase play. He plays flat and is an excellent communicator. Whenever I watch him play he always seems to be talking, getting the back line in the right positions, calling the plays and when play stops telling people where they should have been and what they should have done. He is always demanding. It’s the same with Farrell, Sexton, most top 10s. Add his vision to that and the fact that our back line had similar players with good communication and vision (Gopperth and Beale/le Roux) and we had something special. Look back at our tries in the two years prior to this and you’ll see a lot of first phase tries. A perfect example would be Daly’s try against Leicester last year: (ignore the dodgy lineout throw) ball of the top from the 10m line, crisp hand, great dummy runs and loops, Daly has an overlap and the ball in his hands 30m out, touch of the gas pedal and over the line. We did this a lot. Again, watching on BT, Healy would be purring at the way we played off set pieces and whatever you think about the bloke he knows good back play. The ‘heads up’ play off set pieces also worked for a quick change decision where we saw a mismatch – see Gopperth’s try against Saints in 2016 where we started from a scrum on our 5m line and Cips saw a gap on the blindside went for it, kick came off and Guy and Jimmy ran great support lines (more on that below). Obviously it wasn’t all about Danny, as I’ve said having two other playmakers was important as was having the threat that a player like Wade posed as he would always draw his marker and could run dummy lines that had to be covered.

(3)   SUPPORT LINES* The asterisk is because this isn’t a tactical plan, but it is a reason we scored so many tires. I think we have two of the best support line runners in the country in Dan Robson and Thomas Young. Armchair England fans were able to see on Saturday what we have grown used to, Dan ambling across the field on a great line to be the first at the breakdown to get quick ball back and most crucially, when the ball-carrier makes a line-break, a slight turn of the hips and he is on his shoulder to run either the blocking line or to take the pass or off-load and canter in – this is one of the reason he has one of the best strike rates of any 9. Thomas Young could have been a 9 too. He often looks like he plays like a 5 year old playing football, chasing the ball and always being where it maters (incidentally I was taught this is a hallmark of a good openside) it is one reason why he usually has a huge tackle count, is over the ball so much and also on a players shoulder when they make a break, add his genuine pace and you can see why he also has a great strike rate for a backrow. Guy and Taylor were good at running support lines too and Carr seems to be also. Every team will make line breaks but it is usually the presence of a good support runner that turns that into a try and that is an area we excelled. I also think (haven’t looked at data to back this up) that with the players we had – Nathan playing wider and running the 12/13 channel, Ash and Guy, Wade with his dancing feet – we made an above average number of line breaks.

So, what has changed? Well, let’s look at those areas:

(1)   This season we have won a lot less turnovers. Smith and Guy have gone, Willis has been out for the whole season up to the last couple of games, Taylor, Launch and JCW have missed a lot and even Thomas Young has been injured and away with Wales. That has meant a lot less quick turnover ball and when we have got it we haven’t counter attacked. At 15, both Daly and le Roux have kicked more this season than either did previously. Now one could blame them and suggest that they have been below par (I don’t think this would be unfair, I don’t think either has played as well as then can do) but they perhaps also lack faith in a back line that has had a ‘second string’ feel to it to be able to counter properly and therefore they have felt the kick has been the better percentage play. Either way, it turns the ball over to the opposition and means that we are no longer a counter attacking threat.

(2)   This isn’t me saying Sopoaga is rubbish, he’s clearly a decent player but I don’t think he has been the best fit for the way we played. This is partly down to him being a different player and also him coming into the side without a pre-season and chopping and changing at 9 and 12 which has maybe meant he has been unable to implant his style. However, there are a couple of clear differences I can see. First is that he plays deeper, this has meant that we are getting caught behind the gainline so many times. Secondly, he doesn’t communicate as much. He seems a much more reserved and less vocal 10. I think that when he was playing really well for the ‘Landers, he had the benefit of Aaron Smith at 9. Smith is a very vocal and controlling 9 and I think that with Smith calling more plays, Lima was able to play his game. We aren’t used to that and are used to our 10 making the calls and I don’t think that this suits Lima’s game as much. This is something that the coaches should have been able to deal with by now and clearly haven’t. Billy Searle has tried his best but he is still young. For those that read Cips recent interview, he says how Kinga told him that a 10 often plays best after 30 and I don’t think Billy has the experience or confidence to dictate plays in the way Cips did. Miller I think we can all forgive as he has done his best at 10 but this isn’t his day job.

(3)   We still do this to some extent but with the changed personnel (no Wade, Nathan away a lot, no Guy) we are making less linebreaks and Dan has missed more game this year than any other and Young and Taylor and have injuries etc so we are not as good at it.

What are we left with then? Not a lot sadly. I have read from people here and elsewhere that we lack a plan B but to be honest I can’t see a plan A. Normally when I watch rugby, even I can see what a team is trying to achieve with each set of phases. I can’t see that with Wasps at the moment. We seem to be trucking up one off runners or pods and waiting for the almost inevitable handling error or loss of discipline.

Whose fault is this? Well, the players have to take responsibility for their performances and while there have been some very good performances this season there are not a lot of players who can claim to be in credit for the season (Dan, Young, Neal, de Jong and the front row generally). Rowlands has got a lot of unnecessary criticism in my opinion but his ill-discipline has cost us a few times and that is the case with a lot of the forwards. Daly and le Roux have looked frustrated and ineffective, Simpson is not the player he was 3+ years ago, Hampson is not a Prem quality player, Bassett has looked ordinary a lot of the time, Booj and Gaby have had flashes but generally not impressed at 12, Watson has looked good at times and missing at others, The issues at 10 I’ve covered. Surely the coaches have to take some responsibility for the lack of clarity and direction. If the players can’t come up with a plan on the hoof then surely they need to have had some more input in training to try some different set plays, but we don’t see anything that creative on the pitch. Dai bemoans ill-discipline but it continues every game and has done for several years.

Is it all doom and gloom? I hope not. I am a generally positive person and I will remain hopeful and positive but much as thoughts and prayers don’t offer material help, neither will hope change our fortunes. I think that Top 6 is gone, we have a tough run in and even with Jimmy coming back I don’t think that is going to change us into world beaters. We won’t be relegated (he says) so we have nothing to play for the rest of the season. Without wanting to sound like a broken record on the DW site, let’s give the youngsters a chance. If Porter is fit again, let’s have him on the bench, Joe is off next year and Hampson offers little so let’s see what Porter can do with 15mins at the end of each game. Jacob should be playing, I’d start him next week to be fair, it doesn’t really matter if we lose by 8 or 80 so why not see what he’s learnt at Auckland and Carnegie. Tom West should be playing too, Harris has been a success but we know what he can do now and Tom Willis should be in the squad when he gets back from 6 Nations’ duty.

Anyways that’s enough. If you persevered to the end, thanks. COYW

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »
Much I agree with there.
I really wish we never try to the clock down from 3 mins out.
I would wager we have lost more games these past few years trying to run the clock down than we have trying pushing score at the end and giving it away.
I get the impression that Dai has concentrated at times during the era of Wade, Beale et al on reigning in the ambitious tendencies of the guys- "we have to be a bit more careful about where we play/play smarter", is a polite way of saying we were over ambitious.
I would say that message has got through a bit too much- we have been too conservative- Bristol was a classic case of clock management that probably should have gone badly wrong.
Running the clock down is something well drilled teams do pretty well, but even then it can bite them on the arse. The best way of making the game safe is to be on their line attacking on the 80 mins, not in our own half going backwards ruck after ruck. Last 30 seconds, fine, but anything beyond that "normal rugby"- rugby that has produced the winning position- will do fine.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »
I’ve been avoiding the internet following our two latest defeats but have been giving some though to what has changed and it’s a surprisingly quiet Monday morning at work. So, many apologies for the essay that follows (please feel free to stop reading here or after the next paragraph if you just want the precis!).

The jist of this is that in my opinion the playing systems we had and were able to execute better than anyone else are no longer working mostly due to player changes and absences. I’m going to look at the last four years and how we built a style and then lost it. I will of course stick my £5 in the site donations for mentioning Cipriani as I think that is inevitable!

Playing systems. Every team has a style and a system, some are obvious and noticeable and I think the more successful a team is, the more obvious their style is. In the Premiership think Exeter retaining a higher percentage of their ball and backing having a near perfect ruck success rate to wear down a defence and then use their power game from short range or Sarries having an intelligent kicking game, either kicking to compete with both their forwards and back three players good in the air or kicking for territory and suffocating the other team on their 10m line.

As Dai tried to build the team, between the last gasp rescue from relegation to the arrival of ‘superstars’ in the 15/16 season we had a powerful, hardworking and dynamic backrow (Hask, Ash, Sam Jones, Billy/Nathan), a super quick 9, a metronomic 10, some midfield class (Masi, Daly) and in Wade and Varndell two top, quick wingers who knew how to score as well as anyone in the league. In 2015/16, Smith and Piatau added that ‘X factor’ that made us a lot more competitive, we were often our best on the rare days that Jackson clicked at 10 and provided a bit of sparkle but he was too inconsistent and Jimmy’s reliability proved the better match. The next year, Cips was able to elevate the team and with more consistent creativity at 10 and I think that despite our frailties we were the best team in the league. The next year we suffered as we lost key players (Taylor and Symons out for the year, Hask and Nathan out for much of it) and had a period with a huge chuck of the squad missing that cost us. However throughout all of this, we lacked three basic things and we have never been able to get a handle on them – Composure, Discipline and Game Management.

So the negatives. The above three have cost us from achieving success and are still very much in evidence. Before the Newcastle game, I sure we remember at Bristol we held a precarious lead and tried to play the clock down with three minutes to go, what happened? Rowlands infringed and we had a nervy lineout to defend that we just about managed to. But this has always been happening. I’m sure there still a little bitterness about the Connaught game where Gaüzère allowed them to take a lineout after the clock had one red before the rule change but the reason for that was that we tried to run down the clock too early and someone missed their clear-out and Guy was pinged for holding on – line out, try, dropped points, we end up in Dublin and going out in the quarters. Again the Prem final that year – we may thing that Nathan had every right to go for the ball but he didn’t listen – we didn’t back ourselves, tried to force it and paid the price. Every time I’ve watched a game on BT and Dai has been spoken to he has bemoaned our lack of composure and management but in all these years he and the other coaches haven’t been able to impose that discipline on the team in the way that the likes of Baxter, Sanderson, Gustard etc have.

How did we win so many games then? For me, there were three key elements.
(1)   COUNTER-ATTACKING. When George Smith arrived we found ourselves able to compete at the breakdown far more and far more efficiently than we were before. Smith helped Thomas Young who came on hugely that year and Guy Thompson as well as Hask and laying the work for Jack Willis. We competed at the breakdown not by pushing the ball into the player and winning the penalty but more often than not, going for the rip and getting it into the back as soon as possible. Getting the ball back to Piatau and then in subsequent seasons to Beale/le Roux and even Miller when he was in the form of his life we had world class options to run the ball back at a broken field where the opposition hadn’t got their defence set. All of those players were ‘heads up‘ players who would run more than kick and with the like of Daly, Wade and Bassett we had the pace to exploit this. As a team we were one of the best in the league at the breakdown, Smith, Young, Willis, Thompson, Hughes (I think people forget how good he used to be a winning turnovers), Launchbury, Taylor and JCW – all very good – and then we were easily the most dangerous team on the counter and this accounted for a lot of territory and tries.

(2)   FIRST PHASE SET PLAYS. This improved in the 2016/17 season with the arrival of Cips. Say what you like but I think he is one of the very best at first phase play. He plays flat and is an excellent communicator. Whenever I watch him play he always seems to be talking, getting the back line in the right positions, calling the plays and when play stops telling people where they should have been and what they should have done. He is always demanding. It’s the same with Farrell, Sexton, most top 10s. Add his vision to that and the fact that our back line had similar players with good communication and vision (Gopperth and Beale/le Roux) and we had something special. Look back at our tries in the two years prior to this and you’ll see a lot of first phase tries. A perfect example would be Daly’s try against Leicester last year: (ignore the dodgy lineout throw) ball of the top from the 10m line, crisp hand, great dummy runs and loops, Daly has an overlap and the ball in his hands 30m out, touch of the gas pedal and over the line. We did this a lot. Again, watching on BT, Healy would be purring at the way we played off set pieces and whatever you think about the bloke he knows good back play. The ‘heads up’ play off set pieces also worked for a quick change decision where we saw a mismatch – see Gopperth’s try against Saints in 2016 where we started from a scrum on our 5m line and Cips saw a gap on the blindside went for it, kick came off and Guy and Jimmy ran great support lines (more on that below). Obviously it wasn’t all about Danny, as I’ve said having two other playmakers was important as was having the threat that a player like Wade posed as he would always draw his marker and could run dummy lines that had to be covered.

(3)   SUPPORT LINES* The asterisk is because this isn’t a tactical plan, but it is a reason we scored so many tires. I think we have two of the best support line runners in the country in Dan Robson and Thomas Young. Armchair England fans were able to see on Saturday what we have grown used to, Dan ambling across the field on a great line to be the first at the breakdown to get quick ball back and most crucially, when the ball-carrier makes a line-break, a slight turn of the hips and he is on his shoulder to run either the blocking line or to take the pass or off-load and canter in – this is one of the reason he has one of the best strike rates of any 9. Thomas Young could have been a 9 too. He often looks like he plays like a 5 year old playing football, chasing the ball and always being where it maters (incidentally I was taught this is a hallmark of a good openside) it is one reason why he usually has a huge tackle count, is over the ball so much and also on a players shoulder when they make a break, add his genuine pace and you can see why he also has a great strike rate for a backrow. Guy and Taylor were good at running support lines too and Carr seems to be also. Every team will make line breaks but it is usually the presence of a good support runner that turns that into a try and that is an area we excelled. I also think (haven’t looked at data to back this up) that with the players we had – Nathan playing wider and running the 12/13 channel, Ash and Guy, Wade with his dancing feet – we made an above average number of line breaks.

So, what has changed? Well, let’s look at those areas:

(1)   This season we have won a lot less turnovers. Smith and Guy have gone, Willis has been out for the whole season up to the last couple of games, Taylor, Launch and JCW have missed a lot and even Thomas Young has been injured and away with Wales. That has meant a lot less quick turnover ball and when we have got it we haven’t counter attacked. At 15, both Daly and le Roux have kicked more this season than either did previously. Now one could blame them and suggest that they have been below par (I don’t think this would be unfair, I don’t think either has played as well as then can do) but they perhaps also lack faith in a back line that has had a ‘second string’ feel to it to be able to counter properly and therefore they have felt the kick has been the better percentage play. Either way, it turns the ball over to the opposition and means that we are no longer a counter attacking threat.

(2)   This isn’t me saying Sopoaga is rubbish, he’s clearly a decent player but I don’t think he has been the best fit for the way we played. This is partly down to him being a different player and also him coming into the side without a pre-season and chopping and changing at 9 and 12 which has maybe meant he has been unable to implant his style. However, there are a couple of clear differences I can see. First is that he plays deeper, this has meant that we are getting caught behind the gainline so many times. Secondly, he doesn’t communicate as much. He seems a much more reserved and less vocal 10. I think that when he was playing really well for the ‘Landers, he had the benefit of Aaron Smith at 9. Smith is a very vocal and controlling 9 and I think that with Smith calling more plays, Lima was able to play his game. We aren’t used to that and are used to our 10 making the calls and I don’t think that this suits Lima’s game as much. This is something that the coaches should have been able to deal with by now and clearly haven’t. Billy Searle has tried his best but he is still young. For those that read Cips recent interview, he says how Kinga told him that a 10 often plays best after 30 and I don’t think Billy has the experience or confidence to dictate plays in the way Cips did. Miller I think we can all forgive as he has done his best at 10 but this isn’t his day job.

(3)   We still do this to some extent but with the changed personnel (no Wade, Nathan away a lot, no Guy) we are making less linebreaks and Dan has missed more game this year than any other and Young and Taylor and have injuries etc so we are not as good at it.

What are we left with then? Not a lot sadly. I have read from people here and elsewhere that we lack a plan B but to be honest I can’t see a plan A. Normally when I watch rugby, even I can see what a team is trying to achieve with each set of phases. I can’t see that with Wasps at the moment. We seem to be trucking up one off runners or pods and waiting for the almost inevitable handling error or loss of discipline.

Whose fault is this? Well, the players have to take responsibility for their performances and while there have been some very good performances this season there are not a lot of players who can claim to be in credit for the season (Dan, Young, Neal, de Jong and the front row generally). Rowlands has got a lot of unnecessary criticism in my opinion but his ill-discipline has cost us a few times and that is the case with a lot of the forwards. Daly and le Roux have looked frustrated and ineffective, Simpson is not the player he was 3+ years ago, Hampson is not a Prem quality player, Bassett has looked ordinary a lot of the time, Booj and Gaby have had flashes but generally not impressed at 12, Watson has looked good at times and missing at others, The issues at 10 I’ve covered. Surely the coaches have to take some responsibility for the lack of clarity and direction. If the players can’t come up with a plan on the hoof then surely they need to have had some more input in training to try some different set plays, but we don’t see anything that creative on the pitch. Dai bemoans ill-discipline but it continues every game and has done for several years.

Is it all doom and gloom? I hope not. I am a generally positive person and I will remain hopeful and positive but much as thoughts and prayers don’t offer material help, neither will hope change our fortunes. I think that Top 6 is gone, we have a tough run in and even with Jimmy coming back I don’t think that is going to change us into world beaters. We won’t be relegated (he says) so we have nothing to play for the rest of the season. Without wanting to sound like a broken record on the DW site, let’s give the youngsters a chance. If Porter is fit again, let’s have him on the bench, Joe is off next year and Hampson offers little so let’s see what Porter can do with 15mins at the end of each game. Jacob should be playing, I’d start him next week to be fair, it doesn’t really matter if we lose by 8 or 80 so why not see what he’s learnt at Auckland and Carnegie. Tom West should be playing too, Harris has been a success but we know what he can do now and Tom Willis should be in the squad when he gets back from 6 Nations’ duty.

Anyways that’s enough. If you persevered to the end, thanks. COYW

Very good comments made here and echo some of the sentiments I have!

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »
Jac A- spot on.

We’re in a transition and haven’t had the team or time to speed it up.

I think next season, with a longer preseason due to the World Cup and not missing many backs, will be a good opportunity to get our back line ticking again.

Our forwards have buy and large been okay. But agree that we’ve played too often without a proper 7. Willis returning may just solve that conundrum til the end of the season but next year we should be hoping that Willis and Young will wreak havoc for the opposition at the breakdown.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »
Excellent, Jac A. A most interesting analysis. I still believe that Danny Wilson's defection to Scotland late in the off season really left us badly adrift. He was intended to be an addition to the coaching team which would have taken a lot of weight off Dai and the others. As yet, he has not been replaced and we have been light in the coaching team all season. Good coaches are very hard to find and do not grow on trees. Many people have been impatient with most if not all of the coaches and want heads to roll. Hopefully, there will be an announcement in a few weeks time, telling us about the coaches for next season.  I am glad that we have appeared to have taken the time and hope we will get it right for the future.

As an aside we will never know now what Danny Wilson might have brought us but Scotland have not set the world alight this 6 nations.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Jac A

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Just to reply on a couple of points:

Danny Wilson - I agree with you here Ross. I think I'm on record somewhere of saying that I thought he would be our most important new arrival this year prior to him heading North. I have no idea of the workings of the club at training but I think that we have lacked a senior hands on coach in the mould Ali Hepher or Al Sanderson. Wilson also did a great job with Cardiff and you look at what he was able to do with the pack in terms of defense and winning turnovers. Considering how Navidi and Jenkins improved I'd have loved to have seen what he could do with Young and Willis. I think it would be harsh to judge his impact on Scotland when you look at the injuries they have had, especially in the backrow - missing Watson and Barclay. I suppose we will never know but I do think that it has had an impact.

Next year - I'm cautiously optimistic. I think a long pre-season will help us to develop a new system. We are also losing players who would have been missing for the world cup and in the case of Hughes and Daly the 6 Nations too which would be a decent chunk of the season. Hopefully Fekitoa will be able to link well again with Lima and we will be able to field a backrow of Willis, Young and Carr while the likes of Sarries, Leicester and Exeter are missing a sizeable number of players.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »
Jac A. don't forget Sione Vailanu. He's quite a unit. He presumably is a direct replacement for Nathan: he's 3 years younger and weighs a stone less but he is 4 inches shorter, so more compact. I know he didn't get much game time with the estate agents but I wouldn't hold that against him :)

I am really looking forward to seeing Matteo Minozzi play. He could be terrific. Hope he recovers fully from his nasty injury.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!