Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team's Up for Wuss - Lima and Elliot (13) start  (Read 5660 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Team's Up for Wuss - Lima and Elliot (13) start
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »

15 Willie Le Roux (51)

14 Marcus Watson (24)

13 Elliot Daly (189)

12 Gaby Lovobalavu (30)

11 Josh Bassett (100)

10 Lima Sopoaga (20)

9 Joe Simpson (252)

1 Zurabi Zhvania (19)

2 Tom Cruse (58)

3 Will Stuart (31)

4 Joe Launchbury (c) (136)

5 James Gaskell (105)

6 Brad Shields (10)

7 Nizaam Carr (32)

8 Nathan Hughes (120)

Replacements

16 Ashley Johnson (182)

17 Simon McIntyre (154)

18 Jake Cooper-Woolley (126)

19 Will Rowlands (71)

20 Ben Morris (16)

21 Craig Hampson (30)

22 Rob Miller (99)

23 Juan de Jongh (44)

All Black fly half Lima Sopoaga has recovered from injury to start for Wasps against Worcester Warriors in their crucial Round 18 Gallagher Premiership clash at Ricoh Arena on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Sopoaga is back after fracturing his hand against Sale Sharks in February. Elsewhere in the starting line-up, Elliot Daly steps in for Juan de Jongh in the centres with Josh Bassett back on the left flank.

In the front row Zurabi Zhvania gets the nod at loosehead prop next to Tom Cruse and Will Stuart while James Gaskell is in the second row with captain Joe Launchbury, who scored against Warriors on the opening day of the season.

An all-international back row comprises Brad Shields, Nizaam Carr and Nathan Hughes, while Sopoaga partners Joe Simpson in the half backs.

Daly will link up with Fijian Gaby Lovobalavu in the centres while Willie Le Roux, Marcus Watson and Bassett occupy the back three.

Rob Miller could make his 100th Wasps appearance from the bench while scrum half Craig Hampson is also back among the replacements.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “It is a big game for both teams and there are four big ones coming after it too. We’re getting to a point in the season where they are all pressure games. The pressure and what’s at stake will have an impact and hopefully a positive one. The players are used to playing under pressure whether it’s at the top or the bottom or trying to get in the top four or top six. We’re under no illusions of the task that’s at hand.

“We’re going to have to play some really good stuff as they’re a good team. It’s probably one of the best Worcester teams I’ve seen for a long time.”

“We owe our supporters a win at the Ricoh. We haven’t repaid that loyalty and faith but first and foremost we want to do it for ourselves.”
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Team's Up for Wuss - Lima and Elliot (13) start
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
Here's Wuss:

15 Chris Pennell
14 Tom Howe
13 Ben Te’o
12 Ryan Mills (C)
11 Josh Adams
10 Duncan Weir
9 Francois Hougaard

1 Callum Black
2 Niall Annett
3 Nick Schonert
4 Anton Bresler
5 Darren Barry
6 Ted Hill
7 Sam Lewis
8 Marco Mama

Replacements

16 Joe Taufete’e
17 Ethan Waller
18 Gareth Milasinovich
19 Andrew Kitchener
20 Cornell du Preez
21 Michael Heaney
22 Francois Venter
23 Scott van Breda

Looks pretty much full strength  :'( No Heem though.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
Well, I'm confused why JdJ isn't starting but assume he's not fully fit.

Not confident about a win, Warriors are much better at this kind of bottom of the table scrap than Wasps are...

Jac A

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
Hmm, the team is what it is. Shame Thomas Young isn't fit, and can't say I agree with not starting JdeJ.

But it is a certainly not a bad looking team. The pack is strong and there a very good front row sat on the bench.

I think from a full side Worcester are missing Singleton, Fatialofa and Heem but look a very strong side, with Tom Howe in good scoring form at the moment: I think I'd take our forwards but their backs.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 12:24:24 PM »
With Ash named as the hooker sub, Tom Cruse will probably be expected to go the full 80 and Ash will come into the back row.. Or TT's back is still giving him trouble. Thomas Young still struggling with hip pointer - we'll miss him. Jack still out  :'(

I expected JdeJ to start. Perhaps not 100%? Their back line looks pretty hot. Must make first up tackles count. Line speed, line speed and yet more line speed.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
I think that Wasps team and overall squad can beat Wuss on home soil, especially with a large and hopefully vocal attendance. I hope JdJ is being kept back to see how ED and Gaby do, and then come into the mix later if it isn't clicking - fingers crossed it is nothing more sinister. Glad to see Heem is out, he has made mugs of us in the past, Adams and Howe are a worry, it depends on which Te'o turns up.....as he can be a handful when he fires. I will be there, can't wait #coyw
It was fine when I left it.....

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 12:47:15 PM »
I think that Wasps team and overall squad can beat Wuss on home soil, especially with a large and hopefully vocal attendance. I hope JdJ is being kept back to see how ED and Gaby do, and then come into the mix later if it isn't clicking - fingers crossed it is nothing more sinister. Glad to see Heem is out, he has made mugs of us in the past, Adams and Howe are a worry, it depends on which Te'o turns up.....as he can be a handful when he fires. I will be there, can't wait #coyw

Wouldn't Ben cover the back row.

I like it when Ashley has 20 minutes, definitely makes an impact.

Sorry but i think its a shocking decision to play Gaby at 12 and not JDJ. Gaby can't pass, so that will leave ED and MW very frustrated getting slow poor ball.

I hope I'm wrong and Dai isn't 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
Wouldn't Ben cover the back row.

Yes, but it wouldn't hurt to have Ash as an additional option. We've done it quite a few times before.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
On paper we should be able to beat Worcester - especially up front.
However as we all know our quality on paper has not transformed to pitch quality this year at all.
Wonder if Gaby has got something over Dai!!!!
Also harsh on Miller who yet again is jettisoned as soon as a higher paid player returns.
Not saying he had been setting the world alight from 10, of course he hasn’t but at times like this it makes me so surprised he signed a new deal as this pattern has been happening for him for about four seasons now.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
Also there is an A League game on Monday which is why (I imagine) Neal, Sirker, Porter, Umaga etc have not been considered...

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
Like other posters - only Gaby is slight surprise  - though as a "proper" 12 I might have been tempted. I think that is a very powerful international standard backrow (I know they are all internationals!) and an extremely capable pack and bench.

Its a game we can and ought to win, we need to keep playing our own systems and if necessary make changes from the bench if its not working - we need a change.

Wuss's team has their dangerous backs there in the main, Pennell and Te'O and Adams don't need a second chance. My main hope is that we use some pitch and game management and don't get tempted into trying to be too adventurous too far away from their line. Lets use the confidence and skills we have to better effect inside their 10m line (in the main) and use Daly and WLR as second receiver more often.

To say I can't wait is a bit like saying I can't wait for the finish of a wisdom tooth removal....

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
Yep, Sopps starting, Miller on bench, exactly what I would have done and what I thought Dai would do  8). Also, please don't read my thoughts on the other thread, thanks!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »

Wuss's team has their dangerous backs there in the main, Pennell and Te'O and Adams don't need a second chance. My main hope is that we use some pitch and game management and don't get tempted into trying to be too adventurous too far away from their line. Lets use the confidence and skills we have to better effect inside their 10m line (in the main) and use Daly and WLR as second receiver more often.

Have we seen any of that this season??? Do we have any game plan at all?

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
I probably wouldn't have started Will Stuart, he's been a bit of a penalty machine recently so a bit worried about our scrum, like others surprised that JDJ isn't starting, also would have thought Ross Neal would have been on at least the bench as think he shows more go forward than some of those in the squad.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 02:01:33 PM »
Watching the full games on Prem TV we've been playing with a certain confidence for periods at the start of many games, but with a tendency to suddenly try something from the 70's BaaBaas rather than taking contact and having a mental breather. You could see that clearly vs Glaws and Tigers. Its not been endemic, no, but its happened too often. Another poster refers to WLR "trying too hard" (might be phrased differently)

I think the main game plan has been weakened by injuries meaning we've had too many players taking on too much responsibility too early in their Wasps career - MleB for example. I think we have aimed to play a mobile game and look to get the ball away from contact - but where this has been a struggle - the temptation has been to try a miracle pass or something, resulting in loss of position or possession.

In no way am I advocating playing conservatively, but sometimes just going through some phases OR doing what the ABs sometimes do which is play a couple of phases and kick long with an organised chase would be better than coughing up ball.

Only my view from watching a few games on play back. Others may disagree - I think we've looked good in terms of moral and wanting it and have played pretty well at times - until a trigger bad point which has tended to increase the tendency to "flap"