Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team's Up for Wuss - Lima and Elliot (13) start  (Read 5279 times)

southamwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team's Up for Wuss - Lima and Elliot (13) start
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 02:02:14 PM »
Wasps v Worcester Warriors (Ricoh Arena, 3pm)
Referee: Matthew Carley (83rd Premiership game)
Assistant referees: Andrew Jackson and Philip Watters
TMO: Trevor Fisher
Citing officer: Paul Hull
Read more at https://www.premiershiprugby.com/2018-2019/jp-doyle-to-oversee-the-clash-at-twickenham-stadium/#rY4T656GuSCwL4gJ.99

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 02:29:32 PM »
Gaby has had a poor season and get's a fair bit of knocking but in the last 2 games he's showed up better, IS creative and a solid defender (Teo/Mills)...I can see why he is being selected.

JdJ isn't half a good 12 as a 13.

Neal is wing cover only as his defence isn't up to snuff yet.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 02:41:00 PM »
When we played Gloucester at Castle Grim, our defence had them well contained in the first 20/25 minutes. Our line speed was good and we were ahead. Then, for some reason, our line speed dropped off and we went back to standing off tackles with the result that they came back into the game with a vengeance. Must keep up the 'in yer face' defence. Hopefully clatter some of their backs in the tackle. Rattle them. Remember they'll be as nervous as hell as they are closer (at the moment) to the drop than we are.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
Our pack looks decent, it is a shame that Stuart has to start as he hasn't been on his best form - JCW and Brookes are still working back from injury though. Second row looks strong as do the back row forwards.  They need to keep busy all afternoon.

As a set of individuals the back line looks decent, our issue this season has been in working as a collective.  As for Sirker and Umaga, it is tough to throw them I to a game like this; especially when the back line cohesion is a bit all over the place.

I'm nervous as hell about this and really hope William Hill is correct with his prediction...

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
All this talk or Sirker..especially on DW's. It just isn't reality to go from A league to a prem run in.

I haven't seen him clips aside, so for those in the know, what is this guys USP because unless he has some sort of magic that sets him apart from a decent set of wheels, he just isn't going to leap the incumbents.

Umaga I get..

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 04:51:16 PM »
This is such a scary one.
One win should see us safe, but we are not getting it vs the top two, so now or never.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 05:18:00 PM »
All this talk or Sirker..especially on DW's. It just isn't reality to go from A league to a prem run in.

I haven't seen him clips aside, so for those in the know, what is this guys USP because unless he has some sort of magic that sets him apart from a decent set of wheels, he just isn't going to leap the incumbents.

Umaga I get..

Sirker is different in that if he can just get a yard or two away from a tackler (anyone, no matter how fast), he just turns the afterburners on and goes like Billy Whiz. There is no description to do his speed justice. You see him change speed, and he almost makes one pace of extra gap for every pace the defender makes chasing him. As a consequence, you see defenders giving up very quickly as he pulls away from them so rapidly. The effect is very demoralizing on the player trying to mark him. The next time, same thing. He just keeps it up all game, and amasses a huge metres gained total. You would expect him to run out of steam, but he looks like he has been out for a stroll. The reality is a team would need to have three on him to have a chance of marking him. And that is expensive. I know Basset is fast, but Sirker looks faster and can step his man at slow or fast pace, whereas Basset tends to try to run through them. Sirker is also often all over the field looking for it. He will quite happily go through the middle of standing forwards like a ghost. He is also different in that he is good defensively. Often rare for a winger.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
Come on Nelly, don't hold back!

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »

Umaga I get..

Sirker is different in that if he can just get a yard or two away from a tackler (anyone, no matter how fast), he just turns the afterburners on and goes like Billy Whiz. There is no description to do his speed justice. You see him change speed, and he almost makes one pace of extra gap for every pace the defender makes chasing him. As a consequence, you see defenders giving up very quickly as he pulls away from them so rapidly. The effect is very demoralizing on the player trying to mark him. The next time, same thing. He just keeps it up all game, and amasses a huge metres gained total. You would expect him to run out of steam, but he looks like he has been out for a stroll. The reality is a team would need to have three on him to have a chance of marking him. And that is expensive. I know Basset is fast, but Sirker looks faster and can step his man at slow or fast pace, whereas Basset tends to try to run through them. Sirker is also often all over the field looking for it. He will quite happily go through the middle of standing forwards like a ghost. He is also different in that he is good defensively. Often rare for a winger.

Completely agree with Nelly - Sirker isn't just a "set of wheels." He's a boy with a jetpack!

In Marcus Watson's own words (taken from Instagram) - "the boy fast as hell!"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:12:33 PM by Damian68 »

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 06:33:43 PM »

Umaga I get..

I appreciate that reply Nelly, plugs my knowledge gap, thank you.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 07:54:51 AM »
I think if WLR and Daly have at least average games today I see our stronger pack seeing us home for a hard fought win.