Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Leavers list  (Read 5555 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps Leavers list
« on: May 03, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »
On the offy (link anyone please). Confirms Gaby and Myall leaving.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Leavers list
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 11:09:44 AM »
Offy LInk  https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps-confirm-departing-players/

Departing first-team players
Joe Atkinson (Bedford Blues)
Michele Campagnaro (Harlequins)
Jake Cooper-Woolley (Sale Sharks)
Elliot Daly (Saracens)
Craig Hampson (Ealing Trailfinders)
Antonio Harris (Jersey Reds)
Nathan Hughes (Bristol Bears)
Willie Le Roux (Toyota Verblitz)
Gaby Lovobalavu
Kearnan Myall
Joe Simpson (Gloucester Rugby)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby)

Was surprised by Myall.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps-confirm-departing-players/

No other surprises in the list, they’ve all been announced (I think).  Interesting to see who fills the void (Whether it’s someone experienced we sign or promote from the Academy).  Myall has generally been excellent in the line outs for us, but is consistently 4th choice now with Rowland’s in and Matthews could fill Myall’s boots easily enough.

Be a shame to see Gaby go as whilst he’s had a quiet season, he’s been pretty decent for us overall.  With Fekitoa coming and JdJ/Gopperth likely partnering him we’re pretty set for first choice centres.  Then we have Neal, MLB behind them.  Hopefully it opens up for Umaga to be promoted rather than splashing the cash.  Isn’t there another academy centre who’s meant to be pretty good (Is it Spink?).

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »
I wonder if Gaby has decided to call it a day?

Apart from Fekitoa, I don't think there have been any other centre announcements so is Dai expecting Neale and Booj to step up to the plate?

I think both have the talent and physicallity to succeed, we'll find out whether mentally they can handle the expectation.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
Spink is indeed a centre, and quite well thought of. Anderson has played for Scotland U20s as well, he may be able to step up.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »
Acouple of quotes from Bobby Bridge.

I understand Kearnan Myall is looking to step back into part-time rugby to support his increasing Academic studies.

I spoke with Dai a couple of weeks ago and it was mentioned that Lovobalavu may be seeking a return to France to end his rugby career.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »
I think Gaby's wife is French as well, may be wrong.
It was fine when I left it.....

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »
Dai was on record talking about a centre even after Fekitoa signed.
Booj could well grow into an Atkinson/12T role but as we know he was also found out a few times. Neal has more potential but possibly not at 12.
Still early for spink, Anderson and Simmonds but hopefully they can get more gametime next season although Simmonds and Spink have been injured a fair bit this season, which I do worry about with some of these young guys coming through.

Wonder if we’ll look to sign a 2nd Row, I hope so but can see Dai seeing Matthews as 4th choice with Cardall and Garratt fighting it out for 5th choice.
Myall is an astute lineout operative but having Matthews there already off sets that.

Thought Garratt might have gone too but there is still untapped potential there so maybe Dai is hoping to see him fit first.
Other than that no surprises.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
Neal is a 13 by trade and a bit like Daly if anything he’s a 13/wing rather than a 12/13 a la JdJ (I think)

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »

I spoke with Dai a couple of weeks ago and it was mentioned that Lovobalavu may be seeking a return to France to end his rugby career.

ProD2 would be a good option for him. Ambrose Curtis is enjoying life in Vannes.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
Apart from Nathan and Stuart, the rest doesn’t bother me.

Bring in a 2nd row a centre and a winger then let’s see what that does.

It’s all about the coaches getting the players to maintain a high intensity. It’s been far to up and down this season, which the coaches must fix

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »
12 is a difficult position to play and also is very responsible. Across England there has been a bit of a drought - Brad B for Sarries is an old lag, but probably one of the first on the team sheet.

We were a little unlucky  in that Booj had to fill big boots in Jimmy's and for me ended up playing too many games too soon into his Prem career. We'd have wanted Jimmy to ease Lima in and Booj to gain experience from the bench, rather than have to play. Overall, I think he did pretty well - there were bound to be mistakes - first season up from the Champ.

Jimmy being fit provides some breathing space - I'd prefer us to have the right target 12 or academy promotion as JdeJ seems decent there, and with 13 cover, we're probably ok if not bursting at the seams.

My first priority looking at the leavers would still be a SR. We have academy wingers in hand, and a 12 would be a luxury. I think losing Gaby is a bit of a shame - as he did show (when fit, obviously) what someone familiar with playing 12 can bring to the position. If Sam Hill from Exeter got "proper" fit - I'd be interested in looking - very Brad B plus  some nuance when he was first around.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »
For me, Booj lacked/lacks the key requirement; being a playmaker. Maybe it will come. If I were him, I would be taking personal coaching classes from Jimmy on how to fill that role.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
For me, Booj lacked/lacks the key requirement; being a playmaker. Maybe it will come. If I were him, I would be taking personal coaching classes from Jimmy on how to fill that role.

He's been playing the jimmy role in the A team that I can see. Lots of time at first receiver, then either out the back to Umaga, onto a charging forwards, or carry himself.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 06:58:20 PM »
Indeed, but, watching those games myself where I could, it was Umaga making the calls and being the playmaker, whereas in our first team we have Sopoaga or Miller at 10, and they do not do that, or at least do not appear to. Booj was great with having a playmaker inside him.