Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens’ dominance will not end any time soon after Champions Cup victory over  (Read 5485 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
From Owen Slot in The Times :

For the last five minutes of this Heineken Champions Cup final, Leinster laboured away in their own 22, hammering at the Saracens defence, pounding away again and again to try to find a way through. They had, by then, been brought well and truly to heel and the question they left behind was: if they could not find a way, then who can?

Saracens have one half of the double and, with due respect to Exeter Chiefs, Gloucester and whoever qualifies fourth, they were favourites to win the Gallagher Premiership before the weekend and, surely, even stronger favourites now.

An exhibition of their ridiculous array of qualities was magnificently staged at St James’ Park, in Newcastle, on Saturday: their ability to come back from behind, their refusal to be rattled by a ten-point deficit, their ability to think for themselves and turn it around and then, in the last half hour, their sheer power and the accuracy with which they applied it, negating so much of their Irish opposition and thus reining in the influence of Johnny Sexton, the world player of the year.

When Leo Cullen, the Leinster head coach, addressed this in his press conference, he described the Saracens forwards and how he found himself looking up at them in the tunnel before the game with a sense of awe.

“They are big, big men,” he said, “very big men. We don’t have access to many players like that.” And he asked openly the question that his Leinster team had failed to answer: “How do you play against this type of team that suffocates you? They try and steamroller you and they are very good at it.”

For Saracens’ rivals, the hope may fester that, at some point, they will hit their peak and start to decline. For now, though, there is absolutely no sign of this.

What Saracens achieved was to push their performance to new heights. Jamie George has had already won two European titles, a grand slam with England and a Lions Test in New Zealand, but he was unswerving in the opinion that, “That’s the best feeling I’ve ever had on a rugby field”.

How so? “That was the hardest we have had to work for a European trophy; that’s why it’s the best feeling.”

And might there be a sense that they are sated, that they have laurels upon which they can rest? This is George again: “The season that we’ve had, the amount of outside negativity that we’ve had — it just goes to show that if we stay tight as a group we can do anything. Yeah, it’s us versus the world and that’s fine by us.”

The squad are agreed that Leinster forced probably their best ever rugby from them. Their performance in the final two years ago, when they beat Clermont Auvergne in Murrayfield, had been considered a benchmark, but, not any more.

“I thought we went to a level in that second half, against a high-class team, that we haven’t been at,” Mark McCall, the Saracens director of rugby, said.

And as for the double, McCall referenced Saracens’ semi-final defeat against Exeter, two years ago, which came the week after their Clermont win. “A big regret that we have, in 2017, is that we had Exeter away in the Premiership semi-final and we lost in the last minute,” McCall said. “It was seven days after the European Cup final and we had partied too much.

“Exeter are a brilliant team so we didn’t quite blow the opportunity but we weren’t as prepared as we needed to be. The fact that we have two weeks for the semi-final gives us no excuse.

“We are capable of continuing our season. We have got a home semi-final and we have worked dammed hard to get a home semi-final over 22 weeks. We have used 50 players to do that. I don’t want us to blow that.”

A big part of all this is the team’s ability to perform on the day. “That’s the best thing about the group,” George said. “Genuinely all the players are so reliable and they love the big occasion.”

Thus it was, on Friday in the team meeting, that Billy Vunipola stood and addressed the players. “He told us he was going to show up,” Maro Itoje said. “And he did that in abundance.” Indeed he did.

According to George, “he’s the best No 8 in the world at the minute”.

That may be a slightly rose-tinted opinion. Vunipola has not quite asserted himself this year as he did in 2016 and 2017. In the Champions Cup semi-final against Munster, though, he was man of the match and closer to his awesome peak. In this final, he raised his game back to its very best.

The try he scored, with four defenders failing to stop him, was a finish that few players on the planet would have managed. There was intelligence, here, as well as brute force. Leinster were a man down after Scott Fardy’s yellow card and had just been smashed in a scrum.

When Jérôme Garcès, the referee, called for a scrum reset, Leinster pulled in Robbie Henshaw from his position at inside centre and, as Vunipola said: “I knew they were a man down, so I just thought I’d have a go.”

Where does this all end? Not for the foreseeable future. The age profile of the team suggests that they are more likely, still, to improve rather than recede.

There are a few essential parts of the machine who are in their thirties — Brad Barritt is 32, Alex Goode is 31 — but no panic, they have the England star Elliot Daly arriving next season.

The internal production line looks as good as ever too because it was not just the one final for Saracens in Newcastle. This evening, at Kingston Park, Saracens Storm, the A-League team, will contest their final against Newcastle Falcons — which suggests that the strength-in-depth is set to get even deeper.

They are already deep enough to allow most protagonists a week off, this Saturday, against Worcester Warriors. The following weekend they will be all guns blazing in a home Premiership semi-final. And on it goes.

Scorers: Leinster: Try Furlong (32min). Conversion Sexton. Penalty goal Sexton (4). Saracens: Tries Maitland (40+2), B Vunipola (67). Conversions Farrell 2. Penalty goals Farrell 2 (39, 59).

Scoring sequence (Leinster first): 3-0, 10-0, 10-3, 10-8, 10-10 (half-time), 10-13, 10-20.

Leinster R Kearney; J Larmour, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, J Lowe; J Sexton, L McGrath; C Healy (rep: J McGrath 62), S Cronin (rep: J Tracy 51), T Furlong (rep: M Bent 70), D Toner (rep: M Deegan 74), J Ryan, S Fardy (sin-bin 58), S O’Brien (rep: R Ruddock 62), J Conan.

Saracens A Goode; L Williams, A Lozowski, B Barritt, S Maitland; O Farrell, B Spencer (rep: R Wigglesworth 56); M Vunipola (rep: R Barrington 30), J George, T Lamositele (rep: V Kock 30), W Skelton (rep: N Isiekwe 62), G Kruis, M Itoje (sin-bin 30), J Wray, B Vunipola (rep: S Burger 75).

Referee J Garcès (France).

English clubs reign supreme
3 Times Saracens have won the tournament — in three of the past four years. It brings them level with Toulon’s haul and only one behind Toulouse and Leinster, who have won it four times each. They are now clear of Leicester Tigers, Munster and Wasps who have two titles apiece.

9 Titles won by English clubs (Saracens 3, Leicester and Wasps 2 each and Northampton and Bath 1), moving one clear of French teams (eight) and two clear of Irish teams (seven). A Scottish or Welsh team has never won it.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Irish have a real thing about the size of the Sarries pack.

Toner, Ryan, Healey, Furlong, Cronin, O'Brien, Conan... I don't know who their last pack member, but none of those guys can be described as small for their position, if anything, they're all large for their positions compared to most.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Watching the game on TV (thanks for showing, Channel 4) was like watching a masterclass.

The tackle stats were insane. Almost every tackle was two on one. The fitness required to sustain this, for such big players, is insane. Leinster battered that defence over and over. And got pushed backwards time and time again. Saracens made sure that Leinster committed many players to the breakdown, and then disengaged their own players. They kept Leinster having to do this because, every few scrums, someone like Itoje came in and made an absolute nuisance of themselves. He wasn't (mainly) trying to get the ball, more trying to be disruptive. It was very effective.

The Sarries pack pushed the Leinster pack all over the place. In the lineout, Sarries (Itoje) mainly made a nuisance of himself, trying to disrupt. He is very good at jumping and knocking the receiver's arm, but not hooking it (thus avoiding being pinged). It means someone has to try to disrupt Itoje from hitting the receiver, so you actually need two jumpers; one to catch the ball, one to disrupt Itoje. For me, Itoje was the MOTM, and is the reason Sarries are so dominant. He is not above foul play to achieve his aims, but he has become very wily already, avoiding being seen by the officials. Any referee should watch a video montage of his tricks before any game to get wise to him. But, 99% of what he does is legal and effective.

A team will only beat Sarries if they dismantle these tactics and force them to play a different game. And kicking over the top is a REALLY bad idea.

If you get to watch the highlights, watch how Sarries fenced Leinster in to their own 22 at the end of the game. That end game play was superb, and probably trained for. Think of what they did. 10 minutes to go, let Leinster have the ball and then pin them down. Don't give any penalties away and they are stuck in their own 22.

Suffocation is the word.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing, Heathen. The estate agents' dominance will end mighty soon if they are proven to have illegally evaded the salary cap and are sanctioned accordingly. Some say that they have not infringed a salary cap in Europe because there is effectively not one. However, the squad has been built in the Premiership league by possibly transgressing the salary cap. It has yet to be proved.
Of the XV that started on Saturday: 14 are full internationals (Jackson Wray the solitary exception), including 6 capped Lions as well as 2 uncapped Lions. There were 6 internationals on the bench, not all of whom were used. The salary cap discussion has been done to death - particularly on the DW site where numerous EA supporters pitch in to defend their club. Looking at those figures only further entrench me in the 'they're bent' group. So for me, their dominance is founded on fraud.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
+1  They are just like Lance Armstrong in my book.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Unfortunately for the game it's a +1 from me. I cannot see how that level of team can be maintained on the same cost basis as (say) Wasps.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Its all gone a bit worringly quiet on the salary cap investigation by PRL. I have a horrible feeling this will simply be brushed aside.

But if it does.. expect a lot of other clubs with rich benefactors to follow suit

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
They have to do something; enforce or remove the salary cap.  You can't just pretend it didn't happen...and then pretend that nobody else will do similar.  That would bring the whole game in to disrepute.  I would hope that things will pick up again after EAs have won the Premiership again.

A perfectly possible outcome could be that they didn't break the letter of the Cap, but they did break the spirit. So there may be no retrospective action but a redefining of the cap.  I can see that happening.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
I haven't done the research but I don't think there are any other clubs that come close to their experience and quality
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let's say they are found to have broken the salary cap, can't see them being told to immediately dismantle their squad and produce one at the cap level for next season, would be totally impractical and unenforceable.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
They could be relegated a couple of divisions (isn't that what happened in the ARL a few years ago, I forget the team). That would have the same effect and be more practical.  It won't happen though.

Parawasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The European Champions Cup (and the Heineken before that) was always intended to be the intermediate step between club rugby and internationals. What Saracens have done is to accumulate a group of internationals and near internationals which is capable of making the step, a sufficiently large squad to be able to rotate without seriously weakening the team. You could say the same for Leinster and Munster. England benefit from having so many of its internationals playing together week in week out rather than one or two regulars per team spread across the GP. Even better for the RFU is that it is Saracens money which is paying for all this rather than their own, and England is the main beneficiary of this concentration of EQP talent.

This is not an apology for the Saracens way, nor am I advocating that anyone else should do the same, I merely wish to suggest that European success today can only come at such a cost. Furthermore, with the salary cap as it is and the GP as competitive as it is (and the fear of relegation), it is very difficult to get to this intermediate step. Toulouse seem to have managed it this year, Exeter, for example, seem to find the step up too difficult.
Again, I am not advocating any changes to the salary cap and the overall organisation, any changes would probably only lead to bigger losses and undo all the work that clubs are doing in attempting to become profitable.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
On that basis other clubs with rich benefactors will do the same.  That would have the opposite effect for growing the game.

A completely different approach, which would make the GPL more competitive - have 4 regions of 3 teams each with each contribution players to a region which then competes in Europe.  Proceeds from these matches are then distributed to the clubs (maybe based on the number of players contributed).  It would though mean a change in the European format - 2 conferences maybe of 1 Scottish or other nation, 1 Irish, 1 Welsh, 1 English and 1 French teams.  That could work and then even out the imbalances between different countries structures.

Then enforce the salary cap properly for domestic competitions.

Just a thought.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Let's say they are found to have broken the salary cap, can't see them being told to immediately dismantle their squad and produce one at the cap level for next season, would be totally impractical and unenforceable.

I think the cap will have to be re-defined to include all NEW contracts (or contract extensions) that have this sort of co-investment for the player's future, so the EAs will be allowed to get away with it and then the effect will take a few years to become effective. I can also see all other Prem clubs being very unhappy about giving the EAs such an advantage for a few years.

Brush .... carpet.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Whatever else is attempted, the salary cap should be strictly enforced (with proper sanctions if breached) otherwise what is the point?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!