Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Opinion: Wasps enter new era after superstar-laden Ricoh Arena years  (Read 4488 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Bobby Bridge gives his verdict on Dai Young's squad heading into Gallagher Premiership season

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-ricoh-arena-16421744

I'm always optimistic. Getting excited already about next season. It may be a bit of a roller coaster but there will be a lot of competition within the squad. With Malakai in the team, Lima should blossom. Hopefully Dobby, Billy and Matteo will all fully recover. I am concerned about fly half, should Billy not get over his horrendous injury. I would like to hear something positive about Jacob Umaga who may not be comfortable with being 3rd choice.

We certainly aren't rushing to strengthen our coaching team which I believe to be the correct way to go about it. Edwards was an unwanted distraction.

COYW.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion: Wasps enter new era after superstar-laden Ricoh Arena years
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »
Ross, when you say
We certainly aren't rushing to strengthen our coaching team which I believe to be the correct way to go about it

do you mean the correct way is to strengthen the coaching team and Wasps aren't doing it?
Or do you agree with wasps approach to strengthen it but not to rush into appointing just anyone?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »
The latter.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 12:49:30 PM »
The latter.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
Thanks for clarifying :)

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
I am not sure that "superstar-laden" is an accurate reflection on previous years. We had a few, but were not exactly a Real-Madrid type "galactico" team. Some who might now be considered superstars were not so when they joined us (e.g. Nathan, Gopps) and developed at Wasps.

This year looks like a good balance between numbers and quality (or potential quality), perhaps some longer-serving players who were with us for the move to Coventry were on larger than normal salaries and now there is more money to spread about.

I think it could be another slightly shaky year as it takes a while to gel as a team with a lot of new players and we are a bit behind the development at Saints and Gloucester, but if we can use the numbers and avoid the injuries and develop as a team during the year then there should be a steady improvement leading to a better year then the one just gone, and hopefully better ones to follow.

Optimistic as ever of course.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »
I like the make up of the squad with the investments in youth from within and other signings but I still feel that without adjustments to coaching and general club ethos/identity I’m still not massively confident we will see an improvement in our consistency next year

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
Vaguely relevant? Just read this from 2014 in the pre-season predictions article:

"Wasps' potential has never quite been realised in recent seasons because of their ongoing medical bill.

"Seeing both Tom Varndell and Christian Wade as regulars on the team sheet should do wonders for the fans' nerves. If they pick up this season where they left off the last - doing the double over Stade Francais to secure the last European Rugby Champions Cup spot - this maturing team will cause problems for others in all competitions.

"Dai Young will have been hard pressed to ignore the number of points scored against them in their 2013-14 campaign and no doubt attention will have been paid to tighten up their defence. "

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 02:57:17 PM »
Sorry, i dip in and out here, so at 10 we have Lima, and who else we know has signed and is fit and is fly half by trade?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 03:07:07 PM »
Gopperth is/was a 10... then we have Searle along with Umaga and Miller who can cover. The problem with a third-choice 10 who can only play 10 is they’re either useless, or tend to move on for better chances of first-Team rugby if they’re any good.

That’s why it’s best to have a first/second choice then utility players/academy players to cover

ps not sure I agree Wasps have turned Gopperth into a Superstar, I think we (I certainly did) underestimated his capabilities.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
I think Gopps was a decent 10 who, it just turned out, happened to be a bloody brilliant 12! We were lucky to be in a position to have a brilliant 10 to play alongside him and a lack of top class, fit, inside centres which moved Gopps into the 12 shirt. I don't think there was any masterplan to develop Gopps as a 12 but once it was apparent how good he was there we decided to stick with it.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
I'm always optimistic but I think with good reason this year. For me we have a better balanced squad this year both in terms of options and the mix of youth and experience. Hopefully we'll have a bit more luck with injuries and a few less bizarre distractions as well.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 08:44:54 AM »
I agree - I think the squad looks better balanced in many ways - lots of front row options and ability to rotate across the team with just a little luck with injuries.

The only player I will miss is Wade - but that's history now and I am looking forwards to seeing Marcus and the rest torture defences next season and just hope we manage our academy graduates well...

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »
After watching Wasps on TV all season and being at the Quins game then watching Sarries and Exeter in cup finals it seems evident to me that Wasps need a huge step up in S&C and need to invest there.

The fitness and ability of the top teams to play at high intensity for long periods and not drop off at the end is an enormous contributing factor in their success.

When Gats was DOR he put a lot of work into that area and had innovative ideas thst paid dividends. Same with Wales. Maybe that's why the national side are successful but regions aren't.

So for me, a set of the fitest reasonably talented and determined players who play together in a well coached team (e.g. Exeter) will usually beat a team of superstars who cannot play at a high intensity for long (e.g. Wasps).

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
Sarries as a squad do seem a lot fitter than most teams.. especially their massive forwards who seem to be abe to run around at a high pace all day long which is obviously aerobic fitness.. which isn't normally associated with people with heavy muscle mass.

This extra fitness allows them to harry teams (rush defence) for long periods

They may be using science/research from other sports (long distance cycling,swimming) to increase VO2 max levels.

I watched a program where (ignoring the asthma medicins) research discovered that cafeine prior to physical activity enabled the body to absorb more oyxgen (is it the red blood cells that do that)..

I presume that would be cafeine tablets not some of Brad's products though  ;D