Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Opinion: Wasps enter new era after superstar-laden Ricoh Arena years  (Read 4487 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion: Wasps enter new era after superstar-laden Ricoh Arena years
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:24 PM »
Whilst this might be construed as anti Sarries - part of their forwards' ability is surely down to being able to select so many top level forwards - taking some of the pressure off each other? How they can is another question

Thing is with Exeter - they really are v fit but we were able to compete with them (beat them too!) but they weren't putting out at their best, up to 5 starting Lions forwards like Sarries can. And for me - that allows them to look even fitter (than they really are) If George and Itoje and Vuni x 2 can all take the ball forwards - they get less tired perhaps?

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
Our level of intensity and sustainability of effort has been terrible most of the season. The Quins game, which I saw live and which we were the better team for most of it, was in marked contrast to the speed and intensity of Sarries and Exeter in the following 3 weeks at the business end of the season.

Even when we finished first and played some scintillating rugby we often fell away for periods letting teams back in when we were miles ahead. We also finished several seasons looking jaded. This is definitely a fitness and concentration issue. Significantly, when Gats was in charge we were famous for peaking at the end of a season.

Interestingly when we beat Exeter recently we managed to concentrate and maintain defensive intensity for a sustained period at the death. So the team is capable but not consistently. Lots of injuries don't help but maybe there's a connection with S&C standards and that to some degree.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »
We still have plenty of superstars, it is just that Shields, Lima, Fekitoa have yet to really make their mark to the same effectiveness of, say, Joe L or Dan R. Obviously we have not seen Fekitoa in b and g and whilst I think Shields will have a battle to secure a starting slot with lots of competition, he has not done badly so far. Lima has to show this year.
A lot of our old superstars developed at the club, and were weighted more towards the backs in number, giving the impression of a galactico team that was not really fair.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
Well, let’s at least give Fekitoa a chance!  ;)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »
This season will hopefully be the reverse of others in that we won't start off with as many 'galacticio's' but we might finish off with some (or some on their way to becoming one). As others have said we still have our share in the likes of Sopoaga, Shields, Fekitoa, Launchbury and Young. Alongside these we'll have Willis x 2 developing, Robson and Vellacott looks exciting and Bassett and Watson could be touching on England selection if they continue their form. On the strength and conditioning I don't think there's anything in it in terms of measurable differences between us and others. Especially last season I suspect we played a load of games with players on the field who shouldn't really have been.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
How long has Fekitoa signed for.

From what I saw in the BaaBaas game he will be a good addition to the squad (famous last words). He seems to be more direct in his running lines which I think was our major weakness last season.

Too many times we used the "pullback ball" from 1st receiver to a looping Lima who then tried to pass a wide ball to 13 to try and get around the oncoming umbrella defence.. most of the time it didn't work (slow ball from the 9, and it was all a bit predictable)  , ending up with someone being tackled 10 m behind the gain line.

As nearly everyone has said, I hope we have more luck with injuries (especially with long term ones) as we have a good, varied squad on paper. I can't see Exeter or Sarries being troubled again but with a bit of luck I'm hopnig we can fight for the 3rd - 6th positions.. rather than be looking over our shoulders towards the bottom end of the table.

I also hope, we make a better challenge of the Premiership Cup. Its no coincidence that teams that have done well in tha compeeition 3or 4 years ago are now at the top of the league.

Last season (and the one before), we simply didn't have the resources

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 10:20:09 AM »
Wasps never quote contracts but they do seem to use a 2 + 1 type. That is a two year plus one year option.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »
We should have 40+ players available for the Premiership Cup. In addition, it will be interesting what, if any, preseason games are arranged. I see no reason why the Premiership Cup should not be more evenly contested by all 12 sides this season.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
Who are we going to possibly lose during the WC..
Launchers
Shields
Robson ?
Zuzu?
Minozzi?

The last 3 have slight question marks over them. If Minozzi and Robson can't take part in the Pre WC warm up matches their selection is questionable. .

Is ZuZu still on Georgia's radar?

Then there's the few players with long term injuries, or returning from them...